How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-10-2011
V.I.P.

style.it

04-10-2011
V.I.P.

style.it

04-10-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabelWhore4 View Post
Auto-pilot is the phrase to use when describing Valentino. Garavani can't honestly approve of this. I just don't understand how he hated Alessandra's designs but cosigns on this dreary bullish!t. It's madness.
I don't understand why he fired her for not looking through the archives for inspiration? I'm trying to remember the last time I saw a Valentino Garavani dress that looked like this cheap crap. We should protest!

fashion icon

This collection has absolutely nothing to do with Alessandra F, and therefore there's no reason to mention her. Every season, it never fails that someone just has to bring her up in the Valentino thread.

Anyway, although there are several pretty dresses, for the most part this collection looks rather old-lady-ish. And I'm tired of seeing the long-sleeved above-the-knee dresses that this design duo seems to have a penchant for. However, the flowery gowns toward the end are, believe it or not, very Valentino. I love the two black strapless gowns. Also, I happen to like this gown a lot. Would love to see it worn to an awards show or to some other public function.

04-10-2011
scenester

love it!

04-10-2011
V.I.P.

I actually quite simply adore this.
Agreed on the fact that the silhouette is same old but this, for me, is the first collection under the duo that is just a complete hit with me.

If I were a woman who adored beautiful, feminine clothes and had a sh.tload of money, I would probably buy the whole lot of it.
And I thought the same about that dress Spiral1532. Perhaps Kirsten Dunst? Hoping on it.

04-10-2011
V.I.P.

I say it again "EWWWWWWWWWWWW"

04-10-2011
.my prison is your brain.

Same ol' same ol' is right. Also, it's like they took the sheerest lightest fabrics ever, and make them look heavy and weighed down this season... horrid.

04-10-2011
fashion insider

I think collection is absolutely gorgeous and this is the first time I've thought that of a Valentino collection since the label was helmed by the master himself. I think it helps that I've now accepted Valentino's new "identity".
I just love the pieces and think that they're very beautiful.

V.I.P.

This is beautiful but beautiful is all this is. Why did they choose to do cocktail dresses for the entire collection? I just don't understand the lack of variation in this collection. Last year they made great strides with their two runway collections in terms or establishing great daywear.

Personally, I'm quickly losing faith in their design ability. Its one thing to design a pretty evening dress, but its another to design clothes that serve the needs of women beyond the soiree.

Last season was much better. This falls flat in both aesthetics and concept. Disappointing.

04-10-2011
V.I.P.

I usually can't react positively to phony, all-dresses collections (Rodarte and Christopher Kane among my most dreaded pioneers of this survival strategy) but at least most of the pieces here are beautifully made.. Italian lace can hardly do wrong in my eyes, the hard work and meticulousness is evident even through a picture, and I love the elegant lines they continually use for their dresses. I think this could look good on any woman but there's definitely a look here that being particularly aimed at younger ones with a certain silhouette that allows them to carry such conservative detailing without looking like a 1979 garden on legs, which is understandable, considering the people that have been projecting this on public events.. I think/hope once they completely secure this market, they'll move on to collections that integrate women not just of all ages, but all occupations too, and speak for the legacy of the house, which is A LOT more comprehensive than this.

Last edited by MulletProof; 04-10-2011 at 03:01 PM.
04-10-2011
fashion icon

quality of course. but it's really borring, to me, too cold

04-10-2011
fashion elite

Valentino | Spring Summer 2012 | Preview

fashion insider

Too minimalistic for Valentino

04-10-2011
don't look down

There's nothing innovative here, but at the same time, I don't expect Valentino to produce anything that stirs the fashion world into a frenzy. For me, this is the sort of improvement that I want to see happen each season, and while the new team might be making slow progress, I appreciate that the company is giving them the chance to learn, rather than giving them the sack after two seasons.

Valentino was a master of the art of deceptively simple elegance, given his decades of experience, nobody could walk into that job and match him. Nor will we see someone truly being allowed to reinvent the label... so this is probably the best we're going to get. And some of it is beautiful, and will probably look great on the right person on the red carpet - that's when I'll appreciate these dresses, more so than seeing them now in this show.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, paris, s or s, valentino