How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-07-2008
V.I.P.

She's doing so much better in my opinion, than Valentino himself..... So much that she's not following in his footsteps but bringing in a more clean, structured and modern feel to the couture line.

Of course the sexy in your face night gowns are replaced by more intricate designs, but the inspiration is a bit all over the place (I see Chanel, Balenciaga, etc...)

Really UNTRUE to the Valentino look.

03-07-2008
trendsetter

Some of the pieces scare me, others I really love. I love that red dress Natasha P is wearing.

Failed at Gucci, soared in Valentino. Who knew?

03-07-2008
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimkhuu View Post

Really UNTRUE to the Valentino look.
but isn't that a bad thing?

she's working for Valentino. She should creating designs that stay true to the Valentino look. Or at least looks that the Valentino woman is accustomed to.

03-07-2008
Fat Karl

I love what Alessandra is wearing! She's always very chic.

I love the music!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=o3kXlEugQAw

mme
backstage pass

Stunninnng, I think she really proved herself here! Different aesthetic, same spirit. I'm glad Valentino is moving forward.

^Love the video, thanks for posting!

Last edited by mme; 03-07-2008 at 11:16 PM.
03-07-2008
V.I.P.

ooooooh...i'm liking most of it. especially that last red dress, zomg...

04-07-2008
fashion insider

I give her credit for trying some surprising Balenciaga-like shapes but she gets it wrong, eg. instead of a light cocoon of a skirt, it comes off as heavy, cumbersome and leaden. The models look terrible, clunky and "full" in a lot of these ill-fitted clothes, and they're stick thin. The over-embroidered stuff are simply awful. I want to like it, but it is so badly conceived, cut and made in so many ways. Valentino, though always doing the same pretty frilly HC looks, did it impeccably.

Last edited by Zazie; 04-07-2008 at 01:02 AM.
04-07-2008
V.I.P.

MQ

04-07-2008
V.I.P.

Mq

Last edited by Emilia; 04-07-2008 at 03:39 AM.
04-07-2008
V.I.P.

Mq

Gamma-Presse

Last edited by Emilia; 04-07-2008 at 03:40 AM.
04-07-2008
V.I.P.

Found more HQ!

Last edited by Emilia; 04-07-2008 at 06:52 AM.
04-07-2008
V.I.P.

FWD

Last edited by Emilia; 04-07-2008 at 06:52 AM.
04-07-2008
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Sarah Mower from Style.com"
PARIS, July 2, 2008 – First steps on a couture runway are daunting for any young designer, especially if she's following a master like Valentino. Alessandra Facchinetti carried it off with quiet grace and a point of view that promises to bring a breath of fresh air to the house. "I researched embroidery, looked at van Dyck and contemporary paper sculpture," she said. "I was looking for a strong way to interpret romance, but without the usual sweetness."

While maintaining respect for Valentino's oeuvre of pristine lunch suits, flowery embroidery, and red dresses, she managed to express her own flair for making chiffon flow and flutter in an immaculately wispy way. The van Dyck reference gave her the idea for playing with lace in pale wool embroideries, laser-filigree cuffs, and buttons—all elements that contributed to her redrawing of the outlines of Valentino's classic suitings with curved, slightly space-age volumes. If there was a glitch, it lay in some of the overloaded embroideries made with knotted skeins of wool, minute silver plastic cogs, and tiny hemispherical domes of georgette and metal. (Understandable, though, because which designer wouldn't let the thrill of experimenting with the capabilities of Valentino's in-house sewing experts go to her head?) The result was too heavy when cut into some of her curviform suits, and the overembellishment similarly weighed down a hopsack strapless evening gown.

What made that instantly forgivable, though, were the moments when Facchinetti lightened up her designs with a waft of chiffon. There is something incredibly refined in her choices of barely-there tints of ivory, nude, eau de nil, dusty pink, and lilac, and in her finishes: minuscule rolled hems on trumpet sleeves, petal-like ruffles fluttering in the small of a back, and flyaway trains. As fragile as these might seem, they're a signature to build on, and one that Mr. Valentino, should he inspect this collection from afar, might feel rather happy to behold.
I personally think that Alessandra did a good job- big shoes to fill and I like many of the pieces! some shapes of the dresses look a little too stiff for it to look entirely comfortable or fashionable (I don't think the attempt for the similar Balenciaga shape worked too well) but I likes the choices of shoes- think it complemented the shapes of the dresses, and I have a thing for lovely 'floaty' pieces that are well designed, and I think Alessandra designed those well too- in all, props to Alessandra!

Last edited by sweetpop; 04-07-2008 at 07:40 AM.
04-07-2008
Fat Karl

I really love all the embellished skirt suits.

tfs star

I am becoming more and more fascinated by her work, I think people at Valentino won the lotery by hiring her, she´s so, so perfect!!!, the colors, the silhouettes, the way it looks like Valentino but in a glorified way, it is just perfect, one of my absolute favourite couture collections from this season, viva Alessandra!!

Madeleine Vionnet.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
0809, couture, f or w, haute, paris, valentino