How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Closed Thread

13-12-2011
backstage pass

Never thought about him, But I think he can totally handle the job. The problem is what will raf brings us ? And the accessories ? How would it be like ? Since I think the accessories is still the strongest sells of Dior. And Sorry Gayten, Maybe he can still be the head of womenswear ?

13-12-2011
no tom ford, no thanks.

with the latest rumor, my mind floods with questions which means they're on the right track: my curiosity peaks at what raf simons might do for a house like dior. on the one hand, i find his perspective so much more enthralling than that which exists at the house currently, but, on the other side, his designs have an intellectualist bent that would make him perfect for a house like yves saint laurent (with, perhaps, a theyskens following him at jil sander?). also, forget couture, i just don't see raf simons creating collections that would invigorate dior's other product lines, particularly accessories (when's the last time jil sander had an "it" bag? doesn't jil sander footwear fall more into the novelty than "it" category? after all, why would dior tap an anselm reyle if they didn't want dior to follow the footsteps of a vuitton with regard to accessories?). on the flip side, raf would work magic at dior homme and i could imagine him making that house so much more lucrative than it is now.

it seems to me that if they wanted to go in this direction, they'd go with a bolder choice like hedi or some such (yes, beating a dead horse, i know). also, who would then helm jil sander? some real horse trading would have to occur because they're not just going to lose their prized pig because arnault comes calling.

13-12-2011
Looking Up

It's not that I dislike Raf, he's a visionary really. But I'm not sure if going from Galliano to Raf is really that wise. How do you go from ultra-flamboyant details and excessive fabric to super-minimalism? It just doesn't sound right does it? Call me shallow but I want Dior to still be that borderline vulgar house with the smeared makeup and covered in miles of fabric.

13-12-2011
clever ain't wise

^Have a look at Raf's last collection for Jill Sander. It's different, more expressive. I think he can do it and do it well. Although I would have thought he would actually be perfect for LV.

13-12-2011
V.I.P.

he's actually the best choice presented yet. thank god marc jacobs and alexander wang are out of the picture for good....

13-12-2011
.my prison is your brain.

I love Raf, but like everyone else this aesthetic pairing makes me go "huh"? I hope (if the rumors are true) he wows us all, I think he's certainly quite likely to do so. I also hope that the pressure doesn't get to him, he seems a man who likes his privacy and with a move to Dior he would certainly be thrust into the spotlight more than he is accustomed.

13-12-2011
Geometric Discharge

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeijames View Post

it seems to me that if they wanted to go in this direction, they'd go with a bolder choice like hedi or some such (yes, beating a dead horse, i know). also, who would then helm jil sander? some real horse trading would have to occur because they're not just going to lose their prized pig because arnault comes calling.

Maybe they'll get on their knees and beg Phoebe to go to Jil?

13-12-2011
trendsetter

Of all the rumored candidates so far, Raf is the only one I've gotten excited about .
But if losing him at Jil Sander is the price, it's too high.

13-12-2011
tfs star

I think its not a rumour anymore. Practically heard it from the man himself......

13-12-2011
Mr. Magic

That fast?
Quote:
@TheGQStyle GQ Style UK
Raf Simons set to sign a contract today to move to #Dior!

(IT'S GOING DOWN
ô)
MENS Runway Model Showlists - Mens RTW S/S 2015

13-12-2011
V.I.P.

So I guess it's official...I can't say Raf was my first thought when it came to Dior but I will wait to see what he does with couture. Hopefully he'll surprise us with a new and freash direction.

13-12-2011
backstage pass

why would raf simons do this? i don't get it, what's in it for him?

13-12-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatouejeremie View Post
why would raf simons do this? i don't get it, what's in it for him?
With no offense intended, I think that's a bit of a rhetorical question. Though I was not the least bit unimpressed with his latest offering at Jil Sander, I'm still not convinced he's a good fit at Dior; not by a long shot. From overt luxuriousness, decorative detail and opulence to minimalism? I'm still a fan of that dreamy fantasy Galliano gave us at Dior. Dior just won't be the same for me. Though I truly hope Simons proves me wrong.

13-12-2011
V.I.P.

It's confirmed?

13-12-2011
backstage pass

Wow, I guess it is somewhat official? It can't be confirmed until we hear from LVMH though, so let's not jump to conclusions.
I adore Raf Simons and as a loyal customer, I'm nervous his menswear line is going to suffer, which it already has in more ways than one. I also love Dior, with or without Galliano (who I also adore) and I am truly happy that two of my favorite things are coming together. I never really imagined Dior under Raf's minimal aesthetic and I'm not so sure I've fully grasped a clear image of what Dior under his direction would look like...I guess only time will tell.

Closed Thread
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
#2, dior, galliano, hired, john, offically, raf, simons, succeed, update