How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

24-06-2011
V.I.P.

That is such good news! I can definitely see them working something out with him now that the dust is settling and it is obvious his illness was the real problem...The industry can be very forgiving, especially with someone who is well loved as John is...

24-06-2011
Looking Up

Oh this is really good! The Galliano brand was really the only thing I was worried about. Dior can hire someone commercial and boring. As long as we have Galliano

24-06-2011
V.I.P.

i would love to see him working for his own label again, i hope this is true

24-06-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Does John Galliano Deserve A Second Chance?

Admit it: you’ve been thinking for a while now about whether John Galliano should ever be allowed to look at a fashion show again, much less design another collection. But word has it the people who used to sign his check are thinking about hiring him back again.

The New York Times‘ inimitable fashion critic Cathy Horyn is making the rounds at the men’s shows in Paris, where she’s bumped into various executives of LVMH, the company that owns Galliano’s eponymous label. Her conversations with them reveal that more than a few people at the company would like Galliano to come back and design, once his trial is over and his debt to society repaid:

"One individual said there had been casual discussions among LVMH executives about the feasibility of Mr. Galliano returning to his own label. Would the media and the public accept his return? This individual said he thought so. Another executive with whom I spoke had the same view. He cited the appeal of Mr. Galliano’s ultrafeminine fashion and added that in recent years the designer had lost touch with that sensibility (and indeed reality). “It became a kind of Lady Gaga show, and he’s more talented than this,” the executive said."

For her part, Horyn said she thought he deserved a second chance, too. And while we’re glad to know that people are willing to forgive Galliano for his mistakes (and hopefully learn from them), they wouldn’t be doing the man any favors by hiring him back. For hours in the Paris courtroom where his public insult trial was held, the man blamed his addictions (which caused the racist outburst that got him fired) on stress at work. Isn’t going back to what is essentially the same work, on a smaller scale, the last thing you’d want to do if that work was indeed that destructive?

We tend to think so. Even if Galliano scales back to designing eight collections a year (as opposed to 16), the work of creating commercially viable clothing that is new and interesting is still going to be strenuous. And if we’ve learned anything from this whole ordeal, it’s that John Galliano does not handle stress very well at all.
styleite.com

24-06-2011
tfs star

Such great news!!!,

Imagine John only having to work for his own brand, not having to deal with the stress of Dior, maybe even creating an own couture line!!!!!!!!!!!!, aww, I got carried away but I think he deserves a second chance.

Madeleine Vionnet.
24-06-2011
V.I.P.

^omg, his own couture line!!! that would be sooooo amazing, just imagine!!!!

24-06-2011
trendsetter

Well it sorta makes me sad because I'm assuming their is this internal strife that John feels that he can be fired or rehired for his own name brand. There seems no way legally to reclaim his name for his own brand, except work again for LVMH which bad blood can boil over again.

There was talk he would be designing for Gianfranco Ferre which would give him a clean slate. Other wise he'd have to deal with Dior's executives again and that I don't know how he can get over it psychologically.

24-06-2011
rising star

In a way I hope that this is true. I never was mad about Galliano for Dior. All I have ever collected is Galliano's own label, it was his purest expression of creativity. If this is true though I dearly hope the extra, cheap lines are dumped. Unlikely, they were attempts to keep the label afloat but they, the extra work they entailed, made me sad and I think cheapened the concept of Galliano. Still, I guess if he wouldn't be slaving his arse off at Dior, then maybe he'll have space for creativity again.

Course, all this is jumping the gun.

V.I.P.

Quote:
LVMH Chief Says Galliano Will Not Return

Bernard Arnault, the chairman of LVMH Moët Hennessy Louis Vuitton, said Saturday that John Galliano would not be working again for any of the luxury group’s brands, including the Galliano label. Mr. Arnault disputed comments made Friday that there had been informal conversations among LVMH executives about the feasibility of Mr. Galliano’s returning to his label at some point and what the media and public reaction might be.

“He will not be working for LVMH,” Mr. Arnault said after the Dior Homme show in Paris. Mr. Arnault added that after Mr. Galliano’s arrest and dismissal from Dior for anti-Semitic statements, “he didn’t have the simple politeness to contact me.”

Meanwhile, the Galliano company announced that Bill Gaytten, a longtime member of its design team, would become creative director of Galliano. Mr. Gaytten, who is also part of the Dior studio, oversaw the spring men’s collection, presented on Friday night, and took the bow on the runway.

On Thursday, Mr. Galliano told a Paris court that he had addictions to alcohol and prescription drugs and that he could not remember making racial insults this past February to a couple in a Paris cafe.

Sidney Toledano, the chief executive of Dior, attended the men’s show with Mr. Arnault. When asked if he had been concerned in recent years that Mr. Galliano’s dependency, along with absences from work, might pose a problem for the company, Mr. Toledano replied: “There were concerns, and we warned him officially. I’ve talked to the lawyers for years.”

Mr. Galliano’s collections in the last few years have received mixed reviews. Certainly among journalists there was a sense that his involvement with a collection — ready-to-wear or couture — could be limited. He was well surrounded by design assistants. It also may be that he had periods when he was sufficiently productive and in control, or was able to convince Mr. Toledano and Mr. Arnault that he was, so that things continued as they were. He was present for his theatrical runway bows and the greetings and interviews backstage.

Clearly, if Mr. Galliano wants to rehabilitate his career, he will have to do it someplace else.
nytimes

25-06-2011
clever ain't wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnault
“He will not be working for LVMH,” Mr. Arnault said after the Dior Homme show in Paris. Mr. Arnault added that after Mr. Galliano’s arrest and dismissal from Dior for anti-Semitic statements, “he didn’t have the simple politeness to contact me.”
Things only the most powerful man in fashion can say. Really, I'm at a loss for words.

This doesn't surprise me at all. Whatever they think they're going to do with the brand Galliano I don't know....spend money on ridiculing it or something...?

25-06-2011
V.I.P.

^ It will be renamed "Arnault" and rolled out in 18,000 stores!!
Seriously- someone, maybe silently, will back him for a new venture in the next year or so- just wait...

25-06-2011
front row

If John doesn't return to his own line, the brand will sink, I mean, just look at the men's show, it was a disaster, and I think many of us including myself won't buy it anymore. Besides he's way too talented and I think he would found a new fashion house, so I think Mr.Arnault may have to think twice and reconsider hiring him again.

25-06-2011
rising star

Quote:
Yes and Arnault didn't have the decency to meet with Galliano and go through a formal dismissal after the court case met to declare its findings. It works both ways sweetheart.

I loathe this. The whole thing, the way it has been played out, by Galliano, by the heads of Dior, LVMH and the media. I agree, I shan't be buying into any of the Galliano label now either. It's a mess, the men's collection was a mess, I hope it goes down the swanny. I do hope Galliano gets his head together, I do hope he goes on to design well again, it's that I will buy into.

Pfffft to the whole thing.

V.I.P.

^ Good point- lots of people wouldn't buy a Galliano line now if he was designing it; without his talent, I certainly wouldn't bet on the long term success...
BTW, Mr Arnault, I understand Lindsay Lohan is available- she has already wrecked one fashion house, but lots of media attention- just saying...

08-07-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Galliano For Topshop?

IS John Galliano set to create a collection for Topshop? Rumours have emerged this week that Arcadia boss Sir Philip Green could be set to give the designer a return to fashion with a collection to follow his friend Kate Moss' collaboration with the high street store.

Perhaps it was when the three fashion powerhouses converged last week at Moss' Cotswolds wedding that the plan was conceived, but discussions - which are said to be in the earliest stages - look set to take place soon.

If Green secures Galliano's signature the deal would be the biggest fashion collaboration ever, overshadowing H&M's famously successful link-ups with Lanvin, Lagerfeld and McCartney - and even Topshop's partnerships with Christopher Kane and Moss herself. The move would be a fashion resurrection for Galliano, currently awaiting judgement for charges of public insult in Paris, especially as his return would be under the wing of Green, one of the country's most influential Jewish businessmen.
vogue.co.uk

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
career, galliano, john