How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

16-04-2011
no tom ford, no thanks.

well, i guess john galliano is free to design elsewhere....at balmain, perhaps.

16-04-2011
trendsetter

^ The sad part to is to lose your identity he can still work but it's like what happened to Halston whose brand was bought, and it turned tacky ending in JC Penney.

17-04-2011
clever ain't wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les_Sucettes View Post
Are they? You couldn't get it more wrong if you tried.

I actually i am the opinion think he was an amazing designer and some of his collections were unforgettable, i do think that regardless of whatever he said, his place is history of fashion as someone with incredibly talent is assured.
But like any other artist it's almost impossible to keep the quality of your work at the highest level forever and his quality has been steadily declining for a couple of years. Only someone totally blinded by fandom cannot not see it.And his own brand in the last years was simply hideous.

Plus it's absolutely irrelevant if he is or not a racist, I have no idea and frankly no interest to know if this rant was a "true sign of his innermost feelings" or not, the fact remain that what he said was racist and extremely serious and has to be deal with in that level. Why he thought it was an acceptable thing to say it's up to him to analyze, none of us know enough of the man to reach a conclusion.
It's a matter of taste. I don't like his work for Dior 1998-2003. I only like his work for Dior 2004-2006 and then I like his Galliano line, all of it, and in particular the last three years. It has been mad and inspired, just as I like art. Do you somehow think art is objective? The bolded statment would indicate that you do.

17-04-2011
clever ain't wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
erm....certainly galliano has had his moments but to say he has more talent than 90% is a little over-dramatic...perhaps a little biased. we've been having that same debate since he sent dead rodents down the catwalk how much the quality has declined in turn for shock tactics and gimmicks.

and again,i could care less if he was falling down sloppy drunk....making disparaging remarks about a certain ethnicity not to mention the other thing he said...is reprehensible and unacceptable. for somebody who had fronted two "global" labels that is sold world-wide,don't you think there should be repercussions for that? you don't go into shops expecting sales people to talk that way so why would we allow a fashion designer who proposes goods for us to buy that freedom?
Oh, is there someone out there whose taste is not biased? That would be news to me.

No. I don't think there should be repercussions on this level. I think he should be put in rehab for one to three months and then come back to continue his work. People forget. It would be easy. Some tearfilled interviews about the dangers of alcohol a couple of appearances with Natalie Portman at selected charity events and voila, only 10% would even remember this incident.

But for some reason they don't do that. Perhaps because they think they've milked him dry or because he has done something truly unforgivable. Something much worse than some drunken slurs - probably has to do with economy - maybe he was going somewhere else....

People should not be condemned this easily for what they say. Why? Because it is the people with feelings right underneath the surface, people with temperament, who are likely to say them. Masses of people will feel the same thing and not say it because of their personality traits.

If you have a society where cameras are everywhere and people are pressured and then condemned for what they say it is those who are temperamental who will disappear from public view. And yet those are the only people who can truly inspire. So we will be left with sociopathic hyenas and painfully boring people as artists. One or two is ok, but who wants them all to be like that?

17-04-2011
Stitch:the Hand

so now you're diminishing what he said as mere creative temperament? that had nothing to do with his work or his creativity. certainly had his work been the subject,you would have had a point in that but he was at a cafe basically telling patrons they were beneath him because of their ethnicity. there's nothing else there. you can rationalise it all you must but it is what is.

i'm flabbergasted,really. are we that blinded by our love of fashion that we would just condone this type of behaviour? it makes me a little ill that this is the kind of attitude i'm witnessing....that because he's an artist,it makes it okay. that's basically what i'm seeing here. and again,anybody else outside this bubble we call fashion did this we would not be so tolerant. we can persecute copy cats(rightly),we can persecute shady conglomerates but we'll let galliano slide merely because he said something while under the influence. that's an excuse.

Last edited by Scott; 17-04-2011 at 12:18 PM.
17-04-2011
V.I.P.

^ i concur...
If he had done it once and under the influence , it's excusable...
but more than a few times and with his status.... c'mon.

17-04-2011
fashion icon

Who even buys the clothes? Is the company even profitable? The brand was irrelevant with Galliano and it will be irrelevant without him. I imagine they'd just close the house down, but I suppose SOMEONE will buy it and try to do SOMETHING with it.

And I do not believe for one minute that this all happening solely because of what Galliano did.

17-04-2011
trendsetter

^ Could be in the end it's about money so maybe it'll be sold to the Italians, Americans or Asians.

17-04-2011
Looking Up

Selling Christian Dior? I doubt it. It's Pinault's baby.

17-04-2011
trendsetter

^ no the galliano label

17-04-2011
Looking Up

Oh. Yeah very likely.

17-04-2011
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squizree View Post
Selling Christian Dior? I doubt it. It's Pinault's baby.
Pinault? He's the Gucci-owner, I think you meant Arnault

Looking Up

^ Yes yes, whoever lol

18-04-2011
fashion insider

Galliano without Galliano!?!

Won`t work. The brand will go down as it happend to Helmut Lang without Helmut and Jil Sander without Jil.

Sad

18-04-2011
clever ain't wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
so now you're diminishing what he said as mere creative temperament? that had nothing to do with his work or his creativity. certainly had his work been the subject,you would have had a point in that but he was at a cafe basically telling patrons they were beneath him because of their ethnicity. there's nothing else there. you can rationalise it all you must but it is what is.

i'm flabbergasted,really. are we that blinded by our love of fashion that we would just condone this type of behaviour? it makes me a little ill that this is the kind of attitude i'm witnessing....that because he's an artist,it makes it okay. that's basically what i'm seeing here. and again,anybody else outside this bubble we call fashion did this we would not be so tolerant. we can persecute copy cats(rightly),we can persecute shady conglomerates but we'll let galliano slide merely because he said something while under the influence. that's an excuse.
Well, yes, I think this is mostly artistic temperament. I think he felt an overpowering need to say what must not be said. Not because he believed it but because he wanted to shock people. Besides, I think he made it quite clear, even in his drunkenness, that it was the ugliness that he found offensive, not the ethnicity. And he did not say that the other patrons were beneath him....do you have any idea how he feels about himself?

You feel a little sick because people want to allow others to make amends and start afresh? You seriously think that people should be shut out completely because they make a sorry spectacle of themselves when they have substance abuse problems?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
career, galliano, john