How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

19-09-2012
V.I.P.

It's okay. I've often felt that way about Tom Ford.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged

19-09-2012
rising star

I like the cyber-style of the mesh dress, it´s very modern. The orthopedic-like boots are interesting, they remind me of Alexander Mc Queen´s ones in 1999; but these ones are more wearable and urban.
The rest of the looks seem very sport. Nothing wrong with sport style...it is just that I think they lack the standard sophisticated touch of Tom.

20-09-2012
fashion insider

Very Kanye West. LOL

20-09-2012
backstage pass

Loving the kinkyglam sports looks of the release to the Telegraph. And the glam mid 60's Courreges inspired metallic look of the release to the Guardian. The beehives are a distraction though, gives more of a sixties vibe than was strictly necessary. The garments, especially in the Telegraph looks, are in fact more toward an AWang vibe than recent Bottega Veneta. Though, of course, core positioning remains in Gucci/Versace territory. Looking like an interesting collection. Sexy; of course. But this time with an element of urban edge. Bravo.

20-09-2012
V.I.P.

I'm just over Tom Ford, he thinks he is so superior than everyone else that his collections are not even supposed to be seen, for me he's just a middle age guy with ego issues.

scenester

Looooovvvvve it so far!
Also love that it's not tweeted, facebooked, pinterested like everything else. Tom plays by his own rules and I find that interesting.
Posted via Mobile Device

20-09-2012
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPedro View Post
I'm just over Tom Ford, he thinks he is so superior than everyone else that his collections are not even supposed to be seen, for me he's just a middle age guy with ego issues.
LOL It's possible to look at it that despite the hirsute, alpha male swagger of his fronting; that his 'elitism' of denying mass attention, now seeping out a few tasters, is in fact part silly (and ineffective) marketing/ part oversensitivity to criticism. Having not done womenswear for a while, last season he was worried how he might be received. This year a little more confident. Sensitive little lamb

20-09-2012
V.I.P.

Haha...the Kanye West comparison is brilliant and quite a fair one. Can't believe I use to adore his work. Bertelli is right, he is a good marketer but design, not so much!

20-09-2012
backstage pass

Having not seen the entire collection, I'll reserve judgement. I've always liked his previous collections since his return that were unabashedly, unapologetically opulent, excessive, decadent, luxurious and very unashamedly YSL. But if these are the few images Tom wishes to represent his current collection and new direction, then I'm less than impressed, to say the least.

Never thought I would think this about a designer I like-- least of all about Tom, but I agree with GIVENCHYlover that it's looking very much like Kanye... That hoodie with the metallic skirt is dreadful-- and I don't think even Kanye would do that. It's so bland, outdated and cheap-looking. If that's what Tom considers urban, then he's really stuck in the early 2000s-- not in a Tom Ford-for-Gucci good way, but more in a Mariah Carey / JLo kinda way.

20-09-2012
fashion insider

I don't think his recent work has been as good as his past work at all.

V.I.P.

Kanye West LOL!
I will not put Tom Ford's name in same the sentence with him. These clothes are Tom Ford, if anything, other designers copy his work, and because people have short memories they forget Mr. Ford came up with them in the first place.

20-09-2012
V.I.P.

I love how Tom Ford has only 4 pages in 2012, whereas 8 yrs ago this thread would be as huge as the Prada one ...

What happened since his come-back ?

but frankly this looks not very interesting ...

20-09-2012
barcode

^ Well in all fairness I think the fact that his shows aren't presented as proper "shows", that images aren't available within minutes and that video doesn't exist plays a big part in why his threads don't blow up like they did in the Gucci days. If that's not the only reason I'd say it's certainly a big one.

I think fashion's also changed, no one (viewers I mean) has patience anymore for a designer just doing their own thing whether it's of the moment or not. It's all about the new and the now.

21-09-2012
windowshopping

Why on earth would Tom Ford care that his posts no longer "blow up" on thefashionspot.com forums? He only cares about his customers ( as he should)...and Even though I would like to see his full collections posted, If I were spending $12,000 on a Tom ford dress, I would be very happy to know that I wouldn't see it in the window of Topshop, before it was even delivered to my penthouse, lol!

21-09-2012
V.I.P.

^ OMG ...
#own censorship #

I'm just talking about how tFS-ers behave, not judging Tom Ford collection related to the number of posts ...
Just saying it seems people around here don't care anymore ... Perhaps, it's because there are not so much images, maybe it's because tFS readership and population have changed, evolved ...

Why, those days, every time someone says something there's somebody else saying I don't think he/she cares about tFS comments ??? Am I talking to Tom Ford, here ? Or am I talking to tfs-ers ... I think the people I speak to and interact with are the latest ...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2013, ford, london, s or s, tom