How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-05-2013
backstage pass

I really want to cry! Is he never going to be able to redeem himself?? This is pathetic!

08-05-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by before View Post
How is this not a witch hunt?
He deserved to lose his job at Dior and his legion d'honneur recognition. But when does it stop? He's been under the radar, working out his problems. An opportunity like the one at Parson's wouldn't have just benefited him but the students as well. But it seems like the same people who appeal for tolerance and equality have little capacity for forgiveness.
I have been making that exact same point in the JG thread in the Rumors section. The people who are calling for his eternal crucifixion are no better than him during his tirade.

08-05-2013
rising star

it is a shame to be honest, a friend thats studying at parsons told me that some professor wouldn't even write recommendation letters for the student once they heard what it is for. I personally think Galliano's teaching would only benefit the student, and it will probably worth more than a term with some lackluster professors in parsons. it's the school and student's loss at the end of the day.

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by williscrazy View Post
it is a shame to be honest, a friend thats studying at parsons told me that some professor wouldn't even write recommendation letters for the student once they heard what it is for. I personally think Galliano's teaching would only benefit the student, and it will probably worth more than a term with some lackluster professors in parsons. it's the school and student's loss at the end of the day.
That is so upsetting. You know, there's politicians who go and sleep with a million women. Mel Gibson is a blatant anti-semite and he's still got his career. So why is it that John isn't able to redeem his? He's got everyone's support. The ADL, Anna Wintour, you name it. He's more than made up for it. He didn't sit there and issue a public apology like other people do. He worked on it. He went to rehab, he worked hands on with the ADL. He's more than made up for it. So the fact that this school is taking such a huge opportunity away from their students is just baffling. Especially after he's done so much to make up for what he said.

08-05-2013
V.I.P.

Obviously Parsons was fine, and even excited, about his involvement; this whole development just screams arm twisting behind the scene by powerful entities to wreck it...would be interesting to figure out who it might be....

08-05-2013
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Obviously Parsons was fine, and even excited, about his involvement; this whole development just screams arm twisting behind the scene by powerful entities to wreck it...would be interesting to figure out who it might be....
I agree, it would be very interesting to know who's behind this.

front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymphaea View Post
I agree, it would be very interesting to know who's behind this.
I'm sure it was all the people who were protesting. And with all those people (like that silly "petition") I think that it was most likely people who didn't even go to Parsons. The most screwed up thing about this is how they took away such an amazing opportunity. These people could've learned a lot in just three days from this man. They can overlook John Galliano's personal life and focus on the fact that he is one of the most revered fashion designers in history. I think it has more to do with these people's arrogance that they don't even care about how upset the students who really wanted to do this must be. Does anyone know some students there who planning on trying to get into it and their reactions? It would be interesting to know how they feel about it.

08-05-2013
rising star

The students are also where the complaints are coming from, there are jewish student who were completely against it and kept on protesting and persuading other students to be with them. Then there are students who decided to not apply for the workshop because of their friends which is just nonsense to me.

V.I.P.

Are people really surprised by this? Galliano's image and reputation is forever damaged. No matter how talented he is and how respected he was, his "incident" will follow him wherever he goes. The bad moments always will surpass the good moments when you're a public person, that's just the way it is. While I agree that the classes would be a fantastic opportunity for the students, I also fully understand why some would be against it.

Power to the 99%

It definitely does sound like a condition that was imposed ex post facto, and Galliano didn't go for it. Sounds like he's looking for more blaze of glory than mea culpa conditions. The spinmeisters at Parsons did a fairly masterful job with that press release.

09-05-2013
clever ain't wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc10 View Post
Are people really surprised by this? Galliano's image and reputation is forever damaged. No matter how talented he is and how respected he was, his "incident" will follow him wherever he goes. The bad moments always will surpass the good moments when you're a public person, that's just the way it is. While I agree that the classes would be a fantastic opportunity for the students, I also fully understand why some would be against it.
That idea might ultimately be what brings the western world down to its knees. It's a serious threat against democracy IMO.

Might sound melodramatic, but it essentially means you can never say anything without first carefully going over it with a PR consultant...

Last edited by iluvjeisa; 09-05-2013 at 08:16 AM.
09-05-2013
fashion elite

Am I the only one here who thinks Parsons wasn't asking for much from him? I mean, John is more than a designer. He's a celebrity, & most celebrities do have to talk about their wrongdoings if they want to clean up their image. He's BEEN a famewhore for decades. He's has no problem talking about anything in the world BUT this. We don't want to make Mr. Galliano uncomfortable, do we? I could understand if someone like Christopher Decarnin wanted to come back to the industry quietly, but John Galliano always had something to say before this scandal, & now he wants to pretend like none of this ever happened. If he does come back without having to talk about his actions, then quite frankly, he is getting off way too easy. I just laugh at the people who are saying "he has suffered long enough" or "just let the man do what loves." Getting paid to do what you love is a privilege, & it's not something that everyone gets to experience. So many people feel sorry for him & want everyone to just let this whole thing go, but I think millions of people out there (especially Jewish customers who spent a fortune on his clothes) have a right to hear what he has to say on the matter. I'm all for him coming back & restoring his legacy, but grow some balls & talk about what happened first. He's lucky to even have this much support from the fashion industry, because had this been any other field, his career would be over without any possibility of redemption.

Last edited by valliaddict; 09-05-2013 at 10:02 AM.
09-05-2013
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by valliaddict View Post
Am I the only one here who thinks Parsons wasn't asking for much from him? I mean, John is more than a designer. He's a celebrity, & most celebrities do have to talk about their wrongdoings if they want to clean up their image. He's BEEN a famewhore for decades. He's has no problem talking about anything in the world BUT this. We don't want to make Mr. Galliano uncomfortable, do we? I could understand if someone like Christopher Decarnin wanted to come back to the industry quietly, but John Galliano always had something to say before this scandal, & now he wants to pretend like none of this ever happened. If he does come back without having to talk about his actions, then quite frankly, he is getting off way too easy. I just laugh at the people who are saying "he has suffered long enough" or "just let the man do what loves." Getting paid to do what you love is a privilege, & it's not something that everyone gets to experience. So many people feel sorry for him & want everyone to just let this whole thing go, but I think millions of people out there (especially Jewish customers who spent a fortune on his clothes) have a right to hear what he has to say on the matter. I'm all for him coming back & restoring his legacy, but grow some balls & talk about what happened first. He's lucky to even have this much support from the fashion industry, because had this been any other field, his career would be over without any possibility of redemption.
Off-topic but I totally forgot about him Is he dead or what ?

09-05-2013
flaunt the imperfection..

this is totally pathetic...

why should he have to have a public therapy session in order to teach a class...?!
that is beyond crap...it's total BS...
and has nothing to do with the subject he was scheduled to teach...

i could see if it was some lecture on the dangers and traps one could fall into when working in fashion...
but that is a whole other ball of wax...

crap---just a load of crap...

this is why i didn't go to parsons...
bunch of rich b*tch, self-entitled a**holes...

Last edited by softgrey; 09-05-2013 at 12:10 PM.
09-05-2013
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valliaddict View Post
I think his reticence has more to do with the fact that there is still a lawsuit ongoing between him and his former employer. Although I don't think a few years down the road he would be screaming about it at the top of his lungs, I do think he will be more open to discussing it by then and all answers will (hopefully) be revealed.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
career, galliano, john