How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

28-01-2011
Looking Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dior_couture1245 View Post
These two are really weird. I understand that there is a slight language barrier but their vocabulary seems to consist only of the words "delicate," "fragile" and "elegance." And then, reading the style.com review for the collection I can't help but find myself rolling my eyes at their catchphrases for the season - "If fashion is about today, then today it's time to go back to elegance," and "elegance is subversive." Pretty these clothes may be, but pretty is all they are. It's clear that their design vocabulary is as expansive as their verbal one.

You know, I know it's probably annoying for many to hear a lot of us harping about the good ol' days back when...but these two certainly make it easy to remember Alessandra's magnificent, yet painfully short, tenure at the house. I can remember each of her collections vividly, but wouldn't be able to tell you which season is which when it comes to the work of these two ding dongs.
But isn't that what Valentino is? Even at Garavani's peak, the Valentino brand has never been about anything deeper than showstopping beautiful gowns that make women look pretty. His techniques, colours, cuts and styling might have been flashier and more exciting but at the end of the day I see the "old Valentino" as just as a more impressive version of this collection.

Regarding Alessandra, I TRULY believe that woman is simply too good to be stuffed in a fashion house like Valentino. As beautiful and as alluring as Valentino is, it just doesn't support the vision of someone like Alessandra. It's like trying to fit a duvet down the laundry shoot Sorry that was the best way I could put it.

28-01-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeijames View Post
but for the ruffles and lace, it could've been chloe. just how long can this house stand under such a lack of vision? the clothes are decent enough. and sure, i even like some of them. but does even a single dress take your breath away like a givenchy gown would? does even one suit conjure that ethereal spirit we saw at chanel? does one pant compare to those svelte numbers at gaultier? and for the red carpet, does any compare to the sheer wattage of a elie saab number? even the red in this collection doesn't feel as rich as it did at dior. this stuff doesn't even compare to the new kid on the block, armani.

seriously, this stuff is just flat. it's stale. it's recycled. it's a cliche. and valentino DESERVES better. i don't know how valentino -- the man -- can stand it. i mean, you throw a chunky belt, a trendy bag, and some funky boots over this stuff and it could honestly be mistaken for chloe. old chloe.

style.com
i could not agree more, very good comment. there is simply no couture in this collection, nor much vision.....

28-01-2011
V.I.P.

For me it looks like more something of a nina ricci meets rochas vibe
I would never guess it is Valentino
NEVER

V.I.P.

R.I.P Valentino.

What the frick is it with these two and ruffles?

28-01-2011
backstage pass

Gotta admit these gowns move irresistibly.

How ridiculously majestic the swishing sound must be...

28-01-2011
no tom ford, no thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaSvelt View Post
Ugly, ugly, ugly.

It will still be a celebrity favourite, though.
that has more to do with their public relations' team than it does these designs in any way, shape, or form. they have some extremely talented people putting these clothes on the right people. they've proven that. i think they've enlisted carlos souza if my memory serves.

Plain Ol' Beautiful

Quote:
It is not just about clothes ó it is about the woman too and her sensual body.
Yadayadayada. They're such pricks.

Yes, Valentino has always been about the beautiful, but I think Valentino's vision of a beautiful woman was much diffrent from Micky and Minnie Mouse's there. He tended to always cast the same models, gorgeous creatures, grown-up women with shiny hair and red lips. He put them in colours that complimented them and he offered lovely daywear aside from his fantastic gowns. I don't get why people are always trying to tell me that this is the fresh and young, new Valentino. When I was a teenager, there was nothing I wanted more than to wear this brand. Look at his SS 07 collection, that was full of easy breezy summer dresses for young girls.
Today I'm a grown woman who could afford checking by Valentino from time to time, but my god, I would not want to be caught dead in those clothes.

PS: I think they're stealing from Erdem a bit. That shape of the a-line skirt dress with the long lace sleeves is very Erdem.

front row

^ I couldn't agree more.

30-01-2011
V.I.P.

The details are simply beautiful

style.com/

30-01-2011
Alluring

Having watched the show I can't recall a single outfit, it's just as bland and washed-out as all their collections.

And let's say I can understand they made the ruffles their trademark, but seriously, someone wake me up when the ruffle mania at Valentino is over.

31-01-2011
scenester

I only really liked the red outfits

31-01-2011
no tom ford, no thanks.

those shoes are quite enchanting...

style.com

tFS STAFF

Front page on tFS today, runway reviews from this thread: The Hits and Misses of Haute Couture Spring 2011 (Forum Buzz)

12-02-2011
V.I.P.

its very soft and pretty

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2011, couture, haute, paris, s or s, valentino