How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

18-04-2011
flaunt the imperfection..

in a recent interview yohji said that he always had RULES for himself as a designer...
but now had decided that there are NO RULES...
and he can do anything...whatever he wants...

i really really really want to know what those rules have been...

18-04-2011
V.I.P.

^ black rules with a dash of color.

18-04-2011
vertebrae by vertebrae

^ thanks for the scans

16-05-2011
El Viaje Definitivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey View Post
maybe it is this?
http://www.nowness.com/day/2011/3/21...mamoto-s-dream

but maybe this is something else...
it seems to be directed by theo stanley...
it's "my dear bomb". it came out on march 29 over here. but I had not known the french and english versions were to precede, and they might already have been on the market when I was posting that. silly me

fashionpress
Attached Images
File Type: jpg top.jpg (62.1 KB, 1 views)

Let the stars decide
16-05-2011
El Viaje Definitivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by softgrey View Post
in a recent interview yohji said that he always had RULES for himself as a designer...
but now had decided that there are NO RULES...
and he can do anything...whatever he wants...

i really really really want to know what those rules have been...

he mentioned in another interview there are two new projects waiting to be announced later this year.
I **guess there is a possibility it has something to do with the projects that might include some unexpected/surprise element. for example, something like diving into a new market for him, which he would not have done earlier. where nobody knows him ? something by which you can see what the old rules had been ? I don't know. but one thing for sure apart from those projects is not writing a novel. he wanted to be what ango sakaguchi had been. but he thought he was not able to do it like ango had done it. so he has been expressing it through fashion design. even if there were publishers who encouraged him, he as a designer used to have to decline the offer. the novel is to be published by iwanami next year.
also a book his artwork-related by some italian publishing company sooner or later.

Let the stars decide
16-05-2011
El Viaje Definitivo

just thought this belongs in this thread too.

the 25th so-en award winning work from 1969
(we have a thread for the so-en awards if anyone is interested)

bunka.ac.jp
Attached Images
File Type: jpg showImage.jpg (69.0 KB, 9 views)

Let the stars decide
16-05-2011
arndom

Wow, (short skirt!), thank you Runner for the picture!

Softgrey, I think he said sth like that in an interview with SHOWstudio.
In short, he has many taboos, like he would never do high heels or bring traditional japanese fashions to his works. But now he feels that he can do anything, there is no taboo anymore, so he feels stronger.

The interview is here: http://showstudio.com/project/in_conversation

Last edited by nqth; 16-05-2011 at 11:59 AM.
18-05-2011
V.I.P.

this morning on wwd.

Quote:

Yohji Yamamoto
Photo By Courtesy Photo

Yohji Yamamoto
Photo By: Courtesy Photo
Launch Slideshow 4 images

As a buildup to his 10-year anniversary with Adidas, Yohji Yamamoto has stripped down the way he works in a new documentary.

Compelling as it is to see how closely the designer examines the drape of his designs and how he crouches on the floor to review rows of models’ head shots, the film’s most poignant moments happen when Yamamoto simply stands in front of the camera, speaking about his life and ideology. The opening scene makes clear that the movie will delve deeper than branding. “I’m an epicurean. I’m an anarchist. I hate power,” said Yamamoto.

Produced by Harbor Film Co., “Yohji Yamamoto: This Is My Dream” tracks the designer from Tokyo to Manhattan in the monthlong lead-up to a Y-3 runway show during New York Fashion Week. Although the 30-minute documentary is a brand building tool, Yamamoto’s commitment to the design process is unquestionable, and he is surprisingly candid at times about all sorts of topics, especially about himself. The son of a war widow, who grew up in Tokyo after the bombs, Yamamoto lays bare his predilection for conflict, darkness — beyond his fondness for the color black — and how, at the age of five or six, he realized that life would be very hard. There is also mention of how school-age hopes of being a painter were shelved for law school to please his mother. She was later “so mad” when, nearing graduation, he asked her about working in her dress shop. But she told him to first learn how to cut clothes so that the other craftspeople would accept him, which of course he did with abandon.

That setup might also explain his view of himself. “I’m a simple dressmaker. I’m not a fashion designer. I’m not following the trend. I’m not checking the merchandise. I’m not checking what is selling good,” he says in the film. “I’m not interested in fashion generally. I’m just interested in how to cut clothes.”

Yamamoto owns up to being his own worst critic. “I have my own judge in me. He is always judging me,” and the verdict is, “You’re guilty.”

The candor is heavy at times, but a more playful spirit surfaces when he is seen strumming a guitar and singing off-key about waking up in New York City. Athletic-minded as Adidas is, the company did not stop Yamamoto from being shown smoking throughout the film.

Yamamoto seems to be more open to self reflection. His autobiography, “My Dear Bomb,” which is already out in Europe, will be distributed in the U.S. next month by D.A.P. His documentary is making the rounds at film festivals, and it will be shown at Adidas-organized screenings, including two in New York tonight at the TriBeCa Grand Hotel.

Popular as the Y-3 collection is in the U.S., Europe and Asia, Adidas prefers to maintain it as a niche brand, positioned between high fashion and sportswear. Dirk Schoenberger, creative director of Adidas’ Sport Style division, said, “Even after 10 years of collaboration, Y-3 is still the only brand in that category, so we have to grow it wisely. Being too aggressive with retail development might be harmful to the image of the brand. We recently opened our first flagship in London and are looking into further locations in Europe as well as the U.S.”

With plans to introduce Y-3 eyewear and hopefully fragrance down the road, Adidas has extended Yamamoto’s contract from 2013 to 2015.

During an interview in New York earlier this month, Adidas senior vice president Rolf Reinschmidt reinforced how the company prizes its association with Yamamoto. Raising a hand high, he said, “Yohji is up here. We want to keep him there.”

11-07-2011
El Viaje Definitivo

sarah moon S/S 98
max vadukul F/W 84
inez van lamsweerde & vinoodh matadin S/S 98
nick knight F/W 87
nick knight F/W 87
paolo roversi F/W 85
sarah moon F/W 96

courtesy fashionjp
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yy1 2.JPG (21.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg yy2.JPG (32.0 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg yy3.JPG (28.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg yy4.JPG (9.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg yy5.JPG (19.9 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg yy6.JPG (11.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg yy7.JPG (14.9 KB, 6 views)

Let the stars decide
15-07-2011
El Viaje Definitivo

S/S 95

smrj.go.jp
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yy.JPG (13.8 KB, 6 views)

Let the stars decide

Last edited by runner; 15-07-2011 at 01:55 AM.
15-07-2011
El Viaje Definitivo

some postcards, catalogs from S/S 93 and F/W 95, etc are available right now if you collectors are interested

http://www.natsume-books.com/list_ph...56a333c1ef8bae

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 26856.jpg (48.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 26857.jpg (25.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 26860.jpg (40.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 26859.jpg (78.9 KB, 6 views)

Let the stars decide

Last edited by runner; 15-07-2011 at 02:04 AM.
19-07-2011

i love the blk and wht image of his signature with all the price stickers...
hmmmm...
that gives me an idea...

thx runner...

19-07-2011

this short clip from the Y-3 documentary is most excellent...

http://thisismydreamthefilm.com/main/

short accompanying interview on nowness.com

Quote:
Y-3: Yamamoto’s Dream

A Film Explores the Enigmatic Designer's Game-Changing Collaboration With Adidas

Honored by everyone from the CFDA to the French government, the radically innovative designer Yohji Yamamoto has challenged our perceptions of fashion since his debut collection in 1977 with his play on proportion, androgyny and asymmetry. To coincide with the ten-year anniversary of Y-3, the cutting-edge collaboration between Yamamoto and Adidas—for which football legend Zinedine Zidane is brand ambassador—today we present the trailer for the documentary Yohji Yamamoto: This is My Dream. The Japanese virtuoso, a man shrouded in mystery, invited director Theo Stanley to shadow him for several months as he readied the performance-based Y-3’s spring/summer 2010 collection. "Yohji operates at the center of his constructed world, an environment that has been severely reduced to quiet any visual disturbances that would distract from his vision," recalls Stanley. "His conceptual drive and dedication to both aesthetics and craft enable him to be always reaching forward." Yamamoto spoke exclusively to NOWNESS about his long-standing partnership with Adidas.
How would you describe Y-3 as a collaborative project?
Distant DNA got married and had a successful baby. You have to [treat] Y-3 [like it is] an independent human. In that way the brand already has its own character.

How does the collaborative process between you and Adidas work?
Adidas is a very personal inspiration to me. It has enriched my creative life. Both teams are in constant contact and communicate continuously. There are many meetings to develop the collection together. It's an important exchange between different cultures and different ideas.
Do your catwalk collections inspire Y3, and vice versa?
Both sides are a totally free and creative process, the two worlds are parallel.

How did you find the experience of being shadowed by the documentary team?
They have been very respectful and non-intrusive––I hardly noticed that they were around!

Last edited by softgrey; 19-07-2011 at 10:50 PM.
07-09-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by runner View Post
he mentioned in another interview there are two new projects waiting to be announced later this year.
I **guess there is a possibility it has something to do with the projects that might include some unexpected/surprise element. for example, something like diving into a new market for him, which he would not have done earlier. where nobody knows him ? something by which you can see what the old rules had been ? I don't know. but one thing for sure apart from those projects is not writing a novel. he wanted to be what ango sakaguchi had been. but he thought he was not able to do it like ango had done it. so he has been expressing it through fashion design. even if there were publishers who encouraged him, he as a designer used to have to decline the offer. the novel is to be published by iwanami next year.
also a book his artwork-related by some italian publishing company sooner or later.
came here to find this since runner mentioned it in the new syte.com thread...
ok- so now we know that s'yte.com is the first project...
the web only t-shirt line...

i think he could and should to some sort of t-shirt line actually...
with all different assymetrical and cool designs like what he is already doing in the mainline and has done for years in all the collections...
and there could be tunics and dresses as well...
seems like it wouldn't be too difficult to create something that was still in the yohji vernacular but would be easier for a new customer to relate to and wear with their existing wardrobe...

i feel like they are already doing more t shirts and knit tops in the Y's collections...

they could easily shift this into a whole new business...imo...

anyway---
that's what i think...

still waiting to see what the other project is going to be...
hope it's a bit more exciting, frankly...

Last edited by softgrey; 07-09-2011 at 08:09 PM.
20-09-2011

just came here to say...i love yohji...

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
yohji