How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-09-2008
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike413 View Post
It's Roland Mouret, even the description sounds like Roland Mouret's aesthetic. Not shocking since she loves his stuff.
exactly what i was thinking...

05-09-2008
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Dalloway View Post
Fantastic, and nothing like i thought her collection would look like, for me she has an exceptional taste and its all subjective anyway, besides she is hardly telling people how to dress.
Couldn't agree more.

05-09-2008
Fashion Designer

I think its looks great. She has great taste indeed, and although the second dress looks too much like RM, well its very Victoria i must say. I think it looks great so far, and not doing a whole media circus about it its business wise, i belive. but if she wants to be taken seriously in the business shell have to step it up. its great clothes but its been seen before.

05-09-2008
tfs star

Quote:
It's Roland Mouret, even the description sounds like Roland Mouret's aesthetic. Not shocking since she loves his stuff.

However, I do love how someone with such questionable taste feels confident enough to tell people how to look.
Victoria and Roland Mouret are both under Simon Fullers wing, so maybe the PR for RM is the same for Victoria's line

scenester

even the poses/facial expressions are ms. posh style. but I was expecting much more casual clothing actually, so I'm kind of surprised by these dresses that I assume required a more accurate thought in the designing, though the second one is quite bland and way too severe in my opinion

V.I.P.

roland mouret anyone? oh sorry, already mentioned
i must say the presentation is neat even though we only have a preview.
agree on the simon fuller comment.
at this point i am quite intrigued to see the pieces in detail: fabric, label, etc.

weet tweet tweet @w_i_p_monaco
05-09-2008
backstage pass

Quote:

However, I do love how someone with such questionable taste feels confident enough to tell people how to look.
Ditto.

08-09-2008
V.I.P.

She got some good reviews for a novice and only a dress collection:

Quote:
September 9, 2008

Victoria Beckham presents her debut fashion collection 4711607Lisa Armstrong, Fashion Editor
There is something surreal about sitting in a suite in the historic Waldorf Hotel, slap in the middle of Park Avenue Princess territory, while a former Spice Girl presents her debut fashion collection. Not just any Spice Girl, but Victoria Beckham, a woman who, only recently, poured herself into a gold leather Roberto Cavalli bustier and matching leggings for the Spice Girls tour.

Yet there we were, a handful of fashion editors (her husband hadn’t yet seen it although he kept texting her for progress reports) and Victoria herself with newly spikey hair, perched on gilded Louis something sofas and sipping sparkling water while three models paraded past our knees. This was so ladylike it made the Windsors look common, so demure it made the scrum in Bryant Park, New York fashion week’s official headquarters, look like a hooligans’ rout at Millwall. Over and again, when describing each outfit (all of which were dresses), the novice fashion designer used the word “classy”.

And guess what? They were.

In fact ­ and I can’t quite believe I’m writing this ­ it was a very impressive, accomplished collection, with not a single dud. True there were only ten designs, in various colours, each adhering to the aesthetic the designer has favoured in her own wardrobe of late: slender calf-length fitted dresses with raised waists. But it was the fabrics (silk, wool and organza) and the attention to detail that impressed.

Light-weight internal corsetry and inner, inner gros-grain waistbands to make extra sure everything stayed in place, a tie neckline that could be flipped back at night (because she’d noticed that’s what David did sometimes with his bow ties “and it’s sexy”), folded tucks at the bustline to give a “classy” 40s look to strapless dresses and guarantee against wardrobe malfunctions, which would be “vulgar”.

One could quibble with her definition of what makes a perfect day dress for the average busy mother ­ apparently anything that could double up as a cocktail dress ­ and her notion that a black corset dress should be a staple in every woman’s life, but these aren¹t for the masses, retailing between £650 ­ £1900 and produced in tiny numbers (there will be no more than 400 of the first collection). There's certainly no arguing with her intimate knowledge of what makes a dress photograph as well from the back as from the front, what makes a corset bearable when worn for fourteen hours on the trot, and what constitutes an investment piece. These were what she called “Sucky sucky” dresses, “designed to hold you in, not challenge your body”. They will go up to a size 14 and she’d love to see Nigella Lawson or Dame Helen Mirren in them.

Reactions from retailers seems positive. “It’s very sophisticated, easy and commercial,” says Harvey Nichols fashion director Averyl Oates. “It will be interesting to see how it evolves”. But what of the designers whose clothes VB has worn over the years and who had clearly influenced her aesthetic, notably Roland Mouret, who is also backed by Simon Fuller, the Beckham’s manager and who is rumoured to have “assisted” with this collection?

“They’ve been very encouraging” says Beckham, insisting that while Mouret gave her some advice and helped her appoint her tiny London based team of four, she designed it on her own, fiddling with toiles at home in LA and emailing endless pictures back to the pattern cutter in London. “I’ve been working on this for 34 years,” she says. “I always wanted to be a fashion designer. Then along came the Spice Girls which opened a lot of doors for me. And, let¹s be honest, closed a lot. But those days are over. I was never going to be the world’s best singer, but I hope I can be a good designer.”

The Times

08-09-2008
V.I.P.

New York Fashion Week: Victoria Beckham launches fashion collection:

Hilary Alexander reports from New York Fashion Week

Victoria Beckham has launched her first fashion collection at New York Fashion Week based entirely upon her own personal style.
Esconced in the Royal Suite of the Waldorf Towers, she talked a select group of fashion press through what she called "my dream of a lifetime."

The collection, of just 10 styles, which will cost between £600 and £1,900, is based entirely upon Mrs Beckham's own style and owes more than a little to one of her favourite designers, Roland Mouret, inventor of the 'Galaxy Dress'.
Made in luxury fabrics such as silk organza, silk crepe, gazar, taffeta, wool stretch and fine cottons, in a subdued colour palette of black, navy, cream, cobalt and flesh-tone, each dress is cut, seamed and contoured to within an inch of its hourglass life and features a long pink-gilt zip snaking straight down the centre-back seam .
Interior corsetry, grosgrain waistbands, shoulder pads and ingenious 'nips and tucks' in the bust, waist and hip area, ensure that, as the fledging designer puts it "every woman who wears these dresses can have great posture and look great from every angle."
The dresses, in sizes 6-14, would be suitable for all ages, she said, singling out Nigella Lawson and Dame Helen Mirren as ideal customers.
Overall, the collection has a surprisingly modest, almost prim attitude with all hemlines ending at least three inches below the knee and some of the bow-neck, blouse-bodices having an almost governess feel.

But, as Mrs Beckham explained, these styles could always look more sexy with the bow undone, "like David (Beckham) undoing his bow-tie at the end of an evening."
The collection is being made in London with a small atelier staff of less than five people.
Only 400 examples of the entire collection will be sold worldwide and will be available from February.
"I know I have a lot to learn, but over the years I think I have worked out how women want to look," she said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/fashion/m...beckham108.xml

08-09-2008
V.I.P.

Quote:
Victoria Beckham impresses on debut
Jess Cartner-Morley in New York
The Guardian, Tuesday September 9 2008

When Victoria Beckham announced that she had designed a range of dresses and would present them at New York fashion week, there was a rasp of Smythson pencils being sharpened, not altogether supportively, in the front row.

But yesterday afternoon, the select band of buyers and editors who viewed the collection changed their tune. "Beautiful", "desirable" and "classy" were among the words bandied about.

Top boutiques and department stores have already begun squabbling over the right to sell the first collection of dresses with "Victoria Beckham" in the label, left, when it hits stores in February.

With only 400 dresses being made in the first season, the range looks destined to be a sellout, even with retail prices starting at £650.

The 10 dresses are all immediately recognisable as signature Victoria Beckham. They are figure-hugging, cut to maximise curves, although with a modest below-the-knee hemline and come in sizes six to 14.

Couture-type fabrics - organza, silk gazar, taffeta - and restrained shades of black, navy, oyster and ivory (with one shot of electric blue) are offset by full-length rose gold zips running from the nape of the neck to the back of the knee.

The high standard of the collection prompted many to question whether Beckham, who has no design training, could take credit for their creation.

The influence of Roland Mouret, whose dresses Beckham often wears, is very visible in the collection, but Beckham said yesterday that she designed the entire collection with no assistance from Mouret or anyone else.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2008/sep/09/celebrity.fashion

08-09-2008
V.I.P.

I am glad she got great reviews! I really like the way the dresses look, i think she has a great taste and a great sense of style.

08-09-2008
backstage pass

Wow, such great positive reviews. I love the dresses, they are simply gorgeous! Thanks hun.

08-09-2008
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
"I know I have a lot to learn, but over the years I think I have worked out how women want to look," she said.
not THIS woman...

08-09-2008
a hymn to darkness

Looks like a watered down version of Roland Mouret's work...
The black dress esp.

barcode

As far as celeb lines go, at least this looks like actual fashion. But it's definitely Roland Mouret and L'wren Scott's bastard child....a good looking one, but a bastard none the less.

Last edited by Spike413; 08-09-2008 at 09:26 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
beckham, denim, dresses, victoria