How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

13-11-2011
Looking Up

Jason Wu? Really? Have they lost their minds? I mean Wu is nice and all, but putting him where Galliano used to be is like replacing Big Ben with a watch.

13-11-2011
V.I.P.

Definitely the best choice is Olivier... C'mon I can imagine Wu or Wang with they sporty american style at Dior RTW and would be worse with the HC line... just saying

13-11-2011
trendsetter

First I think that thete are a lot of talented and young designers that could 'grow' into the role of a couturier. Look at riccardo at givenchy, he has done wonderful things.

And after careful consideration I think that, next to Olivier of course, that Iris van Herpen could do absolutely jawdropping things at the house of Dior. Her work might not seem classical enough but she has the creativity and the understanding of the technical side. Her asthetic combined with a more classical one lik Dior's would be heavenly.

I would wish that LVMH would be a bit more daring in their consideration of designers (come on, Marc Jacobs, are you serious?) maybe choosing one with a more edgy aesthetic. They make most of their money with make-up, perfums and bags anyway. So why going safe and boring with the clothes?

14-11-2011
no tom ford, no thanks.

^i don't think that lvmh nor arnault has that "daring" spirit.....remember, galliano found his place due to anna wintour championing him. something tells me that if she really threw her weight behind someone, they would've made their decision by now.

14-11-2011
V.I.P.

One thing that stuck out to me from the luxurysociety.com article is that there may be waning interest in the position because as of this point none of the name-brand designers want to be seen as the third, fourth or fifth choice for the job, I get that. I don't think that the protracted search has hurt the brand in terms of sales, but I can see why, at this point, if someone (other than the three upcoming names that I mention) is named the Creative Director (CD) s/he will have added challenges on his / her hands. I think that the options are at this point: 1) Name Gaytten the permanent CD; 2) Name Gaytten the interim CD for an extended period of time like a year (in order to get a breather from this search); 3) Re-appoint Galliano; 4) Appoint Tisci since his was the first name in the hat.

My guess is that they are going to go with either of the first two choices. As a fashion spectator I would love to see some flamboyant genius join the house who will create spectacular collections but I don't know if that is needed at Dior. No matter what I want, I know that there are examples of other houses that are thriving after elevating second bananas to the top spot like Alexander McQueen, Gucci and Valentino and I doubt if that has escaped LVMH's notice. At the end of the day they are really in it to sell more handbags and other accessories, and cosmetics and fragrances. They also want to sell clothes and service their haute couture clients but I don't know if Dior's core RTW customers are trendy, and when it comes to haute couture customers are they loyal to Dior because of the CD or because of their relationships with the atelier. At this point, I am not sure if a flamboyant genius is much more beneficial to the house than a mild-mannered designer who will create nice but not earth shattering clothes.

14-11-2011
V.I.P.

if they want the latter, they can call off the search cause that's exactly what Gaytten did for the last RTW collection - nice, non-descript clothing that could've fallen under any brand.

14-11-2011
V.I.P.

Wang? Really? Totally wrong for Dior. Wu would be good if they search the successor of Gaytten.
I personally wouldn't mind a British designer like Richard Nicoll, Jasper Conran or even Jonathan Saunders. I doubt that they would refuse the job because they were in the 5th hat. Altough Nicoll and Saunders are in their thirties, I can't imagine a younger designer at Dior. Since the brand is for mature women, it needs a mentally mature designer as well. The other reason is the couture department. It's identified with craftmanship which is based on experience, i mean in ages. I doubt that a younger designer does have the knowledge of any real haute couture and can have the respect from the team.
Anyway the best choice still seems to be Theyskens. The only thing against him is the lack of skirt. But it's not a big thing i guess.

14-11-2011
V.I.P.

This whole thing has gone from interesting to sad...

15-11-2011
rising star

^^ It's true. I have never imagined that Dior could fall this way.

15-11-2011
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackos View Post
Alexander Wang for Christian Dior? Are we still being serious?
Yeah, not a good match. If they go with a younger designer I think it should be Altazurra.

16-11-2011
windowshopping

The best thing for Dior is: John Galliano ***Edited*** Dior can't loose Galliano I hope he come back!

Last edited by BetteT; 18-11-2011 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Removing off topic conversation ... inflamitory.

16-11-2011
Ère de ℳodernité

***Edited***
I'd root for Lacroix at Dior. He deserves it.

Last edited by BetteT; 18-11-2011 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Removing off topic and inflamitory conversation.

16-11-2011
windowshopping

***Edited***
But I agree with you Lacroix deserve it

Last edited by BetteT; 18-11-2011 at 03:13 PM. Reason: Removing response to edited post.

16-11-2011
Alluring

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRendon View Post
The best thing for Dior is: John Galliano**Edited**
Dior can't loose Galliano I hope he come back!
Which would mean going back to the uninspired parades of washed out New Look rehashing due to constantly being under your CEO's pressure. Do we really want this? Looking at Dior collections since 2008, I don't.

Last edited by BetteT; 18-11-2011 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Editing quote.

16-11-2011
V.I.P.

Lacroix as Dior designer?
That's music for my ears, the best thing I have heard today...

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#1, dior, galliano, john, succeed