How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

29-12-2011
trendsetter

What they did is so stupid and dumb.
they have erased everything about Galliano from the house.

The fashion videos are without the Galliano finale...

But sincerelly it is not necessary: the exquisite work of Galliano
talks for himself.

I can see the new Dior products without Galliano direction
and they are whatever expect magic and exquisite. Sad for Dior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j´adore dior View Post
As much as I would love that exhibition to happen, I don´t think LVMH would lend Givenchy and Dior clothes for it, they already did an expo in Russia and launched a book filled with John´s work for the house giving him practicaly no credit for it.

29-12-2011
backstage pass

Of course Galliano will make a comeback.

If he wants to. Now is not the time. Since the mid 00s, his collections, both for Dior and his own label, have been like poor caricatures of his former design brilliance. He had lost touch with what made his designs so visionary and supreme; that they looked equally beautiful on a 70-year-old Grande Dame as they would on a 17-year-old gamine. He lost his edge and cool. He lost his muse.

I would love to see Galliano return in a more quieter, discreet and exclusive form. He has backers-- he doesn't need LVMH. He doesn't need an exhibit at the Met. He doesn't need a multi-million dollar show for his collection.

He needs to return to his roots. He needs to remember the humility and the passion that was once in his designs, before he became some gross caricature himself of a fashion designer-- a Sigfried and Roy-looking wannabe who's designs were more Vegas showpieces and tacky status fashion for labelwhores.

I miss the Galliano of A/W 92 who could only afford to show a dozen pieces at his friend's house, and all the top models did his show for free because he couldn't afford to pay them. But that collection remains one of his best. And I have a feeling that these unfortunate recent turn of events will prompt him to return to his former brilliance.

Looking forward!

29-12-2011
scenester

Even if Dior hired Galliano back, they would still lose business. It's a lose-lose situation for Dior no matter what. Without Galliano's talent and incredible designs, they just go back to another brand. With Galliano as designer, Dior will forever be shamed ***Edited***8 or whatever the media spews out. I think they should hire some random guy as creative director but Galliano is actually doing all the work (and no one knows). :-)

Last edited by BetteT; 02-01-2012 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Removing political talk.
29-12-2011
V.I.P.

Except for the people who won't be satisfied until Galliano is skinned alive, everyone else has either forgotten or forgiven (or both) by now. Dior under Galliano *edited* - it's simply a matter of giving a second chance to a man who made a mistake, paid dearly for it, and has since reformed.

Last edited by BetteT; 02-01-2012 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Removing plitical talk.
29-12-2011
V.I.P.

^ Agree...where have all of these politically correct folks been with Hugo Boss and Mercedes Benz all these years- two revered companies who really did have something to hide...seems like that all was conveniently forgotten. but John is given no slack- even though it was illness related...

29-12-2011
trendsetter

I think Galliano was under very specific influences (a hell lot of pressure and alcohol) and I think a lot of people acknowledged it. Surely he made mistakes one should simply have a second chance if he's willing to change, which Galliano obviously is.

I just hope he'll burst out in the most amazing and spectacular way possible so the heads at LVMH can bury their heads in their uptight butts.

Last edited by BetteT; 02-01-2012 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Removing political talk.
30-12-2011
backstage pass

*edited*
Even if he was on a verge of a mental breakdown, what he said to make him lose his job was said because he was drunk and angry. He can't blame anything but his own stupidity. I don't think for a second he seriously meant what he said since the Nazis would have executed him along with the Jews since he's a gay man, but his stupid outburst needs to be reprimanded. Anyway, no need to go into that since everyone and their dog on this forum has already stated their position about that.

There's no reason for him to return to Dior. He was a undeniable force in fashion before the Dior hookup, and he will make his way back without their support. Unfortunately, he may very well have to design under another or new label when he returns. And I'm sure he will return in time.

Last edited by BetteT; 02-01-2012 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Removing political talk.
31-12-2011
backstage pass

Edited*
Anyway he's paid the price and I do hope he comes back, which I'm sure he will.

Last edited by BetteT; 02-01-2012 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Removing political and off topic talk.
31-12-2011
V.I.P.

his 'crime' was to offend some people out drunk in a bar when he was obviously not himself and suffering from a serious illness....His life has been ruined and heaven knows what personal price he has paid- I think enough is enough; if LVMH doesn't want him around his huge talent should be very useful elsewhere...

Last edited by BetteT; 02-01-2012 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Removing political talk.
01-01-2012
clever ain't wise

I think it's true, that *******s flock to fields where money and power are to be had. But these people usually have good control of themselves and usually don't get out of control like Galliano did.

Last edited by BetteT; 02-01-2012 at 02:24 PM. Reason: Removing quote of deleted post.
01-01-2012
backstage pass

I have a feeling that John will sit at a corner and become dusty like the fate of Christian Lacroix or Tom ford...

01-01-2012
backstage pass

What's driving me mad is the removal of Galliano from ever aspect of Dior media. Every video he was in, i.e. "A Tribute to Creation", he has been photo-shopped out of. Even the ending of the shows on their site (the ones he is responsible for) Not a single mention of him in the Rizzoli/Demarchelier "Dior Couture" book---nothing. Trying to erase him simply will not work. It's like a petty argument between high schoolers who delete their friends when the get into arguments. So immature.

01-01-2012
V.I.P.

^ they're doing more damage to him than he's ever done to anyone else. it's hardly a fair price for him to pay. which is why I can't stand the people who are saying people are dismissing what he did. no we did not, but we can see when the punishment far exceeds the crime.

01-01-2012
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
I have a feeling that John will sit at a corner and become dusty like the fate of Christian Lacroix or Tom ford...
But Christian Lacroix is working on a number of very cool projects. He's done dance costumes, is designing furniture, textiles, carpets ... coins, too, right? He's working in all these different media, hardly dusty ... and I don't think that would be a fair term for Tom either.

Claude Montana is the name that comes to my mind ...

02-01-2012
clever ain't wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
My understanding is that the way Coco handled herself during the war was never really forgotten.

Ever heard of the French Resistance? It most certainly was not what everybody did at the time. It was what people who were filled with hatred and negativity did at the time.

I have been under a hell of a lot of pressure myself before and have done some unusual things, but none of them involved spewing hate.
It's just a fact that people who can be obsessed by an idea, passionate people, are also more inclined to loose control. That does NOT make them bad people per definition.

And this is not excusing what he said. He was just horrible and hopefully, his stint in rehab will do him save him from deteriorating like that again.

But you just have to understand that it's the people who always say the right thing and who seem emotionally flat that you should really worry about. And if we throw out everyone who says the wrong thing from fashion, from art, we wont have people left who can do anything more than be emotionally lacking and "perfect".

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
career, galliano, john