How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

01-04-2007
The future is stupid

Yohji Yamamoto on What's Sexy
Yohji Yamamoto on What's Sexy

Japanís elegant king of noir and the creator of Adidasí Y-3 sneakers reflects on the rules of beauty, clothing as armor, and why itís never okay to wear primary colors.

1. I believe that there are three conditions to a womanís beauty. First, you must realize that not all women are beautiful all of the time. Sometimes beauty comes on a subconscious level. When she is in love, or has met someone new and exciting, she shines. Second, you must understand that life is unfair. Beauty is something that, for some, must be worked at. The third condition is luck. Some women can just be lucky.

2. My role in all of this is very simple. I make clothing like armor. My clothing protects you from unwelcome eyes.

3. Color, for me, has too many stories wrapped around it. I like black, white, gray, and navy. Like a uniform.

4. Life is better for beautiful people. You can become lucky if you are beautiful, you can become rich. But there is no truth in this definition of beauty.

5. If you feel strongly about someone, go up to them. Pursue what you want in life. Why be shy about something like that?

6. You can tell what a woman is going to be like in bed just by looking at her. There is a feeling about someone that comes from experience. When youíve seen it once, you will recognize it again.

7. Fashion cannot make you sexy. Experience makes you sexy. Imagination makes people sexy. You have to train yourself, you have to study, and you have to live your life.

8. I love the back. A beautiful back makes a beautiful front. When you slouch, think about what happens to your front. You have to keep your back in the right position. This is where your spirit lies.

9. Menís clothing is about tiny details, and I hate that. I am very small and I look stupid in a perfectly tailored suit. I want to be able to wear things that donít fit perfectly, with the sleeves far too long. I wish clothing came with no sizes at all. It would be much better that way.

10. The biggest mistake you can make in fashion is imitation. If we keep on like this, fashion will die. There was a time when I used to fall in love on the street every day. I would see someone with such a way about them or such a flawless item that I would have to say, ďStop! Please! Thatís perfect.Ē That never happens anymore. Everything is too similar. Soon it will be only a T-shirt and jeans.

11. I donít think we should try to make space our own. I believe that as modern people we should live in mobility. We should always be moving.

mens.style

01-04-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMagAddict
10. The biggest mistake you can make in fashion is imitation. If we keep on like this, fashion will die. There was a time when I used to fall in love on the street every day. I would see someone with such a way about them or such a flawless item that I would have to say, ďStop! Please! Thatís perfect.Ē That never happens anymore. Everything is too similar. Soon it will be only a T-shirt and jeans.

11. I donít think we should try to make space our own. I believe that as modern people we should live in mobility. We should always be moving.

mens.style

I totally agree with these two!

01-04-2007
backstage pass

Quote:
7. Fashion cannot make you sexy. Experience makes you sexy. Imagination makes people sexy. You have to train yourself, you have to study, and you have to live your life.
Amen!

01-04-2007
vertebrae by vertebrae

^ #7 is my fav as well.

01-04-2007
V.I.P.

Wise words. I wonder what Roberto Cavalli would've said? Or Tom Ford?

Meg
inspired contemplation

yes it's so interesting to see how where a person comes from and their design aesthetic reflects their ideals on beauty and vice versa. There is some very poetic stuff in there. I love the idea about the back. The whole articles inspires one to live life as themselves.

02-04-2007
fashion elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg
The whole articles inspires one to live life as themselves.
This is so true.

V.I.P.

Hmm #2... is that why a lot of his clothes are loose?

I think #1 is interesting... how you're not beautiful all the time. Some work at it and some become it when their life changes in a way

02-04-2007
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteLinen
Wise words. I wonder what Roberto Cavalli would've said? Or Tom Ford?
This is so true...

V.I.P.

I like that article a lot...clever man

02-04-2007
fashion icon

oh man..i need #5 alot. im fu_king shy

he knows what he's talking about

haha..yes...he's so anti tom ford

02-04-2007
scenester

Yohji Yamamoto is a wise man.

a hymn to darkness

I've always loved his spirit and unfaltering zest for life.

02-04-2007
V.I.P.

Quote:
I wish clothing came with no sizes at all.

02-04-2007
windowshopping

Now that made alot of sense! *props*

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
sexy, yamamoto, yohji