Yeezy F/W 2016.17 New York - Page 5 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

12-02-2016
trendsetter

"Note that Wintour was seated in the Kardashian section. Frankly, this was a mistake: She needed to be seated with her own people, where her power is clear and separate. Instead, she looked diminished, like a Kardashian accessory."

Savage from Cathy, beautiful.

12-02-2016
barcode

On a serious note, because the jokes and wise cracks will no doubt continue to write themselves, I've sort of had it with these comments along the lines of "Anna/Carine/Such-and-Such are embarrassing themselves by being there/thinking they're cool/blah blah blah". The cold hard fact is that the fame, reach and influence of The Kardashian clan and Kanye himself FAR surpasses even Anna Wintour's. Like Cathy said, those editors need them more than they need the editors. All that Kim and her crew get out of it is an ego boost, some validation that they're in the oftentimes exclusionary inner sanctum of the fashion world. What Anna, Carine et al get out of it though is MONEY. That s*** sells, like it or not (and for the record, I don't like it). Fashion as a whole is not about what's chic or what's stylish or what's creative anymore, and anyone wishing that it still is is holding on to a dream that has long since passed. These editors are merely playing the game and doing it as well as they can. There's very little room in business, particularly the fashion business as it currently exists, for high minded principles and artistic integrity.

All that said, I can't stand this. If this was in fact strictly an album listening party or concert with some performance artiness thrown in, I'd be fine with it. Perhaps a little indifferent but fine with it. But the fact that this presentation was even remotely promoted as having to do with FASHION chaps my goddamn a**. I like and admire Kanye as a musician, I find him talented and original (not nearly as talented and original as he finds himself but then, nobody does), I've even paid money to see his concerts which, frankly, were more creative and artistic than anything he's ever shown on a runway, but this delusion of being a fashion designer by putting on these presentations that serve only to market clothes which are beyond basic, yet sell as if they're luxury items is, to me, offensive. But, that's fashion for you. It's just like Cathy said, there's a lot of spectacle and pretty words and concepts these days except the ultimate feeling is one of emptiness in the end.

Last edited by Spike413; 12-02-2016 at 03:22 PM.
12-02-2016
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitamine W View Post
This whole set up was preposterous with the Kardashian's arriving in white feathered looks as if they were royals. Utterly laughable.
This... actually made me a little sick.

Quote:
Having said that, some of the looks and silhouettes structurally improved. Some jackets are actually desirable in a Vetements kind of way. I think the team did go forward under the lead of Alistair Carr who sold out to Kanye after stints at McQ, Pringle and Cavalli..
Agreed on the jackets. It almost felt like someone else designed them, which I see turned out might've been the case.

12-02-2016
trendsetter

ridiculous performance rules, seriously crazy

12-02-2016
trendsetter

Cathy always on point with the reviews. I can't even read Vogue's reviews anymore.

12-02-2016
#Resist

^ The Vogue reviews are about a 1% tincture of honesty.

12-02-2016
Hell on Heels

apparently the theme was ''channeling a Rwandan refugee camp"

nice.

12-02-2016
barcode

^ I mean, in all fairness Alexander McQueen once printed images of the Romanov children in his Joan collection and, I believe, Vietnamese prisoners of war in his Dante collection. Certainly those things are just as touchy, and potentially offensive to people, no?

Last edited by Spike413; 12-02-2016 at 05:39 PM.
12-02-2016
tfs star

Bless you Cathy Horyn! This is why I admire her so much.

This collection felt short. I mean as much as some pieces actually look decent they are still overpriced with blatant design process made of regular material. There is no substance.

And the fact that he had chosen to do the Taylor Swift jab is definitely a call for greater attention.

12-02-2016
backstage pass

Cathy read him for filth just by stating the facts. Seriously I hope I can be that great (and savage) of a writer one day.

The fact that we've made it to "Yeezy Season 3" and the big thing that it's become are both indictments of our society.

12-02-2016
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolkfolk View Post
This + all the bat sh*t craziness he's delivering on twitter lately just makes sick.

*** Please refrain from quoting images ***
@kurents intagram

I really wish the fashion will stop degrading themselves by trying to make him happen just because they think it makes them looks cool , young and hip. It doesn't they guy has no talent, no vision, no taste, nothing. He's just vile and reached a level of obnoxiousness that I don't think ever excited. It's time for people to put him in his place. Let him be gone and take the whole K family with him.
Maybe you are just referring to fashion but Kanye is/was a talented rapper and producer. He and some other artists changed rap music from what it had been in the 90's to be more socially aware...

What happened to Kanye after he lost his mother is another story. Of course getting on board the Kardashian train has not help whatever sanity he has left...

His clothes would be Ok if it was just a side project since there is improvement from season to season IMO. However, the hype/publicity behind it is just so gross...

This life is a process of learning- Lauryn Hill

Last edited by TheoG; 12-02-2016 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Quoting Image
12-02-2016
V.I.P.

My two cents:

1. I actually liked the collections he did with APC -- the looks were well put together and I thought it showed promise.
2. I liked the shoes from his first womenswear collection -- I think they were a collab with Giuseppie.

Now these Adidas collections...look, I only see celebs wearing it because they get it for free. Why would I spend $3,000 on sweater that looks like it was eaten by moths?

12-02-2016
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zposen View Post
Maybe you are just referring to fashion but Kanye is/was a talented rapper and producer. He and some other artists changed rap music from what it had been in the 90's to be more socially aware...

What happened to Kanye after he lost his mother is another story. Of course getting on board the Kardashian train has not help whatever sanity he has left...

His clothes would be Ok if it was just a side project since there is improvement from season to season IMO. However, the hype/publicity behind it is just so gross...
There was plenty of social awareness in hip hop years before Kanye came on the scene. He didn't change anything. He just became famous. I think he's super talented, and his music is often times great, but like most self absorbed narcissists, he's become an insufferable parody. In all seriousness I think he needs mental help.

12-02-2016
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spike413 View Post
On a serious note, because the jokes and wise cracks will no doubt continue to write themselves, I've sort of had it with these comments along the lines of "Anna/Carine/Such-and-Such are embarrassing themselves by being there/thinking they're cool/blah blah blah". The cold hard fact is that the fame, reach and influence of The Kardashian clan and Kanye himself FAR surpasses even Anna Wintour's. Like Cathy said, those editors need them more than they need the editors. All that Kim and her crew get out of it is an ego boost, some validation that they're in the oftentimes exclusionary inner sanctum of the fashion world. What Anna, Carine et al get out of it though is MONEY. That s*** sells, like it or not (and for the record, I don't like it). Fashion as a whole is not about what's chic or what's stylish or what's creative anymore, and anyone wishing that it still is is holding on to a dream that has long since passed. These editors are merely playing the game and doing it as well as they can. There's very little room in business, particularly the fashion business as it currently exists, for high minded principles and artistic integrity.

All that said, I can't stand this. If this was in fact strictly an album listening party or concert with some performance artiness thrown in, I'd be fine with it. Perhaps a little indifferent but fine with it. But the fact that this presentation was even remotely promoted as having to do with FASHION chaps my goddamn a**. I like and admire Kanye as a musician, I find him talented and original (not nearly as talented and original as he finds himself but then, nobody does), I've even paid money to see his concerts which, frankly, were more creative and artistic than anything he's ever shown on a runway, but this delusion of being a fashion designer by putting on these presentations that serve only to market clothes which are beyond basic, yet sell as if they're luxury items is, to me, offensive. But, that's fashion for you. It's just like Cathy said, there's a lot of spectacle and pretty words and concepts these days except the ultimate feeling is one of emptiness in the end.
Agree! This only hurts Kanye the musician. No one is talking about the music just this stupid show and gross surgically enhanced wife..

This life is a process of learning- Lauryn Hill
12-02-2016
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakThatJDunn View Post
Anna is honestly making a fool out of herself for attending every season. I can just imagine her thinking behind it "Omg they're so cool, the young people love them". In reality, Kanye and Kim are generally disliked. It's cringeworthy.

Also, Karlie attending only for him to talk all that trash about her BFF Taylor is also embarassing. These celebs need to get it together.

*** Please refrain from quoting images ***
tidal
I think Anna is just being nice,she looked very uncomfortable.Karlie actually took down the photo she had with yeezys on instagram, and apparently ripped up a "contract" she had with him.

Last edited by TheoG; 12-02-2016 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Quoting Images
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
f or w, kanye, west, yeezy, york