How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

15-04-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike413 View Post
This was exactly the same thought that popped into my head as soon as I read the headline.

I mean I look at the situation and frankly I think the man's been punished enough. He was fired from an extremely prestigious, extremely lucrative job, has had his name tarnished (likely permanently), and is still facing the legal consequences, all the while dealing with substance abuse and the emotional turmoil that comes with trying to recover from it. This move really does seem almost cruel. I know there are people out there who don't think Galliano deserves sympathy, but I really do feel awful for him. I have no doubt that he's in far more pain than anybody, Jewish or otherwise, has felt as a result of his words, hateful as they were. Frankly this doesn't seem fair to me.
Exactly my sentiments on this, Spike. Somehow I find more horrifying the understanding of justice shown in this whole event than some bigot's verbal diarrhea. One can sort of understand the pointlessness of prisons or specialized centers, because, regardless of how good the re-adaptation programs are, at the time you're out, you still face a society damaged by such a simplified understanding of what good and bad is, that likes to live with the notion that there's such a thing as a type of human that resembles a monster and has no other dimension besides that and that forgiveness (if you qualify) can only be handed (by them, of course) when you've been humiliated and dragged on the floor several times more than whatever your offense caused. And that still might not satisfy some, it might not 'deserving' enough. It's a bit of a.. repulsive double-standard. As repulsive as the original offense. But then I might be being such a hypocrite here because to hate the punishment you must be then a sympathizer, right?.

15-04-2011
scenester

I don't agree with those who say Galliano shouldn't have sold shares in the company if he wanted to protect his namesake line. In the fashion world and outside of it, often times companies that NEED funding must rely on outside ownership. If he hadn't sold rights to his line, it probably wouldn't even exist right now. Think of Alexander McQueen.

That being said, the idea that LVMH should just let Galliano have his company back doesn't work either. It's not like LVMH will just give away millions of dollars just so someone can feel better.

It's a tricky situation, but LVMH has not handled it well. If they were going to fire Galliano, they should have fired him from both companies at the same time, not in a staggered manner.

15-04-2011
scenester

I have no words for this. And hope he'll stand it.
What the man can actually do? Poor John.
And the world press is keeping distance. A rare fashion magazine speaks about it. Crazy. Dior's advertising money keep editors silent.

15-04-2011
V.I.P.

This truly saddens me deeply.
They are really trying to erase Galliano from fashion
at all means necessary. I hope he can overcome this

15-04-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caswell View Post
I don't agree with those who say Galliano shouldn't have sold shares in the company if he wanted to protect his namesake line. In the fashion world and outside of it, often times companies that NEED funding must rely on outside ownership. If he hadn't sold rights to his line, it probably wouldn't even exist right now. Think of Alexander McQueen.
but there are numerous legal ways he could have secured ownership of his name while still selling shares in the company.

many designers dont have rights to their name ie. jimmy choo, roland mouret and peter som. they sold those rights.

people forget that any normal non fashion company would fire people for these kind of acts.

if a video was posted on youtube of me saying those type of things I would be fired no question.

don't look down

At least it offers him the opportunity to start again - perhaps it's better for him not to return to these companies. I wish him all the best, and hope that he can overcome his demons to find a renewed satisfaction in using his talents, supported by a good team around him.

V.I.P.

Don't blame the messengers, folksies.
Clientele are not forgiving nor do they forget.... word of wisdom.

15-04-2011
V.I.P.

he may have the opportunity, if he wants to spend the money to buy back his company or the right to market a "john galliano" brand.

In Bloom

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartarse View Post
Clientele are not forgiving nor do they forget.... word of wisdom.
Of course they forget. That's what PR is for. Diverting attention.

we were in love

15-04-2011
Stitch:the Hand

but wait a minute....didn't galliano kind of already destroy his own image when he made those remarks in the first place? that video was reverberated across the globe and everybody knows about it. i don't think firing him is what is going to tarnish his image.

i'm sorry but i feel like i see a lot of excuses and not enough blame placed on he himself. if this were a world leader making these statements,and not a beloved fashion designer,would some of us be so quick to jump to his defense,then? it just appalls me how sympathetic people have been to him.

15-04-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
but wait a minute....didn't galliano kind of already destroy his own image when he made those remarks in the first place? that video was reverberated across the globe and everybody knows about it. i don't think firing him is what is going to tarnish his image.

i'm sorry but i feel like i see a lot of excuses and not enough blame placed on he himself. if this were a world leader making these statements,and not a beloved fashion designer,would some of us be so quick to jump to his defense,then? it just appalls me how sympathetic people have been to him.

What John did was disgusting. He nor anyone else should think they have the right to make such remarks. Firing him from Dior was the right thing to do. But Scott...there is such thing called over kill and this is a perfect example of it. His firing from Dior was just becaise he not only tarnished his own image but had he stayed there it would have tarnished the image of Dior as well. But now we are talking about his compnay the company he started that company this still has HIS NAME ON IT!!!!!!! It will forever be linked with John. If LVHM was so worried about the image and bad press they would get with John still being connected to him they should have just washed their hands of him and that comapny. What he did was wrong, but so is this.

What is really happening here is that they are trying to make an example of John, but they already did that when they fired him from Dior a HUGE global brand. Why is is necessary to take what little bit he has left from him. Out of respect for the man that created this comapny they could have atleast waited to make this decision until after his stood trial for what he did. Its not about being sympathetic for what he did because I do not believe thats whats going on, it about whats right and whats wrong and this is WRONG. Dont kick a man while he is down. The honorable thing would have been to part ways with him and his company and let someone else buy it.

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post

If's/Could's/Should's/Would's. the thing is, he's not a world leader, nor is he anything else. he is a beloved designer. that's why there is sympathy.

15-04-2011
trendsetter

This is vindictiveness at it's best the swan song for his own collection showed he was getting out of the artistic funk from the last several years. It will back fire on them just watch the artistic creations of Galliano is larger than any replacement(s) that can be culled.

If anything it shows the conniving greed of LMVH and their ilk and how they shamelessly exploit via cunning and ruthlessness to steal the artistic identity of an individual artist. I'm sure when John was a starving artist desperate for a gig he didn't have the business savvy to retain the rights to his own NAME! It was this naivete that allowed big business to own, hire and fire him at-will and make money off him in the afterlife.

Think of this as his mid-life crisis he'll come back smarter and healthier and no one can take away your talent period, even when they steal your identity.

15-04-2011
V.I.P.

If a killer apologise for what he did...does that make him less guilty? Sure you pardon him but he deserve every single action!!

15-04-2011
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuiceMajor View Post
If a killer apologise for what he did...does that make him less guilty? Sure you pardon him but he deserve every single action!!
I don't understand these skewed analogies. John isn't a killer, so why would we hold him to the same standards as one?

Likewise, I can say 'if a child throws a marble and it damaged someone's car, should we jail him' - and the obvious answer is no, but that doesn't apply to John either.

He didn't get out of this scott free you know - his career is over. The Galliano brand itself wasn't exactly a money maker - LVMH could've just let it die eventually. after this scandal, it was likely the Galliano brand would've shut down on its own. this is merely public execution.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
career, galliano, john