How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

10-03-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta
Yup
What is this about? I cant find a reference to it anywhere.

10-03-2006
front row

^ marina -rust

10-03-2006
Power to the 99%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiennaInLondon
What is this about? I cant find a reference to it anywhere.
The socialite who test drove the Rochas dress whose name I couldn't remember ...

10-03-2006
V.I.P.

... can i tell you why i like/hate these 'why do you like/hate ___' threads? ... ....

11-03-2006
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuomas
Is there anyone else except Olivier and YSL, who have accomplished so much in their early 20s? The guy was hardly growing stubble when he created all that lovely gothic stuff for his own line. Another thing is that he has truly stayed honest to his vision, it would been so easy for him to sell out after the unfortunate death of his signature collection...but luckily Olivier's smart with his moves and now we have Rochas!
i was under the impression that he closed his own company upon getting the offer from rochas...
not that he went out of business first and then got the job...

so there was technically no 'demise'...which implies some tragic end...
he simply made a choice to focus on the job at hand at rochas...
which he really needed to do-
since, as you mentioned...he was still young and green and learning...

correct me if i am wrong...

the truth is...
if he makes a real success of it at rochas (which he seems to be on track with)...
then he will be poised to build an empire under his own name...
clever boy that olivier...

11-03-2006
fashion insider

The resaon he closed his line and started working for Rochas was in Vogue July 2003--"When that label folded in early 2002, after a falling-out with his Belgian-fisheries-magnate backer, he didn't panic...Theyskens set to work custuming an opera for the Theatre Royal de la Monnaie in Brussels and--to everybody'd syrprise--accepted the job of restoring the fortunes of thr moribund house of Rochas."

I loved Olivier's interpretation of old world couture...his stiff, structured dresses of Rochas are always so beautiful and grand...I also love his signiture skirt suits for Rochas...but I'm not sure if I prefer his new approach on the lighter, more relaxed, matronly look with long sleeves, and baggy skirts...I want a see a new direction soon...it's about time he proogress into the next interpretation of a Rochas woman

11-03-2006
V.I.P.

I could get excited so I'm thinking how to start... first off, it's like or maybe 'love' for me - too easy to see coming Olivier just seems to redefine beauty every season. His dedication is astounding; but equally so, is his seamless interweaving of whichever influences drive his advancement of the definition. His collections aren't so theme-driven, it's just incredible refinement. I miss the days of his eponymous line you know, but only a little. Maybe like how I miss my own childhood :p

front row

[quote=softgrey]i was under the impression that he closed his own company upon getting the offer from rochas...
not that he went out of business first and then got the job...

Nope, as Foxie pointed out he closed his business already in 2002 due to problems with his financier. There were also rumours of him going to Givenchy a few years ago, but the poor bastards hired Julien McDonald instead...

windowshopping

I do actually have and wear some pieces of Rochas but i bought them in a private sale so the price was really really low.Besides the fact that the price is lower is true that is still difficult to find some pieces wearable the day for young women...The shoes are really nice and some sweaters are amazings...but the style is still a bit more for older women or really chic young women.
Last collection showed another direction, the shorts and pants look amazing...

11-03-2006
front crow

The most refined clothes that communicate a positive spirited darkness. Always loved it and if anyone has pictures of his early work, i think its worth posting. i remember a corset with rigid hood from a visionaire book(not THE visionaire luxury magazine, but an earlyer version) I also have an interesting picture od an object he uses as inspiration for rochas. Ill find time to scan it and post it its really something.

11-03-2006
flaunt the imperfection

thanks foxie pooh....
i guess it was such a smooth segue and since he didn't make a big fuss about shutting his company...
i just assumed that is was as a result of the job offer at rochas...

as haruki pointed out...
there had been talk of him going elsewhere as well...
so it wasn't a big surprise to me when it happened...

thanks for the details on the way it really went down...

11-03-2006
Fat Karl

Does anyone have pictures from his own line before he started working at Rochas?

11-03-2006
Amour Comme Hiver

Love- The clothes, the image, the prettiness, and the shows' "clean" look

Hate- The fact that Olivier is gay, because I want to marry that guy. He's number three on my "Designers That Are Gay That I Wish Were Straight So I Could Have A Chance With Them" list (just behind Ghesquiere and that guy Daniel from Project Runway).

11-03-2006
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista-ta
That seems to have changed though with this most recent collection ... lots of pants, short skirts, and even *shorts* ... I think the line is becoming more wearable ...

Anna Wintour had ... oh dear, what is her name, the socialite who has an occasional column in Vogue ... it's on the tip of my tongue ... test drive one of the stiffer gowns from last fall, and the feedback wasn't great.
cathy horyn (i think) said that a model in the showroom (housing the spring 2006 clothes) said her long white skirt was as comfortable as her blue jeans.

so....how can you hate rochas by olivier theyskens:p

"...buttoned up to the breast, and made with wings, welts, and pinions on the shoulder points, as mans apparel is for all the world...and though this be a kinde of attire appropriate onely to man, yet they blush not to wear it..."
12-03-2006
etre soi-meme

^ i'll tell you how..
just try to have a look at his ss06 collection up close and maybe you will get persuaded.. the whole construction is wrong, the details are very very cheap, even the fabrics are wrong, thats mainly for the 'daywear' looks which seem as being manufactured by any slightly low budget, bad taste pret-a-porter company. I understand people being hyped by his looks and by catwalk but up close those clothes are a shame to be carrying the Rochas label, sorry

i totally adore how Theyskens looks (he's the cutest) but when seen up close his work for Rochas is a complete dissapointment (to me that is)

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
like or hate, olivier, rochas, theyskens