How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

05-02-2013
V.I.P.

Wow I always thought celebrity-level designers like Galliano/Karl/etc made $, but not to the tune of over 5M!

05-02-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littleathquakes View Post
Wow I always thought celebrity-level designers like Galliano/Karl/etc made $, but not to the tune of over 5M!
Karl probably makes over 5m for Chanel. One of the reasons Marc Jacobs didn't get the Dior gig was because him and his business partner were demanding $10m each. (And this guy doesn't even pay his own models:

jezebel.com/353894/fit-modeling-sort-of-like-the-100+an+hour-model-equivalent-of-sweatshop-labor )

05-02-2013
trendsetter

First of all, I love that he got money for appearing on runways. And then that he got a grooming allowance and that he got more salary for his namessake-label than for Dior.

12-02-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
That’s Professor Galliano to You?

Though Oscar de la Renta told New York he "would love" Galliano to stay after Fashion Week, the ex-Dior designer supposedly hopes to share his wisdom with our impressionable youth. A source told the Post: "He would like to do some teaching at a fashion school, more one on one with students rather than lecturing to a large group. He hopes to finalize a deal with a school soon. It may not even be in the U.S." It may be in London!
http://nymag.com/thecut/2013/02/that...no-to-you.html

12-02-2013
fashion insider

Whatever they do, don't let him teach history or religion :p

12-02-2013
Wanderlust

Oh, that's a smart idea.

12-02-2013
backstage pass

i'd be amazing to meet him and then even be TAUGHT by him?? only in a dream!

12-02-2013
V.I.P.

Just saw the ODLR collection and I could definitely see Gallianos touch on some of the outfits/makeup, it was very different from what Oscar usually does, but lovely nonetheless.

12-02-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaars View Post
Just saw the ODLR collection and I could definitely see Gallianos touch on some of the outfits/makeup, it was very different from what Oscar usually does, but lovely nonetheless.
Same here. Catherine McNeil's look screamed Galliano.

12-02-2013
V.I.P.

I think that's why OLDR finally broke and said it was Anna Wintour's request that he worked with John. Cause no sane designer would allow such a contrast in vision. You really could tell the Galliano pieces, or at least the ones originally ODLR and then retouched by John, from the ones that weren't - at the expense of ODLR.

22-04-2013
fashion elite

John Galliano to Teach at Parsons
Quote:
Parsons has announced it will be offering a new master class taught by John Galliano, confirming earlier Fashionista reports.

According to Lucky, seniors in Parsons’s BFA fashion program received an email this weekend about a new course titled “Show Me Emotion.” The course description reads: “‘SHOW ME EMOTION!’ seeks to engage its participants by provoking the power of emotion in context of fashion practice and exploration of intuitive, perceptive manners of investigational making.” The three-day workshop will be taught by Galliano and the final critique will reportedly be given by Galliano and Parsons Dean Simon Collins.

Earlier this month, Collins told us that he “loves John Galliano” and intimated he’d be welcome to teach there. We also heard from a reliable source that Galliano was headed to teach at Parsons. At the time, Parsons refused to comment.

This marks Galliano’s second major gig in the fashion industry following his antisemitic tirade and subsequent ousting as the creative director at Dior. At Anna Wintour’s behest, and after putting in time with the Anti-Defamation League, Galliano was an “artist in residence” of sorts at Oscar de la Renta’s studio for the three weeks preceding de la Renta’s fall show. His influence could be seen in the styling of de la Renta’s show and was met with critical acclaim. But Galliano’s presence in New York elicited a backlash after he was captured on the cover of the New York Post, just a day after de la Renta’s show, in what looked like Hasidic garb.

How New Yorkers will react to Galliano’s new Parsons gig remains to be seen. Early reaction to the news on Twitter seem positive. Crystal Gibson (‏@CrystalGibson) tweeted, “Whatever John Galliano is teaching at Parsons, enrol [sic] me.” Brenda Knight (‏@BrendaKnightt) wrote “I wish I could go back to school again!!!” Others have been more reluctant to embrace the news. Emily (‏@Emmahcodee) wrote “It’s confirmed that Galliano’s teaching at Parsons. Courses will include Anti-Semitism 101 & Intro to doing coke lines off a dress form.” Another user, Veronica Amarante ‏(@RefinedPursuit) wrote “Those who can’t do, teach.”

We’ve reached out to reps for Parsons and Galliano and will update when we hear back.

UPDATE: Dis has published the full letter Parsons sent out to students regarding the course.

Regarding Galliano it says:

A master of tailoring, construction, research, and thematic investigation, John Galliano is an unparalleled living legend capable of blending and blurring the traditional boundaries of practice. A technical genius, after more than twenty-five years of practice, what inspires him most today is not a destination of a geographical sense but the divergent journeys of the soul,mind, and reflection. Feeling, thinking, perceiving, and responding shape his current creative identity and he allows emotion to determine the depth of a collar, the volume between body and sleeve.

It goes on to say that student will “be encouraged to engage with Galliano in all aspects of the creative process including the intense pressure of sustainable a role at the very top of the design world.”

fashionista.com

22-04-2013
front row

That sounds super excited. But I'm just going to take a gander and say that that's for the BEST of the BFA senior (not all of them) and that people will be out for blood to get into that course. And it doesn't mention if it's an annual thing or a thing specifically for 2013 (which is was I'm going to assume.) I'd imagine that John would want to start focusing on rebuilding his place in fashion rather than teach at Parsons.

By the way, does anyone have any updates on John suing Dior? Has that been settled?

22-04-2013
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepetitcouturier View Post
By the way, does anyone have any updates on John suing Dior? Has that been settled?
WWD reports that the case will go to the Court of Appeal in Paris on October 24, after Dior objected to the initial hearing at the Conseil de prud'hommes (the French equivalent of an employment tribunal which deals with breaches of contract between employers and employees) on the grounds that he was never staff. fashion.telegraph.co.uk

22-04-2013
V.I.P.

Wow imagine being one of the students lucky enough to have JG as a professor. *jealous*

22-04-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymphaea View Post
WWD reports that the case will go to the Court of Appeal in Paris on October 24, after Dior objected to the initial hearing at the Conseil de prud'hommes (the French equivalent of an employment tribunal which deals with breaches of contract between employers and employees) on the grounds that he was never staff. fashion.telegraph.co.uk
Okay, thanks

It doesn't make much sense to me.
They had a contract.
They breached the contract. Not to mention they were writing paychecks to Galliano, so technically he is a member of the staff. Yet another money grubbing corporation doing anything they can not to have to pay some pocket money to someone when they f*cked up.

Oh, and another thing about him teaching at Parsons:

If he ends up a guest judge on Project Runway,

I will end Heidi Klum's reign of terror.

Last edited by lepetitcouturier; 22-04-2013 at 06:47 AM.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
career, galliano, john