How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
15-04-2011
  16
fashion elite
 
modela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Gender: femme
Posts: 2,660
I think they should just give John Galliano his namesake company back and move on.

  Reply With Quote
 
15-04-2011
  17
V.I.P.
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Gender: femme
Posts: 22,783
Oh my...when it rains, it pours! I do think what he said, on several occasions is despicable! But at least he has shown remorse, and trying to get his life in order, so this is not nice to hear. He is a talented designer, why not sell his name back to him then?!

  Reply With Quote
15-04-2011
  18
Looking Up
 
Squizree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: New Zealand
Gender: homme
Posts: 18,545
I cant believe how ridiculous this is getting. So blown out of proportion

  Reply With Quote
15-04-2011
  19
no tom ford, no thanks.
 
mikeijames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: closer than you think.
Gender: homme
Posts: 5,900
while i agree with the action taken here to get these two companies back on some sort of sure footing (words should have consequences), i don't know what customer base exists that would at one moment have enough awareness of fashion to want john galliano merchandise but would enjoy wearing it or buying it without the design genius of the designer himself.

__________________
everything is never quite enough.
  Reply With Quote
15-04-2011
  20
Geometric Discharge
 
Crying Diamonds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: London
Gender: homme
Posts: 7,197
I believe Galliano deserved the removal from Dior, but I think firing him from his namesake line was a bad move. Imagine the comeback collection that could have been!

  Reply With Quote
15-04-2011
  21
tfs star
 
Zann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Texas
Gender: homme
Posts: 1,908
inevitable. however i wonder what he is going to do next.

__________________
Doutzen
Vlada Tanya D. Natasha Inguna Caroline T. Eugenia Angela Garret Clément
  Reply With Quote
15-04-2011
  22
tfs star
 
mrsjamesdean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Sydney
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,620
Very sad however John is too good to just disappear, he WILL come back sooner or later... I hope.

  Reply With Quote
15-04-2011
  23
barcode
 
Spike413's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: New York
Gender: homme
Posts: 14,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
I don't support his racism at all, but nice way of kicking someone when he's down. Can't help but feel sorry for Galliano. I hope he will return to fashion somehow and get rid of whatever (mental or what it is) problem that is bothering him.
This was exactly the same thought that popped into my head as soon as I read the headline.

I mean I look at the situation and frankly I think the man's been punished enough. He was fired from an extremely prestigious, extremely lucrative job, has had his name tarnished (likely permanently), and is still facing the legal consequences, all the while dealing with substance abuse and the emotional turmoil that comes with trying to recover from it. This move really does seem almost cruel. I know there are people out there who don't think Galliano deserves sympathy, but I really do feel awful for him. I have no doubt that he's in far more pain than anybody, Jewish or otherwise, has felt as a result of his words, hateful as they were. Frankly this doesn't seem fair to me.

__________________
You need to move fashion forward when there's a reason to move fashion forward - Tom Ford

  Reply With Quote
15-04-2011
  24
Stitch:the Hand
 
Scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Among the trees
Gender: homme
Posts: 12,941
i'm sorry but i have no tolerance nor sympathy for what he's getting. he deserves everything coming his way. to say and do what he did,potentially speaks to a certain clientele and that reflects badly on his business and dior. above all,he said some pretty horrendous and grotesque things that should never,ever be uttered,especially by somebody in his position. good riddance i say. one less racist is fine by me. and you can say what you want but a lot of times,alcohol helps you say what you really feel.

and btw,if he really thought he would protected by his namesake,perhaps he shouldn't have sold shares. otherwise,he has no control over his position.

  Reply With Quote
15-04-2011
  25
V.I.P.
 
m.j.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Crazyland
Gender: femme
Posts: 10,141
noooooooooooooooo...this cannot be happening..... im in tears...
hes fashion genius, he was fired from dior, do you want to kill him????????
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

  Reply With Quote
15-04-2011
  26
backstage pass
 
Whats Ur Name's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Gods green earth
Gender: femme
Posts: 524
I hope he doesn't go and do something stupid

__________________
"My Fetish Is Saving Lives"
  Reply With Quote
15-04-2011
  27
clever ain't wise
 
iluvjeisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Gender: femme
Posts: 13,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
i'm sorry but i have no tolerance nor sympathy for what he's getting. he deserves everything coming his way. to say and do what he did,potentially speaks to a certain clientele and that reflects badly on his business and dior. above all,he said some pretty horrendous and grotesque things that should never,ever be uttered,especially by somebody in his position. good riddance i say. one less racist is fine by me. and you can say what you want but a lot of times,alcohol helps you say what you really feel.

and btw,if he really thought he would protected by his namesake,perhaps he shouldn't have sold shares. otherwise,he has no control over his position.
You can not possibly think that you know how alcohol affects a person. It is notorious for having very different effects with different people. You may feel that you speak the truth when you are drunk because it makes you feel less inhibited. Others may go more heavily into role playing or any number of states of mind.

If Galliano gets the appropriate help he should be forgiven. I can't think of a good reason why not.

  Reply With Quote
15-04-2011
  28
tfs star
 
Zann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Texas
Gender: homme
Posts: 1,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvjeisa View Post
You can not possibly think that you know how alcohol affects a person. It is notorious for having very different effects with different people. You may feel that you speak the truth when you are drunk because it makes you feel less inhibited. Others may go more heavily into role playing or any number of states of mind.

If Galliano gets the appropriate help he should be forgiven. I can't think of a good reason why not.
by who? When it comes to forgiveness, no one is the same. Yes people can forgive and forget but in reality it's rare. Some people have been truly offended by him and others have brushed it off their shoulder. Just because he goes to some rehab for a month doesn't mean he is a saint now and everyone should act like it never happend.

from a company stand point, him being fired from Dior and his own label was the right thing to do. Obviously not everyone agrees with it but at the end of the day he represents a giant company.

__________________
Doutzen
Vlada Tanya D. Natasha Inguna Caroline T. Eugenia Angela Garret Clément
  Reply With Quote
15-04-2011
  29
V.I.P.
 
lucy92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Gender: femme
Posts: 12,183
if he was smart he would have secured the rights to his name years ago when the company was set up.

but he probably took an upfront fee instead. it was his decision. .

__________________
Large Avatars for Everyone!
  Reply With Quote
15-04-2011
  30
barcode
 
Spike413's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: New York
Gender: homme
Posts: 14,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zann View Post
by who? When it comes to forgiveness, no one is the same. Yes people can forgive and forget but in reality it's rare. Some people have been truly offended by him and others have brushed it off their shoulder. Just because he goes to some rehab for a month doesn't mean he is a saint now and everyone should act like it never happend.

from a company stand point, him being fired from Dior and his own label was the right thing to do. Obviously not everyone agrees with it but at the end of the day he represents a giant company.
Dior is the giant company in question. His own label is hardly a global conglomerate with a corporate image to protect. At the end of the day the house that bears his name is still going to bear his name, he just won't be there, but if his name is still on the label will firing him have made any difference if his name itself is synonymous with this controversy?

Besides, you don't think it slightly unfair that because of one or two transgressions a man's entire life work (meaning his label, not Dior) should not only be taken away from him, but should be chopped up and sold for parts as well? If LVMH wanted no association with him that's one thing, but to throw away the house that he built and struggled to keep? That punishment seems a bit disproportionate to his crime, to me at least.

__________________
You need to move fashion forward when there's a reason to move fashion forward - Tom Ford


Last edited by Spike413; 15-04-2011 at 02:04 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
career, galliano, john
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:21 PM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. ©2014 All rights reserved.