How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-04-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathless View Post
We aren't talking about JCPenny's here! Anyone able to afford something as expensive as John Galliano would more than likely know who the man is and possibly the drama that is surrounding him right now. Dior goes beyond just couture and collections so the average consumer can still afford the perfumes, bags, makeup, etc to not really care enough to know who Dior actually is but just the luxury behind the brand.
I don't think purchasing John Galliano's namesake brand gives anyone a free course on brand history. People buy it because they see it in magazines, hear about it, like it in store and so on. There is a percent of customer who really goes in-depth, does research, watches fashion shows, interviews - they know more about the brand and designers than anyone. But most people aren't that particular, believe it or not. You may go to store and ask people who buy John Galliano if they know who designed it or who this John is and what he does. You'd be surprised how many fashion illiterates you'll find and what motived them to get the particular pieces.
Also John Galliano is really not that expensive, and the 'younger' Galliano line is priced even lower. Last time I checked (ok, this week), D2squared womens line has higher prices for same stuff, leather jackets, long gowns than John Galliano; floor length black silk gown from D2 was about 3200 EUR while JG had a more unusual cut for same length and material, but was like 2600-ish or so. Of course I could also pick some 10'000 fully lined hand embroidered gown too, but that hardly represent the mean pricing of the brand.

16-04-2011
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les_Sucettes View Post
Have you seen the clothes? He couldn't be more out of touch if he tried. They are nasty, tacky and super chavy.
Chavy? Could you give some examples of such from his work? Yes, he's not subtle but I'd think he'd be one of the last to be labeled thus, when houses like Balmain reign supreme with clothes that could also be called nasty, tacky, and super chavy.

16-04-2011
barcode

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayoflight View Post
I don't think purchasing John Galliano's namesake brand gives anyone a free course on brand history. People buy it because they see it in magazines, hear about it, like it in store and so on. There is a percent of customer who really goes in-depth, does research, watches fashion shows, interviews - they know more about the brand and designers than anyone. But most people aren't that particular, believe it or not. You may go to store and ask people who buy John Galliano if they know who designed it or who this John is and what he does. You'd be surprised how many fashion illiterates you'll find and what motived them to get the particular pieces.
Also John Galliano is really not that expensive, and the 'younger' Galliano line is priced even lower. Last time I checked (ok, this week), D2squared womens line has higher prices for same stuff, leather jackets, long gowns than John Galliano; floor length black silk gown from D2 was about 3200 EUR while JG had a more unusual cut for same length and material, but was like 2600-ish or so. Of course I could also pick some 10'000 fully lined hand embroidered gown too, but that hardly represent the mean pricing of the brand.
Are you speaking about Dior's customers or Galliano's, because I guarantee that most people who pick up/try on/purchase or in any way shop for a John Galliano piece know who he is. His label is just not the kind of mega-brand that people know without knowing about.

Last edited by Spike413; 16-04-2011 at 04:26 PM.
16-04-2011
backstage pass

^ Let's just say I don't believe you because it doesn't agree what I see here, John Galliano has been carried in stores here for over a decade (since '98 or so) and people think the it's Italian brand because it's Made in Italy and stuff like that, some are pretty close and think it's British fashion brand, kinda like Vivienne Westwood. On other hand people who cry/pass over over his namesake shows and talk on their blogs how amazing it all was are not the ones purchasing any of the clothes or even the perfume.
It may be so in New York what do I know, never been there so I take your word for it.

fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvjeisa View Post
He has more talent in his little finger than 90% o all designers have in total.

It's a little funny that most people who think his drunken rant was unforgivable and a true sign of his innermost feelings also happen to heartily dislike his work.

Yeah, I have to read 1984 again.
Are they? You couldn't get it more wrong if you tried.

I actually i am the opinion think he was an amazing designer and some of his collections were unforgettable, i do think that regardless of whatever he said, his place is history of fashion as someone with incredibly talent is assured.
But like any other artist it's almost impossible to keep the quality of your work at the highest level forever and his quality has been steadily declining for a couple of years. Only someone totally blinded by fandom cannot not see it.And his own brand in the last years was simply hideous.

Plus it's absolutely irrelevant if he is or not a racist, I have no idea and frankly no interest to know if this rant was a "true sign of his innermost feelings" or not, the fact remain that what he said was racist and extremely serious and has to be deal with in that level. Why he thought it was an acceptable thing to say it's up to him to analyze, none of us know enough of the man to reach a conclusion.

Last edited by Les_Sucettes; 16-04-2011 at 04:53 PM.
16-04-2011
trendsetter

It seems obvious that there was tension boiling within Dior between John and the management before those unfortunate incidents. It was more telling that the clothes in the final Dior show as haphazard, while his own label was stunning, which implies he applied more creative genius via more time.

I assume that Dior management noticed the difference in quality between the two labels and decided to vindictively deny him of any credit, fealty, tribute and employment.

16-04-2011
Stitch:the Hand

erm....certainly galliano has had his moments but to say he has more talent than 90% is a little over-dramatic...perhaps a little biased. we've been having that same debate since he sent dead rodents down the catwalk how much the quality has declined in turn for shock tactics and gimmicks.

and again,i could care less if he was falling down sloppy drunk....making disparaging remarks about a certain ethnicity not to mention the other thing he said...is reprehensible and unacceptable. for somebody who had fronted two "global" labels that is sold world-wide,don't you think there should be repercussions for that? you don't go into shops expecting sales people to talk that way so why would we allow a fashion designer who proposes goods for us to buy that freedom?

Last edited by Scott; 16-04-2011 at 05:40 PM.
16-04-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel222 View Post
It seems obvious that there was tension boiling within Dior between John and the management before those unfortunate incidents. It was more telling that the clothes in the final Dior show as haphazard, while his own label was stunning, which implies he applied more creative genius via more time.

I assume that Dior management noticed the difference in quality between the two labels and decided to vindictively deny him of any credit, fealty, tribute and employment.

I could'nt agree more. This whole situation is just dirty. The Dior collections over the past few years have been a bit bland compared to the John Galliano collections. There was clearly a difference of opinion when it came to the type of clothes that Dior should have been producing.
Quote:
John Galliano sacked from his eponymous label
Things go from bad to worse for John Galliano after he is ousted by the board of his namesake label.

BY Belinda White | 15 April 2011

If John Galliano was thinking things couldn't get any worse this year, he was wrong.

Fresh from a stint at a rehabilitation facility in the USA, following his arrest in Paris over alleged anti-Semitic remarks made during a row outside a bar, WWD have today reported that the designer has now been ousted from his eponymous label.

The John Galliano label, founded in 1993, is 91% owned by Christian Dior SA - the label from which Galliano was fired in early March. According to reports, the company's board recently met and decided that the British designer was surplus to requirements.

It is believed that the in-house design team at John Galliano, who are currently working on a pre-spring collection, will assume responsibility for designing future collections.

Meanwhile Christian Dior SA is weighing up the long-term future of the label. It is understood they have received unsolicited third-party interest in the business, although state that the sale of the company is not a priority.

Galliano, 50, was sacked as Creative Director of Christian Dior on March 1 following anti-Semitic allegations made against him.

On February 24, Galliano was accused of hurling racist and anti-Semitic abuse at Géraldine Bloch, 35, and her companion Philippe Virgiti, 41, during an altercation outside Paris café La Perle, for which he is due to stand trial on a charge of public insult at the Paris High Court. If found guilty, Galliano could face months in prison and a fine of 22,500 euros (around £20,000), although he has vehemently denied all the charges brought against him.

Subsequently, a video clip surfaced showing him making anti-Semitic remarks to a group of girls outside the same Paris café.

Galliano fled Paris in early March to attend rehab, reportedly checking-in to The Meadows facility in Arizona, which has treated celebrities such as Tara Palmer-Tomkinson, Elle Macpherson and Ronnie Wood.

Reporters in Los Angeles heckled Galliano at the weekend in what was his first public sighting since leaving rehab. One paparazzi shouted "Racist", and another asked him if he "would do anything differently" as he walked through LAX airport.
Source : telegraph.co.uk

In reference to the bold section. WTF!?!?!?!?!?! How can the designer of the brand be considered surplus?!?!?!? If this is true which Im sure it is, it just goes to show that there was tenison between John and the big wigs at Dior. They clearly to the first chance they got to get their hands completly on that brand.

Let me be clear, in no way am I defending what he said because what he said was disgusting. I dont care if he was drunk or not. Those kind of remarks dont just manifest themselves out of nowhere. He should have to take responsibility for what he said but this whole firing him from his own label b.s just seems a little too opportunistic.

backstage pass

Do we think he will even stay in Paris? I would have thought being of British origin there is a good chance they might try and kick him out of the country.

16-04-2011
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by before View Post
Chavy? Could you give some examples of such from his work? Yes, he's not subtle but I'd think he'd be one of the last to be labeled thus, when houses like Balmain reign supreme with clothes that could also be called nasty, tacky, and super chavy.
I think it would be easier to give examples of his work that it's not chavy. His all input in the last years in his own label has been hideous.

I never said he was the only tacky label out there, Balmain totally caters the taste of a particular type of client and that makes it a successful business, I never heard it called refined. JG label is simply and totally out of touch, to be worn by people that think they are still partying in Ibiza the 1990's.

16-04-2011
V.I.P.

.... but i dont know how the french law works ,i personally don't think Galliano deserves any jail time for this.

16-04-2011
Looking Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
erm....certainly galliano has had his moments but to say he has more talent than 90% is a little over-dramatic...perhaps a little biased. we've been having that same debate since he sent dead rodents down the catwalk how much the quality has declined in turn for shock tactics and gimmicks.

and again,i could care less if he was falling down sloppy drunk....making disparaging remarks about a certain ethnicity not to mention the other thing he said...is reprehensible and unacceptable. for somebody who had fronted two "global" labels that is sold world-wide,don't you think there should be repercussions for that? you don't go into shops expecting sales people to talk that way so why would we allow a fashion designer who proposes goods for us to buy that freedom?
Oh it hardly needs to be said that Galliano's "golden years" pretty much relied on spectacle more than anything else. But he did it to such an extreme extent that it actually fooled people into thinking he was more talented than he is. I also think a huge lump of his collections WERE tacky and sometimes almost gaudy. But it became a necessary element of the Christian Dior brand. A lot of his stuff was tacky, but it never felt contrived or wannabe. Galliano's collections spoke on behalf of his personality.

16-04-2011
trendsetter

^ Let's not forget the couture and off the rack clothes are only a small to lower mid portion of the profits, everything else comes down to accessories, jewels, perfumes and the like. He gave Dior a lot of publicity because of the outlandish nature of the designs only Saudi princesses could imagine to afford.

16-04-2011
windowshopping

it must be very tough right now for Galliano. and I don't know if it is fair or not that they remove him from the Galliano label, but what kind of person agrees to start a label/ company bearing his name where they own less than 51%?

And in this case, where he owns less than 91%, of course, he has no say about the future of the JG label. this is a major mistake of his own. had he chosen smaller company size and larger share, this would not have happened.

it seems that he had forgotten that in business the glitzy swimming pool is actually full of sharks, and it is a little sad that there was nobody on his side giving him solid and sane business advice.

16-04-2011
Looking Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel222 View Post
^ Let's not forget the couture and off the rack clothes are only a small to lower mid portion of the profits, everything else comes down to accessories, jewels, perfumes and the like. He gave Dior a lot of publicity because of the outlandish nature of the designs only Saudi princesses could imagine to afford.
True. But that could be said for most of other luxury labels, especially Yves Saint Laurent, Prada, Gucci and Balenciaga. Accessories and fragrances are always bring the most revenue. Very few brands depend more on their actual clothes.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
career, galliano, john