How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

15-01-2012
flaunt the imperfection..

runner---
what is that last pic?
who is that with yohji?...

i believe this spring 1990 collection was dedicated to choreographer pina bausch...

Campaign: Yohji Yamamoto
Season: Spring 1990
Photographer: Nick Knight

Last edited by softgrey; 15-01-2012 at 11:51 PM.

16-01-2012

photo by sarah moon
liquidnight.tumblr.com

18-01-2012
El Viaje Definitivo

I guess it's some y's campaign.
(as we know, yohji does karate and used to do it rather seriously. at one time, the ground floor of the YY inc building was used as a dojo (a hall where karate is practiced). and somewhere there should also be some images of him performing karate kata naked to the waist.)
I'm not sure who it is with him, but it looks like shohei otsuka, limi's husband, ceo of the company now.

thank you for the images softgrey
don't you have some clippings from pina bausch/yohji editorial series?

reminds me of "shakespeare the sonnets (presented last fall)". the costumes are yohji yamamoto.

nntt.jac.go.jp
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20003789_1.jpg (34.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg ki_20003837_1.jpg (13.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg dance_1112a.jpg (83.6 KB, 4 views)

Let the stars decide
20-01-2012

thank you for explaining

i do have some clippings- yes!...
**the first way i found out about pina bausch was through you, runner...
and now i just went to see the wim wenders film about her and her dance company...
:p

those images from the shakespeare performance are amazing...
some of the clothes that didn't make complete sense on the runway make perfect sense in the context of a theatre performance...

i didn't manage to get anything from yohji from this fall collection...
there was a dress that i had my eye on......

28-04-2012
Mr. Magic

Surface May/June 2012

ebookee.org

(IT'S GOING DOWN
)
MENS Runway Model Showlists - Mens RTW S/S 2015
28-04-2012
V.I.P.

"You should feel like you're on Yohji Street and this is what life would be like if everyone wore Yohji for a day."

^Haha, love this description of that exhibition in Isreal. Sounds like fun.

Is the article really only 1 page long although it's the cover story? Too bad. But thanks for posting, Flashbang

01-05-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Yohji Turns Director
Ella Alexander 01 May 2012 0 comments

YOHJI YAMAMOTO is following in the footsteps of Tom Ford and creating his first feature film. The designer, who will direct the project, has already commissioned a scriptwriter and plans to have the film completed in the next two years.

"It's very secret," he said during a talk at Hyères International Festival of Fashion and Photography last weekend.

Although Yamamoto appeared as the subject of fashion documentary This Is My Dream, which was released last year, his directorial debut will not focus on himself. The designer also added that he doesn't like creating film costumes.

"I don't want to kill the characters of the actors and actresses with my ego," Yamamoto told WWD. "[Costume designers] have to know which fashions and which trends were running at which time, so their knowledge of past clothing is sometimes better than ours."
http://www.vogue.co.uk/news/2012/05/...t-feature-film

Sounds exciting!

01-05-2012
V.I.P.

^ I know.. his pieces always seem to have such a narrative about it.. and I love his interest for working men of different eras and the pictures he collects (seen on Notes on Cities and Clothes), I can't wait to see the result of this.. and ouch at the ego comment, Ford.

Yohji Yamamoto to Direct First Feature Film
By Katya Foreman <http://www.wwd.com/wwd-masthead/katya-foreman-5283122>
http://www.wwd.com/fashion-news/fash...Section=issues <javascript:void(0);>
HYERES, France — Yohji Yamamoto is working on his first feature film.

The designer spoke of this and other new ventures during a discussion on fashion and cinema with French director Christophe Honoré at the Hyères International Festival of Fashion and Photography.

“I’ll do music. I’ll do painting. Then, finally, I’ll do film,” Yamamoto told WWD when asked what future projects he was working on.

He will don the director’s cap for the movie, which he said is not based on himself. Yamamoto has commissioned somebody to write the script and expects to have the film wrapped up in two years at the earliest. “It’s very secret,” he said.

During the discussion, the designer, whose creations have featured in a handful of films, including the Takeshi Kitano-helmed “Dolls,” told the audience that he does not like creating clothes for the cinema.

“I don’t want to kill the characters of the actors and actresses with my ego,” said Yamamoto, for whom fashion and costume design are distinct professions. “[Costume designers] have to know which fashions and which trends were running at which time, so their knowledge of past clothing is sometimes better than ours.”

But he still finds the work of certain costume designers hard on the eyes. “Have you ever experienced after starting to watch a movie that because of the ugly costumes, you cannot keep on watching? Have you ever experienced that? I have a lot. So in that respect costume [design] is very important,” said Yamamoto.

The designer also mentioned director Wim Wenders, whom he sees as a brother, describing the personal struggle he went through when Wenders asked him to design 500 costumes for his film “Until the End of the World” in the early Nineties. “From the beginning I was tired.…I had to create everything, even very normal jackets and suits to try to make it not look too much Yohji Yamamoto, I really suffered from the beginning,” he said. “It was a moment when [Wenders] had made a big hit, ‘Wings of Desire,’ and many sponsors wanted to pay for his new movie, so he was very rich and he could ask me to make 500 outfits.

“He came to Tokyo one day.…He asked me to pick him up from his hotel and while we were driving along in the car he started talking to me. ‘Yohji, maybe you sometimes have a job and [you realize] that this is a mistake, but you have to finish it’.…I was driving and was, like, ‘Oh yes, I do,’” smiled the designer, before pausing to add, “Sometimes rich movies make mistakes.”

wwd.com

01-05-2012
chaos reigns

You beat me to it!

This is gonna be MAJOR!

Stitch:the Hand

oh this will be much more up my cinematic alley. citing wim wenders who i know is one of yohji's personal heroes(along with gainsbourg,delightfully)....so say no more.

i agree with him about ego and i'm not sure if he was referencing tom specifically,but you'd have to surmise that he was since tom is one of the only designer filmmakers. anyway,unfortunately it was because of he that i couldn't seem to get into 'a single man'.....it was terribly contriving to have sit through that.

Last edited by Scott; 01-05-2012 at 10:58 PM.
03-05-2012

Quote:
“Have you ever experienced after starting to watch a movie that because of the ugly costumes, you cannot keep on watching? Have you ever experienced that? I have a lot.
yes, i have experienced that, a lot, as well...

09-05-2012
backstage pass

10-05-2012
El Viaje Definitivo

from fashionjp

from left: jean-pierre blanc, terry jones, jules wright, marc ascoli, alan bilzerian, yohji, pascale mussard, olivier saillard, paolo roversi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jury-30-thumb-600x400.jpg (84.0 KB, 15 views)

Let the stars decide
16-05-2012
El Viaje Definitivo

Let the stars decide
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
yohji