How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
18-04-2011
  106
rising star
 
Bonbonenata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sofia, Bulgaria
Gender: femme
Posts: 167
I think people overreact. It's too much. Galliano isn't Hitler!! He deserves second chance.

  Reply With Quote
 
18-04-2011
  107
don't look down
 
tigerrouge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Béal Feirste
Gender: femme
Posts: 11,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvjeisa View Post
You seriously think that people should be shut out completely because they make a sorry spectacle of themselves when they have substance abuse problems?
Indeed, I wasn't impressed with his actions and I don't believe the ability to design clothes gives anyone a free pass to act badly, but if the offence is recognised and the person is punished, there must also be a chance for rehabilitation. I certainly condemn the incident, but I see no point in condemning him thereafter if he receives appropriate punishment - and treatment - and can be helped to get back into a better and more productive place in his life.

__________________
You're perfect, yes, it's true. But without me, you're only you.
  Reply With Quote
18-04-2011
  108
Wanderlust
 
Salvatore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Paris
Gender: homme
Posts: 6,339
Waouh.
I just saw this news. I am really shocked and gasped out loud ... really !
Did not see that one coming ?

__________________
sounds like "dirty European aristocracy".....

  Reply With Quote
18-04-2011
  109
trendsetter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Gender: femme
Posts: 1,151
I didn't either. He is already down why keep kicking him in the face?

Hopefully he'll come back stronger than ever, without Dior and may be able to give us back some of his old fashion magic. I don't think during those last years Dior and Galliano made a good mix (even if last HC show was def not one of his "worst" - and his worst is still the best of some )

  Reply With Quote
18-04-2011
  110
rising star
 
MsCrow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Manchester
Gender: femme
Posts: 100
I am so disgusted by this news. I don't see the point of taking the brand from the designer and find it particularly crass they chose to do so before the 12 May trial. What is LVMH's motivations for this? The brand was never particularly profitable and went on because it was John's purest expression of creativity, without him there it's pointless and will die a death anyway. As for whether people will still wear his creations after this furore, well, I'm typing this wearing a loved F/W 06 coat. It looks and feels just the same regardless of what has been said. Does that make those who wear his clothes Nazi sympathisers? Hardly.

__________________
"The clothes in themselves do not make a statement. The woman makes a statement and the dress helps." Jean Muir
  Reply With Quote
18-04-2011
  111
trendsetter
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Gender: homme
Posts: 1,446
I believe there are legal things going behind the scenes between LVMH and Galliano that we are not privy to. I think if John stays at his label and a new Dior replacement is hired there will always be comparisons between the designs of the new designer and what John would do for his brand. That I believe is one of the major reasons why they want him gone, the constant reminder of the past and obvious comparisons would hinder the new designer's ability to create their own look for Dior.


Last edited by angel222; 18-04-2011 at 05:46 PM.
  Reply With Quote
18-04-2011
  112
Stitch:the Hand
 
Scott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Among the trees
Gender: homme
Posts: 12,881
and you guys may in fact be right that there are other components happening within that we don't know about. they indeed could have had it in for him even before all this came to fore and they just seized this opportunity. but you know,i'd lying if i said i was going to cry buckets of tears. like mutterlein said it hasn't that relevant for a while now unlike some of the situations such as helmut lang and jil sander.

and like i said,rhetoric or not,it's been said and it's out there and he has to face that. it just makes me feel a little disturbed that these things are still so prevalent in our society like it's the 1940's. the first thing anybody ever turns to when making some ridiculous rant are minorities. and i don't abide nor do i tolerate that. i come from a place where certain derogatory and disparaging words are often spouted to describe certain groups and then when i see somebody who's supposed to be educated and worldly say such things,it makes me sick.


Last edited by Scott; 18-04-2011 at 06:49 PM.
  Reply With Quote
18-04-2011
  113
V.I.P.
 
Not Plain Jane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Canada
Gender: femme
Posts: 10,528
It seems like the company should close the JG brand down. Morph it into something else. If they are so appalled by what he represents, extrapilated from what he said that fateful evening in front of that cafe, then why sell clothing under his name?

Artists other than JG have said & done horrid things and have been forgiven, re-accepted by their profession or in their circles, to varying degrees. Look at Mel Gibson, for e.g. Last I checked, he is still making films.

  Reply With Quote
19-04-2011
  114
chaos reigns
 
ultramarine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Costa Rica
Gender: homme
Posts: 6,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les_Sucettes View Post
Are they? You couldn't get it more wrong if you tried.

I actually i am the opinion think he was an amazing designer and some of his collections were unforgettable, i do think that regardless of whatever he said, his place is history of fashion as someone with incredibly talent is assured.
But like any other artist it's almost impossible to keep the quality of your work at the highest level forever and his quality has been steadily declining for a couple of years. Only someone totally blinded by fandom cannot not see it.And his own brand in the last years was simply hideous.

Plus it's absolutely irrelevant if he is or not a racist, I have no idea and frankly no interest to know if this rant was a "true sign of his innermost feelings" or not, the fact remain that what he said was racist and extremely serious and has to be deal with in that level. Why he thought it was an acceptable thing to say it's up to him to analyze, none of us know enough of the man to reach a conclusion.
Im sorry Les Sucettes, but you need to get your act together:

First you claim that the other member is wrong and then you agree?

Im extremely confused

I am no Galliano fan, and even I do agree that his collections lately have been bland, but neither you and I have an ALL-ACCESS pass on the Dior HQ to see what the hell is going on in there (and they're in lockdown about such matters).

His talent is unquestionable. He is one of the most gifted designers on fashion history and its a fact. (Though at the end he seems to have lost it like Halston).

Now what baffles me is your comment on how his label is chavtastic ... I dont see it .. at all. If I had to compare it to another label. Its reminds me of Benetton.


ATTENTION EVERYONE// MODERATOR'S NOTE:

The mods of the Designers&Collections forums (as well as the rest of the forums) are bit concerned about the direction this thread is taking. Please keep the discussion about Galliano AS A DESIGNER and his firing from his namesake label. Chat about race is a quite a difficult/tricky topic so we strongly advise not to discuss it here (and as far as I've seen, no one condones Gallianos comments).

So we would like to invite you to discuss about your sentiments on this matter, but respectfully keeping on the topic. Thank you.

__________________
Have you rated this thread yet?

Last edited by ultramarine; 19-04-2011 at 09:59 AM.
  Reply With Quote
19-04-2011
  115
trendsetter
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Gender: homme
Posts: 1,446
I just think John should take over Karl Lagerfeld's position at Chanel when the latter retires hopefully soon. His last label design had that Chanel elegance that everyone could see and was mostly practical looking clothes; it's all good.

  Reply With Quote
19-04-2011
  116
fashion insider
 
CrisGalaxy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chicago
Gender: homme
Posts: 2,118
^
John at another giant like Chanel...? eeek
thats never gonna happen

  Reply With Quote
20-04-2011
  117
no tom ford, no thanks.
 
mikeijames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: closer than you think.
Gender: homme
Posts: 5,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrisGalaxy View Post
^
John at another giant like Chanel...? eeek
thats never gonna happen
seconded. galliano might go to a smaller house in time, not a larger one.

__________________
everything is never quite enough.
  Reply With Quote
20-04-2011
  118
fashion icon
 
Mutterlein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Gender: femme
Posts: 3,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvjeisa View Post
Well, yes, I think this is mostly artistic temperament. I think he felt an overpowering need to say what must not be said. Not because he believed it but because he wanted to shock people. Besides, I think he made it quite clear, even in his drunkenness, that it was the ugliness that he found offensive, not the ethnicity. And he did not say that the other patrons were beneath him....do you have any idea how he feels about himself?

You feel a little sick because people want to allow others to make amends and start afresh? You seriously think that people should be shut out completely because they make a sorry spectacle of themselves when they have substance abuse problems?
I agree that it was his "artistic temperament" (and an alcohol problem) that led to his behavior. However, he is still responsible for what he said and he can only suffer the consequences. Is it unfortunate? Of course. Is it fair? That's subjective but I would understand if someone didn't think so. But the reality is that a man who can't control his tongue in public or hold his liquor has no business heading an international luxury brand. Does he deserve a second chance? Sure, but Dior also deserves to fire him.

But to be honest, he may not have been ousted from Dior or Galliano so quickly if he were still in fact a relevant designer that actually made a real contribution to fashion and pushed it forward. Maybe then people would have at least tried to understand him the way you seem to. Galliano was well past his prime and his collections in the past several seasons were more embarrassing than they were entertaining...exciting, desirable, chic? Those adjectives I'm afraid haven't been appropriate to describe Galliano's work in years. Racial slurs or not, he should have been let go. That he had to go like this is a lesson to be learned by all. And it's all a real shame.


Last edited by Mutterlein; 20-04-2011 at 01:13 AM.
  Reply With Quote
20-04-2011
  119
front row
 
Hemmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NYC
Gender: femme
Posts: 441
woow way to ruin someone's career


this is too much and i hate that Christian Dior SA is acting like the messiah, to me it seems obvious that they are firing him for other reasons and just took event to make it seem like they don't support racism, blah blah blah.
business is business and i really think Christian Dior SA did this whole thing because John got drunk and said what he did.

They just ruined his career.
and to be honest if i see someone wearing John Galliano or Dior, I'm not going to think
"racist"
and who ever does, I'm sorry, but that's called prejudice.
it's like everytime i see someone drinking fanta i think of the nazis or see a Mel movie i think of racism.
i don't really think john has this set of attitudes, beliefs and practices towards Jews. he was drunk and under lots of pressure.
and drunk people make mistakes, i know i have. he deserves a punishment, but not this.

__________________
niteo- my blog
  Reply With Quote
20-04-2011
  120
trendsetter
 
lebigt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Canada
Gender: homme
Posts: 1,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeijames View Post
seconded. galliano might go to a smaller house in time, not a larger one.
Well, there's now an opening at GFerre...

  Reply With Quote
Reply
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
career, galliano, john
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:07 AM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. ©2014 All rights reserved.