How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
10-03-2006
  16
follow the lights
 
Baizilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Copenhagen
Gender: homme
Posts: 2,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricotineacetat
...soooo, the only thing IŽd love to know is, whom of you girls is actually wearing Rochas??
Yeah, great question.

I would like to ask the same question, not only about Rochas, but also Balenciaga & Chanel... generally those labels with high pricepoints..

because if you look at the "What are you wearing today?" thread.. you see a general pattern, that is; not a lot of the girls are wearing clothes from expensive labels (however they still look great, though ), whereas the guys are all wearing expensive designer labels from top to toe.. i'm talking C Diem/LMaltieri, DH, CCP, Raf Simons, all those belgian designers etc...

I've been wondering about this for quite a while.. only explanation i could think of is; the girls are more interested in the aesthetic point of view, "it is not about what you wear, but how you wear it"... while the guys are interested in the quality, thus the expensive clothes..

but maybe this belongs to another thread

  Reply With Quote
 
10-03-2006
  17
flaunt the imperfection
 
softgrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: downtown...
Gender: femme
Posts: 50,834
hopping on the 'how can you NOT love it?' train....
taking it all the way to the end of the line...


...

__________________
"It is not money that makes you well dressed: it is understanding."
ChristianDior



  Reply With Quote
10-03-2006
  18
V.I.P.
 
faust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: New York City
Posts: 10,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baizilla
Yeah, great question.

I would like to ask the same question, not only about Rochas, but also Balenciaga & Chanel... generally those labels with high pricepoints..

because if you look at the "What are you wearing today?" thread.. you see a general pattern, that is; not a lot of the girls are wearing clothes from expensive labels (however they still look great, though ), whereas the guys are all wearing expensive designer labels from top to toe.. i'm talking C Diem/LMaltieri, DH, CCP, Raf Simons, all those belgian designers etc...

I've been wondering about this for quite a while.. only explanation i could think of is; the girls are more interested in the aesthetic point of view, "it is not about what you wear, but how you wear it"... while the guys are interested in the quality, thus the expensive clothes..

but maybe this belongs to another thread
Actually, I think this is only a partial reason. Another big part of that reason is that in the US, unlike in Europe - you usually (not always) must pay through the nose to get beautiful, well-fitted menswear. Women can much faster get away with high street stuff, because they have so much more choice. It's a matter of the view of masculinity in the US - if you are a "real" man, you better be a careless slob.

  Reply With Quote
10-03-2006
  19
flaunt the imperfection
 
softgrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: downtown...
Gender: femme
Posts: 50,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricotineacetat
...soooo, the only thing IŽd love to know is, whom of you girls is actually wearing Rochas??
guess who???...


...
it's mostly eveningwear...
you wouldn't really wear it for day...so that is probably part of the issue...
you would probably only see people wear this stuff at particular events...

it's not usually the kind of thing you just wear out to dinner even...
it's quite stiff and formal really...

__________________
"It is not money that makes you well dressed: it is understanding."
ChristianDior



  Reply With Quote
10-03-2006
  20
front row
 
Join Date: May 2005
Gender: homme
Posts: 332
faust: Exactly. Most department stores I have been to cater to a 'beach/surfer dude' aesthetic, which I care very little for. My girlfriend finds it much easier to get interesting, non 'surfer' clothing at a reasonable price.

And plus, how can you not be astounded by this:

style.com


Last edited by andrew; 10-03-2006 at 03:53 PM.
  Reply With Quote
10-03-2006
  21
front row
 
chicgarcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Gender: homme
Posts: 222
First off....Hate rochas by olivier?!

...I can understand these hate/likes with other designers who get a tad-bit silly. But Olivier Theyskens??

Second, on who wears him...I know a few women who own a gown or two, but i sometimes think his clientele is a much more mature/older woman. Rather than his ideal shown on the runway. personal opinion ofcourse.

Balenciaga is limited, if any (that can be found in decent shape/size) pieces for boys..so I cant vouch for that. Unless you're talking about bags, then I can

Chanel? hah... who doesnt own anything chanel these days.

  Reply With Quote
10-03-2006
  22
follow the lights
 
Baizilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Copenhagen
Gender: homme
Posts: 2,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by faust
It's a matter of the view of masculinity in the US - if you are a "real" man, you better be a careless slob.
This is a very sad perception of how a 'real' man should be.

  Reply With Quote
10-03-2006
  23
Power to the 99%
 
fashionista-ta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hardly ever at Barney's
Gender: femme
Posts: 13,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey
guess who???...


...
it's mostly eveningwear...
you wouldn't really wear it for day...so that is probably part of the issue...
you would probably only see people wear this stuff at particular events...

it's not usually the kind of thing you just wear out to dinner even...
it's quite stiff and formal really...
That seems to have changed though with this most recent collection ... lots of pants, short skirts, and even *shorts* ... I think the line is becoming more wearable ...

Anna Wintour had ... oh dear, what is her name, the socialite who has an occasional column in Vogue ... it's on the tip of my tongue ... test drive one of the stiffer gowns from last fall, and the feedback wasn't great. Apparently it felt as stiff as it looked. Perhaps he took this to heart ...

Also, Oliviers has a bit of a poignant personal story, another reason to love not hate

__________________
There's a need for more individuality today, and my job is to cater to women, not dictate to them.
--Alber Elbaz
  Reply With Quote
10-03-2006
  24
flaunt the imperfection
 
softgrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: downtown...
Gender: femme
Posts: 50,834
marina rust?...


yes- it is the separates that i find most wearable in my lifestyle...

__________________
"It is not money that makes you well dressed: it is understanding."
ChristianDior



  Reply With Quote
10-03-2006
  25
Power to the 99%
 
fashionista-ta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hardly ever at Barney's
Gender: femme
Posts: 13,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicgarcon
Chanel? hah... who doesnt own anything chanel these days.
Not me ... :p And I daresay a good percentage of the rest of the population. Everything I like from Chanel is always logoed out the wazoo, and there's nothing I dislike more than dangling initials that aren't mine ...

__________________
There's a need for more individuality today, and my job is to cater to women, not dictate to them.
--Alber Elbaz
  Reply With Quote
10-03-2006
  26
Power to the 99%
 
fashionista-ta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Hardly ever at Barney's
Gender: femme
Posts: 13,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey
marina rust?...
Yup

__________________
There's a need for more individuality today, and my job is to cater to women, not dictate to them.
--Alber Elbaz
  Reply With Quote
10-03-2006
  27
flaunt the imperfection
 
softgrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: downtown...
Gender: femme
Posts: 50,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicgarcon

Second, on who wears him...I know a few women who own a gown or two, but i sometimes think his clientele is a much more mature/older woman. Rather than his ideal shown on the runway. personal opinion ofcourse.
this is true for most, if not ALL designers...

**the models are 15 yr old scarecrows...!!!...
of COURSE they are not the real customer...
of ANY designer collection...

-how many 15 yr olds do you know who can buy a $2000 dress...?
and even if they could...where would they wear it?...
and wouldn't they just look very foolish...
like a little girl playing 'dress up' in her mommy's closet.....???

these clothes are NOT for little girls...



...

__________________
"It is not money that makes you well dressed: it is understanding."
ChristianDior



  Reply With Quote
10-03-2006
  28
fashion icon
 
MUXU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: LDN
Gender: femme
Posts: 3,060
i love his designs and the long dresses
makes the models look so tall and lean

but obviously i cant afford and no point of wearing a gown to school..(might get mustard on it >'_'<)


Last edited by MUXU; 10-03-2006 at 05:38 PM.
  Reply With Quote
10-03-2006
  29
backstage pass
 
augustus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Banging in the Chi
Gender: femme
Posts: 634
I remembered passing the windows of Barney's New York 2 years ago and saw this stunning Rochas dress; and I never got it out of my mind.
It was, simply, beautiful.

Rochas' price point is a bit high but to me the problem is that, none of them are extremely wearable for me and the selection I have is small. Granted, I own one outfit from Rochas but that's it. Balenciaga can be "fancy" but I can still pull it off, because I go to "dressy" places etc., but sighs, Rochas is different.

  Reply With Quote
10-03-2006
  30
front row
 
tuomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: on the road
Gender: homme
Posts: 214
Is there anyone else except Olivier and YSL, who have accomplished so much in their early 20s? The guy was hardly growing stubble when he created all that lovely gothic stuff for his own line. Another thing is that he has truly stayed honest to his vision, it would been so easy for him to sell out after the unfortunate death of his signature collection...but luckily Olivier's smart with his moves and now we have Rochas!

__________________
" If fashion is your trade, then when you're naked, I guess you must be unemployed" Jarvis Cocker/Pulp
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
like or hate, olivier, rochas, theyskens
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"


 
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:49 PM.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
TheFashionSpot.com is a property of TotallyHer Media, LLC, an Evolve Media LLC company. ©2014 All rights reserved.