How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

14-08-2009
backstage pass

Haha how awful that black zip up looks like it's made out of a body bag.

No, why does she think she has talent? She has money, not talent.

15-08-2009
V.I.P.

I think her collection selling so fast shows you she's clearly got a talent at selling dresses, the woman is genius..

15-08-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_ View Post

She may not have a good talent for singing. But she certainly has a talent for fashion.
Her style is impeccable, and her designs for her collection are great.

I know celebrity designers are hard to take in. But Victoria just has what it takes..

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_ View Post

Well that's your opinion, i love the back zip, and think its super sexy, and the material is clearly expensive so you are grasping there with the "body bag" comment!

When has she said that she has extrodinary talent? I guess its just to delicious to hate on Victoria Beckham isnt it? Coz if you knew anything about her, you would know she is the first celeb to admit she has limited talents. However she has approched her collection with drive and determination, all of which has shown and been recognized by the people in the fashion industry, and many women who went out and bought her dresses, her collection didnt sell out in New York and London for nothing so she clearly has good idea of where she wants to take her brand.And she works hard and with passion on it.

Anyway, here is another proof of her success, Mango has a collection inspired by her dresses:

denden.com

15-08-2009
V.I.P.

I'm just glad that Victoria is a strong and focused woman, who does her own thing no matter what the haters say, and how many irrational abuse she recieves.She is someone who always loved fashion, and yes she made epic mistakes, and sometimes still does, but its a result of the fact she aint afraid to try new things, or to be ridiculed for it.That Mango dress is definietly inspired by her Carmontelle dress, thanks for posting that Giovanna.^

Here is her dress in the June US vogue:

scanned by TFS moderator MissMagAddct edited by me.

And here is Debie Mazar in it,

beingbeckham.blogspot.com

15-08-2009
V.I.P.

Some very intelligent and mature comments here!

Pleased for Victoria she's getting great press coverage and support from celebrities and the industry - personally i do think she's got talent, (though we can argue over what and how much) but what impresses me the most is her dedicated approach to designing - she's put time and effort and clearly she's evolving and improving as well.

V.I.P.

Photos of Victoria's Dress Collection in the latest V Magazine.

Source - Daily Mail

19-08-2009
backstage pass

The last dress posted is stunning.

trendsetter

Well i agree with Giovanna4ya

Victoria is fully aware that what she lacks talent wise in the music industry she has more than made up for in the fashion industry. She has found her niche and i think her dresses are great! You can tell by the way she dresses that she has an eye for fashion anyway.

The more i look at them (thanks for posting those pics shuffle) the more i notice that she does have a talent for design even though she probably had alot of help. I like her vision of the brand as it's very sharp, clean and sophisticated (all my fave things)

She definetly knows how to design a dress that will flatter a womans shape thats for sure

19-08-2009
backstage pass

I think the thing is, she's just no one really, she loves dresses, and she's not out there drawing and designing like most designers that go to college, work their backsides off and then one day, maybe, get to sell their stuff in a store. She has bought herself a career. There are so many fantastic inspirational people in this world, why on earth pick Victoria Beckham as an example of a modern icon. Go read a book instead!

19-08-2009
Amour Comme Hiver

I, for one, think that this is her best business endeavor so far. She really did find a niche that hadn't been filled yet; simple, classy, form fitting dresses cut in just the right fashion to flatter almost anyone. At this moment in fashion, almost everyone is turning things down a notch, so she chose an excellent time to debut.

20-08-2009
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindbear View Post
I think the thing is, she's just no one really, she loves dresses, and she's not out there drawing and designing like most designers that go to college, work their backsides off and then one day, maybe, get to sell their stuff in a store. She has bought herself a career. There are so many fantastic inspirational people in this world, why on earth pick Victoria Beckham as an example of a modern icon. Go read a book instead!
Have you ever visited a "Fashion" college before? Most of them are filled with students who learn only to sew and create clothes, but often times create generic looking clothing. What Victoria Beckham has over those students is that she has actually lived fashion, and living out a dream is more than reading it from a textbook or from a failed fashion designer teaching you how the know how of the fashion industry. It's like the difference between a chef who has lived and breathed in France and an ordinary cook who simply reproduces generic recipes from a French cook book and passes himself off as a French Chef.

Ofcourse there are exceptions, but not many.

And it's not like she doesn't try hard, even though she has the money. I couldn't think of another celebrity who gets so much hate for just being herself, even Paris Hilton gets treated better than her.

I know her designs aren't the most innovative in the world, but I'm glad someone like her has enough sense in the world to know that no woman in the world would want to spend thousands of dollars on clothing that are absurdly embellished with rhinestones and overly layered with tulle and fabric to the point of making them unwearable and kitschy. No wonder so many designers these days become bankrupt. Sometimes less is definitely more.

20-08-2009
trendsetter

^ You said it very well Leeroi

Who says that Victoria's designs have to be incredibly innovative all the time?

Sometimes (especially me) you just want to see clean, simple and classy designs without all the wacky or weirdness.

Thats why i Versace!

20-08-2009
V.I.P.

Dannii Minogue also sporting a VB dress.

Source - Daily Mail

20-08-2009
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeroi View Post
Have you ever visited a "Fashion" college before? Most of them are filled with students who learn only to sew and create clothes, but often times create generic looking clothing. What Victoria Beckham has over those students is that she has actually lived fashion, and living out a dream is more than reading it from a textbook or from a failed fashion designer teaching you how the know how of the fashion industry. It's like the difference between a chef who has lived and breathed in France and an ordinary cook who simply reproduces generic recipes from a French cook book and passes himself off as a French Chef.
Must disagree with you on that, I'm not sure how the fashion studies are there, but here they usually don't focus on sewing all that much (of course there is always the creating part that's got to be done and the basics that are taught, but they don't hammer you into perfect sewing). They are more focused on the design and concept part of the clothing and collections. Trying to find new shapes and be innovative and everything but generic. And to say that failed designers are teaching you is a bit cru, teaching for a designer can be a great side-job to get a steady bit of money in when they aren't in the big know yet or just want to be sure they can survive. It doesn't have to do anything with failing.

That said I do agree with you that she has major advantages over those students. She's already in the fashion world as a celebrity giving her experience in general fashion, the most important contacts in the fashion world and she has money. Can't blame her for using her money and fame to start something, we all would if we had the chance!
The thing that she lacks is of course the technical skills and know-how. You don't get that from wearing nice clothes and watching fashion shows. Things like construction and the way things are cut and all are something technical which are crucial to designing. Does she know that? Probably not, she has a nice team for that. Which is why most people hate celeb collections, they pretend their designers, while it's actually the team doing all the designing and work.
Judging from the dresses she puts out I doubt she is like that, I like to believe that she actually works together with the designers in her team on creating the looks and is very involved in the whole process. and relies on their technical and design knowledge to make her ideas work and meanwhile slowly picking up on those skills as well.

And unlike other celeb's she's doing a fine job! (also I loved that commercial with all the hiding models, that was just plain fun!)

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
beckham, denim, dresses, victoria