How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-12-2003
Mannikin

I never said Jacobs was revoloutionary, please!

18-12-2003
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally posted by Lena@Dec 17th, 2003 - 1:22 pm
yes, thats the guy Nicolas G. stole the look from, i mean its not even 'insprired' by, Balenciaga actually riped of the design.. ironically enough, that was the beging of the end for Nicola's hype-ness..

Kaisik Wong=really talented and so very original

thanks for the link and input angelica and excuses for forgetting Wong's name
Yup, "inspired by" is putting it mildly, I suppose. His hand was caught in the cookie jar and Ghesquiere had to admit to it because it was blatant, no?

I can never remember how to spell Wong's first name myself and had to look it up.

I agree, Wong was very talented. He never enjoyed commercial success even if some department stores picked up his line occassionally. By all accounts, his heart was never into creating commercial items and had the soul of an artist. He was much more interested in creating one of a kind pieces for a small clientele.

18-12-2003
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by Angelica@Dec 18th, 2003 - 6:33 pm

Yup, "inspired by" is putting it mildly, I suppose. His hand was caught in the cookie jar and Ghesquiere had to admit to it because it was blatant, no?

I saw an inetrviews with him , and all he said was that he was happy peopel where looking at his "influences"

i adore kaisks stuff, at least this whole situation brought him some renewd attention, shortly after that the famosu vintage store Decades had a huge collection of his work for sale.

Mannikin

In defense of Nicolas G. (It sounds like his a rapper now? ) , he never said that what he did for S/S '02 was his own and original. He said he was influenced by the work of a late Dutch designer Koos van der Ackker. I think even before Kaisik Wong did those Koos did it first. So there's no saying Ghesquiere copied.

19-12-2003
etre soi-meme

Nicola's G reputation was clearly damaged for good when Hintmag first brought up the Wong-Baleciaga scandal (Wong was a minor designer back in the 70s, i bet Nicolas thought he could clearly get away with this and present the idea as his own ) His explanation was something like "it was a hommage blah blah' well, if it was a hommage he should had brought up the work of Wong himself, instead of posing as the designer of the Balenciaga patchwork collection until Hintmag came around...

Ironically enough, the patchwork balenciaga was one of Nicolas biggest hits, if only it was his own idea...

If designers cannot create something new, they can go home or get in a sabbatical mood, or go away on vacations, no need to rip others off
"inspiration"? "homage"? please
I call them cold blooded copy machines, they dont deserve being regarded as creative at all, creativity is the opposite of copying (in my book)

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
great, masterpiece