How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
20-08-2009
  181
V.I.P.
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Gender: femme
Posts: 22,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindbear View Post
I think the thing is, she's just no one really, she loves dresses, and she's not out there drawing and designing like most designers that go to college, work their backsides off and then one day, maybe, get to sell their stuff in a store. She has bought herself a career. There are so many fantastic inspirational people in this world, why on earth pick Victoria Beckham as an example of a modern icon. Go read a book instead!
That is quite a condescending last statement! So because you dont like her no else should? Why? There is no accounting for taste, to me VB is a contemporary style icon, because i like the aesthetic of her style.I am not into Miller with her Boho chic, or Kate Moss with her cool rock chic.etc VB is my style icon of choice because i am similarly highly maintained and willing to experiment, and most of all always ready to wear what i like, no matter what anyone says.So she clearly appeals to us, certain types of women, and there is many, no matter what anyone says.

We are not talking about books, or intellectual stimulation here,no no one ever claimed that, the very least her, lets not pretend, please!

I think its the easiest to just shrug Victoria of as a "no one really" like you did in this comment, however the facts are there.She is a self made woman, who worked hard, despite her limited talents and has become somebody to many of us.No she might not be drawing, but she is involved in every tiny detail of her collection's.She HAS worked her backside off, in a different way than students, but she has.She has shown "blood", love for the industry and extreme dedication, all of which has been recognized, and shows in her line.You do not go in front of Anna Wintour, Franca Sozzani, Suzy Menkes, and every other influential fashion greats to present your collection, explaining each dress to the very last seam, if you are not involved or knowledgeable about your own product.Every review pointed out how impressed they were with her, so if she "bought" herself a career she would have just thrown a big flashy runway show with all the publicity in the world, and call it a day, since we all know she could have afforded that.But she built her brand very slowly, over the years (with actual backers, from her managment, but still!) starting with jeans, sunglasses, fragrances and then finally arriving at womens wear, and not acutally doing ready-to-wear filled with ugly shoes, and bags and other stuff ala Gwen Stefani,J.Lo.etc

Listen, no is claiming she is the next Miuccia Prada, herself says that she is at the bottom of the ladder, and will take alot of work to get up, but there is a market for her look as proven by the success of her line.And if she is not ones cup of tea, then i think its incredibly easy to ignore her, the woman is harmless.

  Reply With Quote
 
20-08-2009
  182
V.I.P.
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Gender: femme
Posts: 22,953
Madonna wearing the Giral dress on her 51st birthday in Italy.






beingbeckham.blogspot.com

Vogue Espana June 2009:


poramor.forums1.net

US Glamour July 2009, a model wearing the carmontelle dress, portraying VB.


victoriabeckham-jenna.blogspot.com

  Reply With Quote
20-08-2009
  183
trendsetter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: VA
Gender: homme
Posts: 1,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianThomas View Post
Must disagree with you on that, I'm not sure how the fashion studies are there, but here they usually don't focus on sewing all that much (of course there is always the creating part that's got to be done and the basics that are taught, but they don't hammer you into perfect sewing). They are more focused on the design and concept part of the clothing and collections. Trying to find new shapes and be innovative and everything but generic. And to say that failed designers are teaching you is a bit cru, teaching for a designer can be a great side-job to get a steady bit of money in when they aren't in the big know yet or just want to be sure they can survive. It doesn't have to do anything with failing.
You're from Netherlands? You should visit New York and LA. Many of the fashion institutes, even Parsons, are filled with rich snobby teenagers who rely on the word "fabulous" and "rhinestone studded" to push their work forward.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianThomas View Post
Which is why most people hate celeb collections, they pretend their designers, while it's actually the team doing all the designing and work.
Judging from the dresses she puts out I doubt she is like that, I like to believe that she actually works together with the designers in her team on creating the looks and is very involved in the whole process. and relies on their technical and design knowledge to make her ideas work and meanwhile slowly picking up on those skills as well.
We can say the same about many designers these days, especially the designers from bigger brands, who really just draw and give the seamstresses all the job in making the garments, and yet they get all the glory.

I agree with you however about her being actually part of the team in making the clothes. The clothes she puts out there are very much her own style and none of them are random in style, unlike many other celebrity designers.

  Reply With Quote
21-08-2009
  184
rising star
 
MakeupYourStyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Illinois
Gender: femme
Posts: 150
Personally I think she is a style icon, while i do detest "celebrity" clothing lines I must say that hers is the only exception. Her line is completely her taste, her designs.... all of the garments that are part of her line are garments that she would wear. I admire the fact that she has created a style that everyone associates her with, an impeccable style at that. Her clothes are fitted, elegant and i appreciate the modesty. I love how chic she is and admire her style...I say bravo to her for creating such beautiful garments

  Reply With Quote
21-08-2009
  185
front row
 
copper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Gender: femme
Posts: 424
the collection is rigid, creatively limited and restrictive...(i am tempted to draw a psychological comparison to her as a person)
i disagree that they are elegant or classic. she has seemingly drawn inspiration from audrey hepburn but she has missed the point. there is no GIVE! i would go as far as to say that they are physically punishing items of clothing that dont look comfortable at all, and dont convey any personality or warmth.

__________________


what have you done today to make you feel proud?
  Reply With Quote
21-08-2009
  186
V.I.P.
 
ponytrot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Rabbit Hole
Gender: femme
Posts: 4,565
Quote:
(i am tempted to draw a psychological comparison to her as a person)
Was that necessary?

It's just clothes, not the presidency. And she's just a person - a person whom neither you nor i know personally.

__________________
World enough and time...

Last edited by ponytrot; 21-08-2009 at 05:26 AM.
  Reply With Quote
21-08-2009
  187
trendsetter
 
VersaceLuva586's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Gender: homme
Posts: 1,333
Wow, there really is quite negative opinions about Victoria and her designs but each to their own i guess...............


As i said before, the only celebrity designers IMO who design great clothes and have successful brands are VB and Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen. Both these celebrity's brands are successful for a reason and it's because of the simplicity and quality of the garments.

I am baffled as to why some people are bashing VB about her great dresses that she seems really passionate about, when we have people like Miley Cyrus and Lauren Conrad who come out with random cheap collections that usually has it's 15 minutes of fame then fizzles out after a couple seasons.

At least i can see some longevity in Victoria's brand


Last edited by VersaceLuva586; 21-08-2009 at 11:15 AM.
  Reply With Quote
21-08-2009
  188
front row
 
DevonDevore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NYC
Gender: homme
Posts: 277
honestly...
i find this all a bit safe and boring...
beckham wears cray high heels, crazy clothes, expensive handbags, and sets hair trends and fashion trends alike...and she designs safe dresses?
i can appreciate that shes building a following and i wont expect her to go all JPG/lacroix/or mcqueen on us but even if its just one dress, just one, with a little flair and interest i would be happy.
i personally think a accessories line is where she should have started....but thats just me...

__________________
INSTAGRAM
  Reply With Quote
21-08-2009
  189
trendsetter
 
VersaceLuva586's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Gender: homme
Posts: 1,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevonDevore View Post
honestly...
i find this all a bit safe and boring...
beckham wears cray high heels, crazy clothes, expensive handbags, and sets hair trends and fashion trends alike...and she designs safe dresses?
i can appreciate that shes building a following and i wont expect her to go all JPG/lacroix/or mcqueen on us but even if its just one dress, just one, with a little flair and interest i would be happy.
i personally think a accessories line is where she should have started....but thats just me...
I understand what you mean about the garments being simple, but thats what works best IMO and her success has proven that. But as the seasons and years go by she will start to become more experimental with colours, fabrics etc.

  Reply With Quote
22-08-2009
  190
trendsetter
 
gb_32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Spain
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,149
i cant believe how much Elle loves her dresses lol.

  Reply With Quote
23-08-2009
  191
windowshopping
 
thesydneygirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sydney
Gender: femme
Posts: 33
i love the second dress. it's got a nice cut and the shoulders are gorgeous.

__________________
www.thesydneygirl.com
  Reply With Quote
23-08-2009
  192
V.I.P.
 
Esperanza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Australia
Gender: femme
Posts: 5,582
i think alot of ppl hate on her cos shes victoria beckham! i like her clothes!!

__________________
Que Sera Sera, What Ever Will Be Will Be
  Reply With Quote
23-08-2009
  193
V.I.P.
 
BerlinRocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: MilkyWay-Pluto-Earth
Gender: homme
Posts: 11,233
^no i think it's just ppl don't see the point of this ...
the world already have enough of what she's doing ...

and if the line works it's because she is Victoria Beckham and because she's got a good PR ...
- though i think it's hard to tell the real thing when it comes to a celeb ...

but perhaps it's good quality ... idk ...

what's the range price, by the way ?

  Reply With Quote
23-08-2009
  194
trendsetter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: VA
Gender: homme
Posts: 1,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerlinRocks View Post
^no i think it's just ppl don't see the point of this ...
the world already have enough of what she's doing ...

and if the line works it's because she is Victoria Beckham and because she's got a good PR ...
- though i think it's hard to tell the real thing when it comes to a celeb ...

but perhaps it's good quality ... idk ...

what's the range price, by the way ?
Besides this clothing line and her fragrance, I can't think of anything else that has her named plastered on it that's strictly of her own production and not a third party.

The range price is pretty much the same of other luxury brands; starting 1500+ euros for night and day dresses. She doesn't do accessories, which I can't really find the reason why she hasn't yet, so the price range is not very big. I guess it's a good thing though to start small with garments to build up the clients you want to target, I don't think we need another luxury brand that has accessories overload.


Last edited by Leeroi; 23-08-2009 at 05:00 PM.
  Reply With Quote
24-08-2009
  195
trendsetter
 
Fashionturnip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London
Gender: homme
Posts: 1,325
I love Madonna in it. She looks amazing! Its really interesting to see people other than victoria wear the pieces because they give it their own twist.

I think her collection is amazing but im always left wanting a bit more (which is perhaps VBs secret)....

__________________
"Looking good and dressing well is a necessity, having a purpose in life is not." Oscar Wilde
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
beckham, denim, dresses, victoria
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:43 AM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. 2014 All rights reserved.