How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
08-05-2013
  421
backstage pass
 
xoxoadore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Puerto Rico
Gender: femme
Posts: 692
I really want to cry! Is he never going to be able to redeem himself?? This is pathetic!

  Reply With Quote
 
08-05-2013
  422
V.I.P.
 
Littleathquakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NJ
Gender: homme
Posts: 4,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by before View Post
How is this not a witch hunt?
He deserved to lose his job at Dior and his legion d'honneur recognition. But when does it stop? He's been under the radar, working out his problems. An opportunity like the one at Parson's wouldn't have just benefited him but the students as well. But it seems like the same people who appeal for tolerance and equality have little capacity for forgiveness.
I have been making that exact same point in the JG thread in the Rumors section. The people who are calling for his eternal crucifixion are no better than him during his tirade.

  Reply With Quote
08-05-2013
  423
rising star
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NY
Gender: homme
Posts: 197
it is a shame to be honest, a friend thats studying at parsons told me that some professor wouldn't even write recommendation letters for the student once they heard what it is for. I personally think Galliano's teaching would only benefit the student, and it will probably worth more than a term with some lackluster professors in parsons. it's the school and student's loss at the end of the day.

__________________
tumblr:Rusted Lens
  Reply With Quote
08-05-2013
  424
front row
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Virginia
Gender: homme
Posts: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by williscrazy View Post
it is a shame to be honest, a friend thats studying at parsons told me that some professor wouldn't even write recommendation letters for the student once they heard what it is for. I personally think Galliano's teaching would only benefit the student, and it will probably worth more than a term with some lackluster professors in parsons. it's the school and student's loss at the end of the day.
That is so upsetting. You know, there's politicians who go and sleep with a million women. Mel Gibson is a blatant anti-semite and he's still got his career. So why is it that John isn't able to redeem his? He's got everyone's support. The ADL, Anna Wintour, you name it. He's more than made up for it. He didn't sit there and issue a public apology like other people do. He worked on it. He went to rehab, he worked hands on with the ADL. He's more than made up for it. So the fact that this school is taking such a huge opportunity away from their students is just baffling. Especially after he's done so much to make up for what he said.

  Reply With Quote
08-05-2013
  425
V.I.P.
 
Boomer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Caught between the moon and New York City
Gender: homme
Posts: 22,356
Obviously Parsons was fine, and even excited, about his involvement; this whole development just screams arm twisting behind the scene by powerful entities to wreck it...would be interesting to figure out who it might be....

  Reply With Quote
08-05-2013
  426
fashion insider
 
Nymphaea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Europe
Gender: femme
Posts: 2,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Obviously Parsons was fine, and even excited, about his involvement; this whole development just screams arm twisting behind the scene by powerful entities to wreck it...would be interesting to figure out who it might be....
I agree, it would be very interesting to know who's behind this.

__________________
welcome to the inner workings of my mind
  Reply With Quote
08-05-2013
  427
front row
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Virginia
Gender: homme
Posts: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymphaea View Post
I agree, it would be very interesting to know who's behind this.
I'm sure it was all the people who were protesting. And with all those people (like that silly "petition") I think that it was most likely people who didn't even go to Parsons. The most screwed up thing about this is how they took away such an amazing opportunity. These people could've learned a lot in just three days from this man. They can overlook John Galliano's personal life and focus on the fact that he is one of the most revered fashion designers in history. I think it has more to do with these people's arrogance that they don't even care about how upset the students who really wanted to do this must be. Does anyone know some students there who planning on trying to get into it and their reactions? It would be interesting to know how they feel about it.

  Reply With Quote
08-05-2013
  428
rising star
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NY
Gender: homme
Posts: 197
The students are also where the complaints are coming from, there are jewish student who were completely against it and kept on protesting and persuading other students to be with them. Then there are students who decided to not apply for the workshop because of their friends which is just nonsense to me.

__________________
tumblr:Rusted Lens
  Reply With Quote
08-05-2013
  429
V.I.P.
 
Marc10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Brazil
Gender: homme
Posts: 8,139
Are people really surprised by this? Galliano's image and reputation is forever damaged. No matter how talented he is and how respected he was, his "incident" will follow him wherever he goes. The bad moments always will surpass the good moments when you're a public person, that's just the way it is. While I agree that the classes would be a fantastic opportunity for the students, I also fully understand why some would be against it.

__________________
i don't know her. claudia schiffer doesn't know her. she was never in paris, we don't know her.
  Reply With Quote
08-05-2013
  430
Power to the 99%
 
fashionista-ta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hardly ever at Barney's
Gender: femme
Posts: 13,469
It definitely does sound like a condition that was imposed ex post facto, and Galliano didn't go for it. Sounds like he's looking for more blaze of glory than mea culpa conditions. The spinmeisters at Parsons did a fairly masterful job with that press release.

__________________
There's a need for more individuality today, and my job is to cater to women, not dictate to them.
--Alber Elbaz
  Reply With Quote
09-05-2013
  431
clever ain't wise
 
iluvjeisa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Gender: femme
Posts: 13,848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc10 View Post
Are people really surprised by this? Galliano's image and reputation is forever damaged. No matter how talented he is and how respected he was, his "incident" will follow him wherever he goes. The bad moments always will surpass the good moments when you're a public person, that's just the way it is. While I agree that the classes would be a fantastic opportunity for the students, I also fully understand why some would be against it.
That idea might ultimately be what brings the western world down to its knees. It's a serious threat against democracy IMO.

Might sound melodramatic, but it essentially means you can never say anything without first carefully going over it with a PR consultant...


Last edited by iluvjeisa; 09-05-2013 at 08:16 AM.
  Reply With Quote
09-05-2013
  432
fashion elite
 
valliaddict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Gender: homme
Posts: 2,966
Am I the only one here who thinks Parsons wasn't asking for much from him? I mean, John is more than a designer. He's a celebrity, & most celebrities do have to talk about their wrongdoings if they want to clean up their image. He's BEEN a famewhore for decades. He's has no problem talking about anything in the world BUT this. We don't want to make Mr. Galliano uncomfortable, do we? I could understand if someone like Christopher Decarnin wanted to come back to the industry quietly, but John Galliano always had something to say before this scandal, & now he wants to pretend like none of this ever happened. If he does come back without having to talk about his actions, then quite frankly, he is getting off way too easy. I just laugh at the people who are saying "he has suffered long enough" or "just let the man do what loves." Getting paid to do what you love is a privilege, & it's not something that everyone gets to experience. So many people feel sorry for him & want everyone to just let this whole thing go, but I think millions of people out there (especially Jewish customers who spent a fortune on his clothes) have a right to hear what he has to say on the matter. I'm all for him coming back & restoring his legacy, but grow some balls & talk about what happened first. He's lucky to even have this much support from the fashion industry, because had this been any other field, his career would be over without any possibility of redemption.


Last edited by valliaddict; 09-05-2013 at 10:02 AM.
  Reply With Quote
09-05-2013
  433
front row
 
EnModeArtiste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Switzerland
Gender: homme
Posts: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by valliaddict View Post
Am I the only one here who thinks Parsons wasn't asking for much from him? I mean, John is more than a designer. He's a celebrity, & most celebrities do have to talk about their wrongdoings if they want to clean up their image. He's BEEN a famewhore for decades. He's has no problem talking about anything in the world BUT this. We don't want to make Mr. Galliano uncomfortable, do we? I could understand if someone like Christopher Decarnin wanted to come back to the industry quietly, but John Galliano always had something to say before this scandal, & now he wants to pretend like none of this ever happened. If he does come back without having to talk about his actions, then quite frankly, he is getting off way too easy. I just laugh at the people who are saying "he has suffered long enough" or "just let the man do what loves." Getting paid to do what you love is a privilege, & it's not something that everyone gets to experience. So many people feel sorry for him & want everyone to just let this whole thing go, but I think millions of people out there (especially Jewish customers who spent a fortune on his clothes) have a right to hear what he has to say on the matter. I'm all for him coming back & restoring his legacy, but grow some balls & talk about what happened first. He's lucky to even have this much support from the fashion industry, because had this been any other field, his career would be over without any possibility of redemption.
Off-topic but I totally forgot about him Is he dead or what ?

  Reply With Quote
09-05-2013
  434
flaunt the imperfection..
 
softgrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: downtown...
Gender: femme
Posts: 50,644
this is totally pathetic...

why should he have to have a public therapy session in order to teach a class...?!
that is beyond crap...it's total BS...
and has nothing to do with the subject he was scheduled to teach...

i could see if it was some lecture on the dangers and traps one could fall into when working in fashion...
but that is a whole other ball of wax...

crap---just a load of crap...

this is why i didn't go to parsons...
bunch of rich b*tch, self-entitled a**holes...

__________________
"It is not money that makes you well dressed: it is understanding."
ChristianDior




Last edited by softgrey; 09-05-2013 at 12:10 PM.
  Reply With Quote
09-05-2013
  435
V.I.P.
 
Littleathquakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NJ
Gender: homme
Posts: 4,421
Quote:
Originally Posted by valliaddict View Post
Am I the only one here who thinks Parsons wasn't asking for much from him? I mean, John is more than a designer. He's a celebrity, & most celebrities do have to talk about their wrongdoings if they want to clean up their image. He's BEEN a famewhore for decades. He's has no problem talking about anything in the world BUT this. We don't want to make Mr. Galliano uncomfortable, do we? I could understand if someone like Christopher Decarnin wanted to come back to the industry quietly, but John Galliano always had something to say before this scandal, & now he wants to pretend like none of this ever happened. If he does come back without having to talk about his actions, then quite frankly, he is getting off way too easy. I just laugh at the people who are saying "he has suffered long enough" or "just let the man do what loves." Getting paid to do what you love is a privilege, & it's not something that everyone gets to experience. So many people feel sorry for him & want everyone to just let this whole thing go, but I think millions of people out there (especially Jewish customers who spent a fortune on his clothes) have a right to hear what he has to say on the matter. I'm all for him coming back & restoring his legacy, but grow some balls & talk about what happened first. He's lucky to even have this much support from the fashion industry, because had this been any other field, his career would be over without any possibility of redemption.
I think his reticence has more to do with the fact that there is still a lawsuit ongoing between him and his former employer. Although I don't think a few years down the road he would be screaming about it at the top of his lungs, I do think he will be more open to discussing it by then and all answers will (hopefully) be revealed.

  Reply With Quote
Reply
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
career, galliano, john
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:31 PM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. ©2014 All rights reserved.