How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

21-05-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterlein
He seems a bit jaded and not in a good way. If he really hates the fashion game why does he play it? Issey Miyake doesn't like fashion and he stopped. I don't know how much sincerity is in his words. I feel like he has been given enough praise and has such an inlfated ego that he can bite the hand that feeds him and get away with it. Or in this case applauded for it.
yes he is jaded. to me he is no different than a musician-- an "artist"...his motivations are so similar at the core..i was thinking of how he is like bob dylan. muscians are expected to suffer for their work, and they don't even have to turn out two albums a year!! brian wilson was also a genuis, but he can't even cope, it's what he has to do--create. i can imagine the pressure on someone like this..he's human. also in the film, it showed him looking at his favorite book: a collection of black and white photographs portraying the 20th century man..they were most often of the working class, and he was fascinated by their faces, and what lives they had lead..more so than the clothes. i think it will be a sad day when he stops. issey miyake hasn't stopped..he has 'evolved' into finding processes to make fabric and garments. also ysl eventually stopped because he was a very nervous person, and that eventually lead him to step down.

Last edited by travolta; 21-05-2005 at 02:46 AM.

21-05-2005
V.I.P.

bump

21-05-2005
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by travolta
yes he is jaded. to me he is no different than a musician-- an "artist"...his motivations are so similar at the core..i was thinking of how he is like bob dylan. muscians are expected to suffer for their work, and they don't even have to turn out two albums a year!! brian wilson was also a genuis, but he can't even cope, it's what he has to do--create. i can imagine the pressure on someone like this..he's human. also in the film, it showed him looking at his favorite book: a collection of black and white photographs portraying the 20th century man..they were most often of the working class, and he was fascinated by their faces, and what lives they had lead..more so than the clothes. i think it will be a sad day when he stops. issey miyake hasn't stopped..he has 'evolved' into finding processes to make fabric and garments. also ysl eventually stopped because he was a very nervous person, and that eventually lead him to step down.
Miyake stopped playing the fashion game and what he does now is purely for the results and for the research, he really doesn't profit from what he works on now. I just feel it's awkward to talk about beauty and elegance and have such disdain for a system that he continutes to involve himself with and more to the matter...that he profits from. It would be interesting to see what he would create without industry restraints. Much like the unsellable but beautiful creations from Bless or the hyper-couture costumes from Nick Cave.

I've seen a debate appear with designers and artists who work with clothes. If you have an idea and a concept or something you wish to say with clothing there are two options....there is the art forum where you ignore the fashion game and get far more freedom but FAR less exspoure. So much to the point that saying what you want to say with clothes and garments becomes irrelevant because no one is wearing it. OR working with the fashion system but you must compromise what you have to say. However you have the ability to reach far more peole and your ideas are put in to practice. People actually hear what you have to say.

I prefer the latter because in the end it is what will actually affect people. With that means you must realize the system and acknowledge it for what it is. Fashion has not only given Yohji Yamamoto a venue to say what he needs to say and make beautiful clothes but it has also given him his living. Perhaps it is a bit startling to hear him say that he hates fashion but really...in the regards of how he means it, are their any designers who don't?

21-05-2005
fashion insider

Oi! This interview makes me respect him so, so much. I agree with him on absolutely everything..well, minimalism, I love minimalism..but some minimalism is very 'sloth' as he says.

Yohji

Stitch:the Hand

IMO,the mere term of fashion can conjure up ideals of fascism. And I believe that's what he means when he says he hates fashion. So he's still in the game and that isn't right? I don't believe that he should stop working just because of that. WE NEED designers like him to help change the system....give us a completely different perspective of what "style" and design are. And you're point about art....Yohji isn't art....he's a craftsman in the first right.

21-05-2005
flaunt the imperfection..

thanks for bumping this travolta...
i enjoyed the interview very much....
and thank you mrrene...
wherever you are...

a lot of people who work in fashion also hate it..
but not all-i don't think tom ford hated it...
or john galliano or anna wintour...
some people love it and thrive on it...
those people usually rise to the top...

the people that hate it usually stay on the fringes...
much like yohji has...they are marginalized...
they remain in the shadows...
and truthfully ...
are probably happier there...

rei kawakubo is remarkable because she somehow manages to dance in and out of the shadows...
she doesn't seek the spotlight...
but she also doesn't seem to mind when it shines on her...
it seems like the best of both worlds...
i'd love to be able to do that...

Last edited by softgrey; 21-05-2005 at 11:42 AM.
21-05-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
IMO,the mere term of fashion can conjure up ideals of fascism. And I believe that's what he means when he says he hates fashion. So he's still in the game and that isn't right? I don't believe that he should stop working just because of that. WE NEED designers like him to help change the system....give us a completely different perspective of what "style" and design are. And you're point about art....Yohji isn't art....he's a craftsman in the first right.
yes, scott i agree w/ this first part. but many people can be a craftsman...but there are few that can tap into something deeper, which he has done. a mere craftsmen do not sound nearly as existential as he does, and this explains why so many people regard yohji's contributions highly because he seems to balance both. but it's as he said in his own words in the film, it's a tricky tight rope.

21-05-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
rei kawakubo is remarkable because she somehow manages to dance in and out of the shadows...
i'd love to be able to do that...
ah, you said it soft! some brightness! who is she and how does she do what she does??

21-05-2005
Naturellement pulpeuse

Maybe he has a point but he could be a bit less mystic megg about it - it comes off as quite pretentious. Not to mention that he'd hate being down and out on the streets of Toyko even more, methinks...

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceOfCats
Maybe he has a point but he could be a bit less mystic megg about it - it comes off as quite pretentious. Not to mention that he'd hate being down and out on the streets of Toyko even more, methinks...
don't you think the world would be much more dull without the mystical? i remember he saying that it is what he does..is study people very intently to activate something that is already there...it's much harder than projecting a personal or societal ideal. i guess a less unpretentious name for mystical is human nature? i think it all makes sense really-- what's the point in designing and creating something that someone doesn't need?

21-05-2005
Stitch:the Hand

Excellent points,Softie.

Travolta,yeah I know he's all that--for certain--but in his world craft is probably the most important to him. And not just in basic skills but he utilizes craft to create his wonderous designs. But art I don't really associate Yohji with....I think when comparing with other mediums,Yohji's more a lyricist or poet to me.

21-05-2005
V.I.P.

Quote:
think when comparing with other mediums,Yohji's more a lyricist or poet to me.
ah, yes. i can agree with this

21-05-2005

i thinks he's a lyricist ...yes...

i hear the songs that he sings...

it would seem to me that if one is genuinely a certain way...
and not 'pretending' to be so...
that there is no danger of pretentiousness...

there are actually deeply thoughtful people in the universe...
not only people pretending to be...
i believe that yohji is evidently the 'real thing'...
as evidenced by his body of work...
the clothes speak for themselves (or rather 'sing'......)

nothing pretentious about it...
he's a genius...
and i think he's right...
he has excellent instincts...probably his greatest gift...
he is wise to trust them...

he's awfully humble and 'down to earth' for somene so accomplished...
IMHO...

Last edited by softgrey; 21-05-2005 at 01:33 PM.
21-05-2005
V.I.P.

soft-you gotta check out that movie! i want to know what you think

21-05-2005

i loved what he said about his mother and the pressure of family obligations...
i loved what he said about bringing children into this very difficult life...
and i loved how he talked about duty...and trying to be 'good'...

i think it's amazing that he would share such personal info and i think it really gives some insight into the actual 'person' behind the name...

i have dealt with all those issues in my life...
it's just nice to know you're not the only one...
i love you yohji......

yes travolta...
i would like to see the film sometime...

Last edited by softgrey; 21-05-2005 at 01:55 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
fashion, hate, yamamoto, yohji