How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

24-05-2011
Alluring

Just a thought that crossed my mind, do you think will be willing to buy Ferrè designed by Galliano knowing the rather infamous story behind him leaving Christian Dior? I guess there would be quite a lot of prejudices, still.

24-05-2011
Wanderlust

I feel the 90s all over again. I'm not complaining.

24-05-2011
fashion insider

^^I don't think it should be too much of a problem if he stays relatively low key as the designer for Ferre (in other words, not as famous as someone like Karl). The majority of customers rarely connect labels with the people behind them. You'd be surprised by the percentage of people who actually knew (before the news coverage) that Galliano designed for Dior.

I think most Ferre customers will stay around if they like the clothing he makes, in spite of his reputation. I'd say that Nike customers are more aware of the whole sweatshop thing than Ferre customers are of John Galliano's scandal (or maybe even who he is).

Anyway, I hope this is true and I hope that this works out for him, because he really has a lot of talent and I can see him both suiting and revitalising the brand.

V.I.P.

exciting news!!

25-05-2011
backstage pass

is this really at all feasible? Galliano has a massive court case coming up, which really could see him facing time behind bars. Besides this really doesn't fit. This is most likely hearsay thought up by a gaggle of excited, albeit out of touch, group of second tier fashion journalists.

25-05-2011
V.I.P.

That would be perfect! I think people would still buy his clothes. So many industry leaders have been on his side so if the clothes are good they will sell

28-05-2011
V.I.P.

Ok I am looking forward to this. Working his magic!

28-05-2011
trendsetter

This season he wont show any catwalk isnt it?
I will miss him...
I think a lot of people and young people waits PAris Fashion Week to see his work
now, what will we do?

Some Like It Hot

^I personally never saw interest in him and i personally look to Riccardo and Haider and many more alike to them who use creativity in their work and the sheer talent they possess, Galliano lost it along time ago, in my opinion it was long over due, thats all that can be said on the matter IMHO.

V.I.P.

^ indeed it was getting repetitive season after season with Dior and the Galliano label.

But, who knows, maybe that spark will re-ignite.

29-05-2011
trendsetter

^ The shows in the last few seasons seem repetitive because Pat Mcgrath the makeup artist used the same makeup concepts repeatedly for the last 4 to 5 years. You know what I'm talking about the overly arched eyebrows and clown like makeup with tiny bow lips. I think he trusted people who are suppose to be experts in taking charge of these things and they did the same thing repeatedly for seasons onto years.

29-05-2011
Wanderlust

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel222 View Post
^ The shows in the last few seasons seem repetitive because Pat Mcgrath the makeup artist used the same makeup concepts repeatedly for the last 4 to 5 years. You know what I'm talking about the overly arched eyebrows and clown like makeup with tiny bow lips. I think he trusted people who are suppose to be experts in taking charge of these things and they did the same thing repeatedly for seasons onto years.
Actually, I believe that Galliano collaborated with Tyen on the makeup ideas and Pat McGrath executed them ^^

29-05-2011
trendsetter

^ Thanks then Tyen needs to take the part of the blame.

30-05-2011
Alluring

But it was all happening because they were pressed to do it, I believe. It's not like one day Tyen woke up and said: We need to tone the make-up down, or Galliano decided to start rehashing the New Look to death. Given the LVMH CEO has been rather obsessive with the image of Christian Dior for the last few seasons in particular, I don't think it's the designer or the make-up artist who we should blame it all on.

As someone pointed out once, you don't stop being genius in one night. You may however be forced to fit into a very limited image.

30-05-2011
Looking Up

^ Exactly. And I think the makeup showed signs of this limitation first before anything else. The famous Galliano excessive makeup and facial art became so fake and artificial that you could tell Galliano was practically being dictated what to do.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
career, galliano, john