How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-12-2012
V.I.P.

Vera Wang Pre-Fall 2013
Quote:
“Is it high day or low evening?” was the question posed by Vera Wang at her pre-fall appointment. The answer depends on one’s definition of day and evening attire. Neither were casual in this case: The day clothes were decked to the nines in opulent fabrics, such as floral jacquards and guipure, with special details and often accented with long gloves, fur and ample costume jewels affixed to big black grosgrain bows. Wang stated her recommitment to the costume jewelry that was a big part of her look a few seasons ago.

She reworked the classic tuxedo in blouses and cropped pants with beaded stripes and cuffs cut with a neat sporty curve. Jackets came in wrap and cutaway versions with embellished pockets and volume at the hips, while little shift dresses followed a narrow line with harness and draped details in back. Everything was infused with an artful opulence heightened by the moody jewel tones and plenty of black, too.

wwd.com

12-12-2012
V.I.P.

wwd.com

12-12-2012
V.I.P.

Someone's gonna kill me for bringing up another comparison, but there's something a bit Lanvin about this. Nonetheless, I love how dark and chic this is. One of the best pre-fall collections thus far.

V.I.P.

my fave is the use of the Color Plum

windowshopping

I hate the gloves.

12-12-2012
fashion insider

I really like the first look, but imo, it sort of goes downhill from there.

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagerfeldBoy View Post
Someone's gonna kill me for bringing up another comparison, but there's something a bit Lanvin about this. Nonetheless, I love how dark and chic this is. One of the best pre-fall collections thus far.
Vera is much much more restrained than Alber has been lately. If it weren't for so much hype and blind-devotion some have for Alber, they might just see how 80s-gaudy some of those Lanvin designs have become.

Vera is so tightly-edited , careful and self-conscious she'll never verge on gaudiness-- which also means she'll never let loose. So, as tasteful, orderly and luxe as everything appears, it's also quite predictable. I think she's a great editor, taking the best from every designer and making it her signature; The brocades, luxury and plushness and richness of her separates in all these very tasteful, dark earth-tones are very easy to understand. It all reminds me so much of Prada A/W 2004. Kinda like it, and see the instant-vintage appeal of her designs as separates.

12-12-2012
backstage pass

I like this a heck of a lot more than what she's been putting out for the last couple years. She hasn't done an amazing collection since Fall 2008 (at least in my opinion) but this looks nice, at least it's not all black and white like the majority of her collections have been.

trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagerfeldBoy View Post
I thought the same, mainly because of the accesories.
Very predictable indeed, but still beautiful and so wearable. I hate the shoes though, and those nylon socks (or any kind of socks worn with pumps/sandals) needs to GTFO already.

It never gets easier, you just go faster. (LeMond)
13-12-2012
backstage pass

Vera Wang has been doing accessories like this for just as long as Elbaz has been. She did the bib necklace/grosgrain tie thing ages ago. I don't know if I'd call it copying...

V.I.P.

The romantic in me likes brocade, so that aspect of this collection is desirable.

Fashion: Don’t you recognize me? Death: You should know that I don’t see very well and I can’t wear glasses. Fashion: I’m Fashion, your sister. Death: My sister? Fashion: Yes. You and I together keep undoing and changing things down here on earth although you go about it in one way and I another. Giacomo Leopardi, “Dialogue Between Fashion and Death.”abridged
14-12-2012
trendsetter

The collection looks nice. I like some of the jacquard pieces. Though the make-up makes the models look lifeless.

15-12-2012
V.I.P.

the concept is all up my alley. some pieces are bit iffy but overall i'd totally buy this collection for my (imaginary) store.

18-12-2012
V.I.P.

It like most of it, but the leather gloves are overstyled on some of the pieces (like why would you need that on a pretty little dress?). It works well with the outerwear, though. The four brocades on that one piece make them resemble teats, unfortunately.

19-12-2012
chaos reigns

Hum ... I love brocade but somehow this seems a wee bit too much.

Im not sure if Vera was going for all stops luxe here (thats the vibe I feel) but Ill admit, not every woman can pull off these looks.

As the collection progresses I like it better (more commercial). Solid Vera collection. Yey!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2013, prefall, vera, wang