How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

31-08-2011
flaunt the imperfection

Yohji Yamamoto's new brand "s'yte"
I found this on the YY website...
http://www.yohjiyamamoto.co.jp/#/yy/...esk/2011.8.29/

can anyone tell what it means?

how many brands does this guy have now???...
and why do there need to be so many...?
it's like his own little empire!!!...

01-09-2011
El Viaje Definitivo

Quote:

Yohji Yamamoto Inc has started its new brand “s'yte” on September 1, 2011. Quite experimental for a fashion maison, it is website-only brand.

The name of the brand is “s'yte” (pronounced as “site”).
Its logo was designed by Mr. James Victore, a graphic designer active mainly in New York.

“s'yte” is a Yohji Yamamoto’s casual wear brand that customers can feel closer. It aims through web to casually suit those who have never worn the company’s other brands.

The first lineup has high quality T-shirts sewn by a long-established Japanese workshop; its graphics are designed by Mr. James Victore.

At the moment, delivery of s'yte products is limited to addresses in Japan.

the site here

http://syte.yohjiyamamoto.co.jp

Let the stars decide
01-09-2011
El Viaje Definitivo

images from fashionsnap

Attached Images
File Type: jpg yohji_syte_02-thumb-640x480-59511.jpg (108.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg yohji_syte_01-thumb-640x480-59512.jpg (134.2 KB, 7 views)

Let the stars decide
01-09-2011
flaunt the imperfection

thank you very much runner...for anyone interested in knowing more about the graphic designer collaborating on this project...i found this on their site...'
2011.09.01James Victore

James Victore氏は、ブルックリンを拠点に活動しているグラフィックデザイナーです。
彼の作品はニューヨーク近代美術館に常設展示をされており、Esquire Magazine/Moet Chandon/The New York Times 等を手がけています。

[James Victore氏の紹介]
James Victore氏は世界中に顧客を持つ独立デザインスタジオを経営しています。彼は作家、デザイナー、映画 製作者等、いろいろな顔を持っています。彼は常 に自分の作品をセクシーにかつ力強く、そして人々にとって忘れられないものにしようとし、また聖と俗とを切 り分ける分岐線を引くような作品を発表していま す。彼の表現主義によってデザインされた作品は陶器・サーフボード・看板・スーパーモデルと様々な対象に見 ることができます。最近の作品「part Darth Vader, part Yoda」によって、Victoreはデザインに関する彼の現代的な知性と情熱的な見識を世界に知らしめる ことになりました。彼はその独特な世界観を数多 くの講演、ワークショップ、著作などで表現しています。Jamesの作品はニューヨーク近代美術館(MOM A)をはじめとして、世界中の美術館で常設展示 されています。Bobbi Brown Cosmetics、Esquire Magazine、Moet Chandon, The New York Timesなど世界の一流企業が彼の顧客となっています。彼はまた最近「Victore or, Who Died and Made You Boss?」という著作で自身の作品を発表しています。Victoreはニューヨーク市のSchool of Visual Artsで教鞭をとっています。かれはブルックリンをこよなく愛し、そこで精力的に仕事をこなしていま す。

[Message of James Victore]
James Victore is honored to be working with the great artist team of Yohji Yamamoto Inc. on “s'yte”. This fortunate collaboration has created a series of iconic and powerful T-shirts featuring Victore's bold drawings emblazoned across Yohji's expertly crafted tees.

[Profile of James Victore]
James Victore runs an independent design studio hell-bent on world domination. He is an author, designer, filmmaker and firestarter. He continually strives to make work that is sexy, strong and memorable; work that tows the line between the sacred and the profane. His paintings of expressionist designs can be seen on ceramics, surfboards, billboards and supermodels. Recently described as "part Darth Vader, part Yoda," Victore is widely known for his timely wisdom and impassioned views about design and it's place in the world. He expresses these views and teachings through his numerous lectures, workshops, and writings. James' work has been exhibited at the Museum of Modern Art in New York and is represented in the permanent collections of the museums around the globe. His clients include Bobbi Brown Cosmetics, Esquire Magazine, Moet Chandon and The New York Times. His work was recently published in a monograph titled, "Victore or, Who Died and Made You Boss?" Victore teaches at the School of Visual Arts in NYC. He lives, loves and works in Brooklyn. syte.yohjiyamamoto.co.jp

02-09-2011
tfs star

Isn't it a bit frustrating that all they came up with to attract a totally new audience to the Yohji universe is a bunch of print tees and entry priced wallets we've already seen in similar fashion at CdG?

I would have loved him to do a collection priced similarily to APC in which you would have found some iconic, generic Yohji staples in pure finishing... boy-ish raw denim jeans with that little bit of slouch one expects in a Yohji cut... a half-lined gabardine trench maybe... as well as some variations on the shirt and the knitwear people continuously go to him for...

Thinking about it, I guess that would not make sense as Y's is marketed significantly lower in Japan than elsewhere in the world... And all we got in other parts of the world was that terrible contemporary line COMING SOON that was a huge fail, from the fabrication to the finish and the fabrics... I would be surprised if they still continued that, it just didn't look good for what it was.

02-09-2011
Hell on Heels

Am I the only one who can't access the site? :|

02-09-2011
flaunt the imperfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricotineacetat View Post
Isn't it a bit frustrating that all they came up with to attract a totally new audience to the Yohji universe is a bunch of print tees and entry priced wallets we've already seen in similar fashion at CdG?

I would have loved him to do a collection priced similarily to APC in which you would have found some iconic, generic Yohji staples in pure finishing... boy-ish raw denim jeans with that little bit of slouch one expects in a Yohji cut... a half-lined gabardine trench maybe... as well as some variations on the shirt and the knitwear people continuously go to him for...

Thinking about it, I guess that would not make sense as Y's is marketed significantly lower in Japan than elsewhere in the world... And all we got in other parts of the world was that terrible contemporary line COMING SOON that was a huge fail, from the fabrication to the finish and the fabrics... I would be surprised if they still continued that, it just didn't look good for what it was.
i know...but maybe it will expand?
it's hard to have a brand that is online only and have it take off in a significant way...
makes sense to have it in japan only first though where i assume that yohji is more well known than say- the US...

i am pretty curious about this funny guy who's doing the graphics...
it seems like an odd collaboration on the surface...
but then---so did yohji and adidas at first---and look how well that worked...

i have to agree though that coming soon was generally not very interesting...
the menswear was better than the womens---but still...
not especially covetable...

i do wish that Y's was a bit more accessibly priced and more widely available...
i think that would be the best thing overall...
rather than starting a bunch of new projects...

i am wondering about the sizing and fit and quality of the t-shirts...
i checked the sizing chart...but i really can't tell anything from that...

mistress---the link works ok for me?

06-09-2011
flaunt the imperfection

the more i think about it...
the more frustrated i have become with this t-shirt project...

07-09-2011
El Viaje Definitivo

so here we just got to find out one of his old rules anyway.
it should have been something like never embark on an online graphic t-shirts business, no matter how it looks sweet and easy, if you call yourself a dressmaker.
but seriously YY inc is no more able to be working at the discretion of yohji.

as it was written in the yohji thread, there is the other new project to be announced within this year.
hope that is the one worth their try creation-wise.

Let the stars decide
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
brand, syte, yamamoto, yohji