How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

25-02-2012
fashion elite

the final gowns are really awesome.

25-02-2012
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by pen6693 View Post
I didn't see no Gianni reference or tribute.
from style.com:
The couture collection Gianni Versace presented in Paris in July 1997 marked a new direction for the designer, a darker, more stringent, more modern vision whose promise was brutally curtailed a few days after the show when Versace was murdered in Miami. Taking up his legacy, his sister had to live with the sense of optimism tragically truncated. Clearly, there were times when she could cope, times when she couldn't. But it was only with her show today that Donatella felt she could finally, as she put it, face her demons. That meant taking on the unrealized promise of her brother's last collection. A bold move, but everything about Donatella's momentum of late has suggested she's shed her insecurity and embraced her iconic status. She's ready to rock.

Hence, a show that ramped up the gothic elements of Gianni's last collection—the crucifixes, the monochrome severity—with a hard-core energy that tapped Rooney Mara's crazily influential stint as The Girl. It wasn't only the high bang (that's what hairstylist Guido Palau called that fugly fringe) and makeup artist Pat McGrath's sepulchral eye socket. It was also the seamed, studded leather; the long-sleeve, throat-tight coat-dresses; the armorlike corsets; the chain mail clashing with opulent astrakhan—all of it shouting out protection and defiance. In the same spirit, Donatella hit hazmat orange and chrome yellow hard as accents that sparked in the dark.

btw, is it only me who finds the hairstyle similar to Patricia Arquette's hair in David Lynch's movie "Lost highway" from 1997? It might not have been the inspiration but it could be an interesting connection.

source: stylebistro.com, DVD screencaps

25-02-2012
V.I.P.

i like the silhouette a lot, but i could do without the crosses. and that Versace print. altho i think it will be quite a hit in Eastern markets...

25-02-2012
I don't know

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrikingFashion View Post

btw, is it only me who finds the hairstyle similar to Patricia Arquette's hair in David Lynch's movie "Lost highway" from 1997? It might not have been the inspiration but it could be an interesting connection.
That was actually the first thing I thought on when I saw the hair here

It's what gave me the femme fatale vibes

25-02-2012
front row

i didn't like this is collection. I agree that Versace sometimes looks a little poorly sewn.

25-02-2012
fashion insider

This collection it's a BAD COPY of THIS collection:

Thxs to a frind who showed me this beauty, THIS is Versace.

25-02-2012
rising star

^^ Agreed 100%. As for my part I really distaste this FW collection... the goth'/religious [...] though the dresses with Versace prints are really beautiful, some interesting details here and there but I never really got into the whole thing watched videos carefully, the pics... nothing and the bangs : lol, my last word.

rising star

I am disappointed in this collection. It was possible better to play a Gothic theme. Not only crosses and huge Versace letters on dresses. But I loved dresses shapes, but not fabrics and colours. The second collection part also did not impressed me, because it seems to already be seen. Unfortunately, after such a successful Donattela collections to see the latest collection which is for me disappointing.

01-03-2012
trendsetter

I love the whole slightly sixties gothic school girl meets futuristic Metropolis fembot thing going on in this collection. A darker Versace!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
1213, f or w, milan, versace