How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

27-01-2011
tfs star

^

Word....

I love the new Valentino. All of there couture collections have been beautiful (even some of SS10). Everyone says "the house is dead" "Valentino should come back" blah blah blah, with that being said I feel like I've seen so many celebrities wearing the "New Valentino". Fashion has to move forward even Valentino.

27-01-2011
V.I.P.

This is getting beyond pathetic now. I just want them to go away.

I really need to google and find out how much money this company making cause I just can't see Valentino's old school clients buying this stuff.

27-01-2011
Plain Ol' Beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiral1532 View Post
Much older. From 1968.
But he did another White collection, that was Couture Spring 2007
Going through the collections you find many dresses reminiscent of old Valentino pieces, but the funny thing is, that they're like bad version of the originals. See:

all pics style.com

Good ol' days.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irulan View Post
But he did another White collection, that was Couture Spring 2007
yes, that's what I meant. Loved this collection! thanx for the reference.

rising star

This is exciting...if we were in the 1900's!!

V.I.P.

Ugly, ugly, ugly.

It will still be a celebrity favourite, though.

Mr. Magic

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)
MENS Runway Model Showlists - Mens RTW S/S 2015

27-01-2011
Fat Karl

These two are really weird. I understand that there is a slight language barrier but their vocabulary seems to consist only of the words "delicate," "fragile" and "elegance." And then, reading the style.com review for the collection I can't help but find myself rolling my eyes at their catchphrases for the season - "If fashion is about today, then today it's time to go back to elegance," and "elegance is subversive." Pretty these clothes may be, but pretty is all they are. It's clear that their design vocabulary is as expansive as their verbal one.

You know, I know it's probably annoying for many to hear a lot of us harping about the good ol' days back when...but these two certainly make it easy to remember Alessandra's magnificent, yet painfully short, tenure at the house. I can remember each of her collections vividly, but wouldn't be able to tell you which season is which when it comes to the work of these two ding dongs.

27-01-2011
backstage pass

This collection for me is better than their RTW but sorry, even though it's in plae the the details may seem so great I just see another RTW collection here. I mean ruffles--again? I know they are trying to make Valentino more youthful like the house of young rich ladies who want to wear pale and nude sheer simple silhouette dresses with ruffles flooded over the dresses. There's nothing show-stopping,mind-blowing, groundbreaking or anything but just a pretty collection that I've seen before. Of course, it's just my opinion. I think they have to move on and let other inspiration of the house and certainly let the house have some glam and colors. And gosh, more red dresses please. It's nice to nude sheer colors on the runway but after like 4 seasons, it's become tiring and I'm just bored.

27-01-2011
V.I.P.

Well, it's not THAT bad....but it's still boring. This is not Valentino - I refuse to blieve so.

27-01-2011
tFS STAFF

Front page on tFS today: Valentino Haute Couture Spring 2011

28-01-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dior_couture1245 View Post
These two are really weird. I understand that there is a slight language barrier but their vocabulary seems to consist only of the words "delicate," "fragile" and "elegance." And then, reading the style.com review for the collection I can't help but find myself rolling my eyes at their catchphrases for the season - "If fashion is about today, then today it's time to go back to elegance," and "elegance is subversive." Pretty these clothes may be, but pretty is all they are. It's clear that their design vocabulary is as expansive as their verbal one.

You know, I know it's probably annoying for many to hear a lot of us harping about the good ol' days back when...but these two certainly make it easy to remember Alessandra's magnificent, yet painfully short, tenure at the house. I can remember each of her collections vividly, but wouldn't be able to tell you which season is which when it comes to the work of these two ding dongs.
yeah, they might be ding dongs; but they produce pretty clothes and that sells. Valentino has always been about "beauty"(said in his accent) and I think that is the right word for this collection.

Alessandra's time at valentino was great, I think, just because it was that short. otherwise people would rag about how awful everything is, if her time was streched until now.

V.I.P.

Quote:
It’s going to be a tough call at Valentino to predict who, out of the youthful front row of European high society, Brandolinis, Santo Domingos and Dellals, will win the race to order the Dress: a white column with bows zizzing down a bared back. It looked like the perfect piece for the lightly tanned young beauties, who spent the recent holiday season in Brazil and Laos.

For summer events (and there are two royal weddings coming up, in London and Monaco), there was plenty of choice: slender long dresses scattered with pale flowers, columns of pleats swaying away from the body and decoration so subtle that it just misted over the silhouette of legs.

In their fifth couture collection, the house’s design duo hit target: to produce a dress that clients were sighing and dying for; and a collection that was very Valentino is spirit — but fresh and young.

The day wear still seems rather too polite and feminine for the jeans-and-crocodile-bag generation. The superlight pleated dresses with long sleeves and just-above-the-knee skirts were pretty enough and came, like the rest of the collection, in a pale version of the signature Valentino cappuccino with a splash of Val red.

The strength of the collection was the delicate decoration with exquisite workmanship achieved by the Roman ateliers.

“It’s the research into lightness — that is the magic of couture,” said Pier Paolo Piccioli, while his fellow designer, Maria Grazia Chiuri, stressed the importance of “personal luxury,” saying: “It is not just about clothes — it is about the woman too and her sensual body.”

The duo has relaxed, making clothes that are no longer artsy, but about the art of couture. The gracious ocean liner that was Valentino is turning slowly in the right direction and Stefano Stassi, the company’s chief executive, says that the company figures reflect the change: up 20 percent overall in 2010, making for fine figures — on the runway and in the financial books.
suzy menkes, iht.com

lost in thought

Oh... seems like the duo will continue there for some time, as long as they continue making "pretty" clothes and all the princesses of the world are happy

Personally, I don't think this was "very Valentino in spirit" - that almost sounds like an euphemism. Valentino's vision was sexy and glamourous.

Alessandra's collections, while stronger than anything that PPP & MGC have presented, were too demure and toned down. I do, however, take Alessandra over these guys anyday!

28-01-2011
no tom ford, no thanks.

but for the ruffles and lace, it could've been chloe. just how long can this house stand under such a lack of vision? the clothes are decent enough. and sure, i even like some of them. but does even a single dress take your breath away like a givenchy gown would? does even one suit conjure that ethereal spirit we saw at chanel? does one pant compare to those svelte numbers at gaultier? and for the red carpet, does any compare to the sheer wattage of a elie saab number? even the red in this collection doesn't feel as rich as it did at dior. this stuff doesn't even compare to the new kid on the block, armani.

seriously, this stuff is just flat. it's stale. it's recycled. it's a cliche. and valentino DESERVES better. i don't know how valentino -- the man -- can stand it. i mean, you throw a chunky belt, a trendy bag, and some funky boots over this stuff and it could honestly be mistaken for chloe. old chloe.

style.com

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2011, couture, haute, paris, s or s, valentino