How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

22-04-2013
fashion elite

This will be a great start to him returning to fashion.

Art/Fashion schools are already super competitive, but competition to get in this class will be cut-throat.

22-04-2013
V.I.P.

Good news, a win-win I would say...Let's hope all of the judgmental people who choose not to understand the problems he has successfully been addressing will finally stand down and let the man do his work...

28-04-2013
fashion insider

Tim Gunn, Tracy Reese, and Narciso Rodriguez Defend John Galliano's Parsons Stint
Quote:
Hot on the heels of announcing that John Galliano would be teaching a master class, Parsons The New School for Design presented "b the next," an event hosted by Kay Unger and Bloomingdale's to benefit its Pre-College Scholars Program, which offers free art and design classes for NYC public high school students.

On hand to toast the next generation were many of Parsons's designer alumni including Narciso Rodriguez, Tracy Reese, Lela Rose, Carmen Marc Valvo, Alejandro Ingelmo, and Mara Hoffman. Fashion disciple and former Parsons chair of fashion design, Tim Gunn, was also on site to support the cause by signing copies of his latest book, Tim Gunn’s Fashion Bible.

Naturally, Galliano was the name on everybody's lips, and Gunn made no secret of his fervent support of the fallen star. "In terms of his craft and design, he's a master," he told ELLE.com. "I applaud the opportunity. You know, The New School has always been a risk-taking institution and it's one that will do the provocative. And if it's going to happen anywhere, it's going to happen within the halls of The New School. It's taking the high road, and I have great respect for it."

The Project Runway host has been known to cause a bit of a stir himself, as he did during the repositioning of the Parsons Fashion Design program in 2001. In fact, he considers it to be the proudest moment of his entire professional career. "Much of the industry applauded it and much of the industry maligned it," he explained. "But after it was all said and done, they were happy. In fact, it was that new curriculum that gave birth to the Proenza Schouler phenomenon." (For this, we are eternally grateful, Mr. Gunn).

Reese also voiced her support for Galliano and expressed deep admiration for the place she honed her craft. "It could be great for the kids," she said. "I mean, he's had a tough time. I think he's truly sorry for everything that went down. And [Parsons] is still the best. Having been in the industry all these years, Parsons is the place to be."

Fellow alum Rodriguez echoed Reese's sentiments professing his desire to attend the prestigious fashion school from a young age, as well as his love for a certain New York icon. "I only wanted to go to Parsons, and I only wanted to work for Donna Karan," he said. "It was my dream when I was a teenager." Fortunately for Rodriguez (and our quest for the perfect LBD) he, like the Parsons Pre-College scholars, was able to attend classes on the weekends during high school.

He too believes that despite the fallout of the past two years, Galliano will provide invaluable tutelage for students. "I think that John is a great talent," he said. "Any student that gets to learn from him would be very fortunate.
elle.com

Power to the 99%

I personally find the theme of the class ... unusual, but I guess it's exactly what he wanted to do. If it were me, the class would focus on my technical expertise, which he certainly has, not 'emotion.' To me that would seem highly appropriate for a 'master class.'

28-04-2013
flaunt the imperfection..

god bless america!

you are free to do and think as you please and you go john...you go!...
i personally support you 100%...
you are an indisputable genius and have made my world a better place by virtue of your designs...

you fostered the spirit of punk and you breathed life into it...

i can only honour your great talent...

thank you for giving the world your great gift...

merci beaucoup...to infinity and beyond...

28-04-2013
V.I.P.

How cool would it be if he shows up on Anna Wintour's arm at the Met Gala!!?

29-04-2013
V.I.P.

I would love to see that, but something tells me she's not quite as overt in her support of him as that. The only reason we know the Oscar de la Renta stint was really her doing was because ODLR spilled the bean himself.

I'm so happy to see industry leaders lending their support for him as well.

29-04-2013
fashion icon

John's problem was never antisemitism or hatred but rather drug abuse and an overly caustic/hostile sense of humor.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to have him in front of some young minds to scare them away from certain vices. Oh, and of course learn from a master designer and technician.

30-04-2013
flaunt the imperfection..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterlein View Post
John's problem was never antisemitism or hatred but rather drug abuse and an overly caustic/hostile sense of humor.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to have him in front of some young minds to scare them away from certain vices. Oh, and of course learn from a master designer and technician.
exactly...

there are plenty of real enemies to fight...
people need to get their priorities straight...seriously...
imho

30-04-2013
clever ain't wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta View Post
I personally find the theme of the class ... unusual, but I guess it's exactly what he wanted to do. If it were me, the class would focus on my technical expertise, which he certainly has, not 'emotion.' To me that would seem highly appropriate for a 'master class.'
It makes perfect sense to me. His ability to translate his emotion into his art - through a filter of expertise - is what sets him apart from most designers - in fact, it's what makes any artist great.

Last edited by iluvjeisa; 30-04-2013 at 10:51 AM.
01-05-2013
windowshopping

I look forward to the future of what he will do in fashion. He was a great talent and still is. I miss his shows and the surprising things only he could create. I really hope in the future he comes back better than ever. This is a good gentle start.

V.I.P.

I always try to remember that before what could really be called his breakdown, John was not only very well liked but also regarded by many people as a genius...When you consider the second chances that have been given to so many celebs and politicians, I think it is only fair to give the same sort of consideration to John...

01-05-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterlein View Post

I frankly find Raf to be more of a racist than John. John was known for casting with diversity. Raf hasn't had a single black girl on his runway yet, and the only asians he's had are pale. He seems to like having his models be whiter than Barack Obama's glorious teeth.

02-05-2013
V.I.P.

From the NY Post...

Galliano No-Go

Don’t expect John Galliano at this year’s Met Ball. Though his designs will be included in the exhibit and will likely be worn by many at the event, the designer’s rep, Liz Rosenberg, confirmed to us that Galliano will not be in attendance. Since checking out of rehab last year, the controversial fashion figure is making a steady effort to re-emerge on the scene, including a short stint working with Oscar de la Renta in February, a student critique at the Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design in London in March and signing on to teach an upcoming three-day workshop called “Show Me Emotion” to senior BFA students at Parsons The New School for Design. Though Met Ball doyenne Anna Wintour is a longtime supporter of Galliano, attending such a highly public event may be putting him up for unnecessary scrutiny. "One step at a time," says Rosenberg when asked about Galliano attending the gala.

02-05-2013
front row

Legally talking, is there a way he could come back at his brand if he wanted ?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
career, galliano, john