How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

14-05-2008
V.I.P.

every picture in post 3 is staggering...the veil, the dress, even the composition of the photograph's but most of all the way Yohji is intently observing his "work". he is studying what could be better, perhaps, as most artists often do...

14-05-2008
front row

Does anyone know where I can find more pictures from this collection? I'm trying to find a few more pictures of the mens.

V.I.P.

can u yohji fans tell me ,

does yohji yamamoto usually have a 'concept' behinds his collections
especially something he talks about
to the press or interviewers or other
--think back to the earliest you can remember ...

i'm reading something about his main line for fall 08
but also it's nothing said
rather it's as if they say one thing lead to another...
the hermes, the portfolio bags, the leather
then came the idea of horses ... ragged edges.. belts/reigns.. and then sparks of fresh colour

15-05-2008
V.I.P.

good question gius...

15-05-2008
flaunt the imperfection..

gius-

all the well-known japanese designers are notorious for not speaking much about their ideas and their work...
it seems they think it odd that european designers want to talk extensively about their designs...maybe they find it a bit pretentious???
but the japanese seem to like the work to speak for itself...

very few words are spoken...if any...

15-05-2008
V.I.P.

maybe he met a horse he liked...or felt like a warrior in this climate of our times? I guess only Yohji knows for sure.

16-05-2008
botanizing on the asphalt

beautiful show and venue. but, as others have mentioned, it looks so much like an extension of the mainline--i wonder if Y's will be taking a different direction now that we have Coming Soon?

V.I.P.

thanks guys for the response

i guess also if you know what the idea is , you don't get your own interpretation of it. something personal
or can't appreciate the clothes as just clothes itself..

i felt rei kawakubo often speaks of concepts though
and issey miyake seems to be more about material
anyway ~ :p

21-05-2008
El Viaje Definitivo

softgrey, yes some pieces are from the main line,
(I noticed another octopus here, maybe the other half of the all black one)

tricotineacetat, did you say to sales people at YY inc that you are not content with what they are doing now?
and what you expect from them?
I'm sure this is not yet a case of the passage about an old man like...things were better in my young days...but the thing that was better is his curiosity.
but almost every time a new Y's thread is started, you are only in nostalgia moments.
I cannot help but thinking that's a sad thing.
although it's very nice to know how much you are fond of Y's under nagano.

laika, I felf as if it had implied that there is a possibility they integrate the two lines in the future, just like it was in the beginning, especially thinking about his retirement.
I don't know
but at least a fact they showed some pieces from YY femme, under the name of Y's this time round, even if it's a special event.

luckyme, apparently he was inspired by zingaro.
http://www.zingaro.jp/

time.com

gius, he was saying in the interview that now his idea has become so intricated that it is usually very difficult to explain it in words, although there is an absolute image in his head.
it seems that he wanted to be like ango sakaguchi. but he is not that talented in that field. so he is expressing it in clothes.
so you prefer the idea untold?

Let the stars decide

Last edited by runner; 21-05-2008 at 11:45 AM.

21-05-2008
tfs star

Quote:
Originally Posted by runner View Post
tricotineacetat, did you say to sales people at YY inc that you are not content with what they are doing now?
and what you expect from them?
I'm sure this is not yet a case of the passage about an old man like...things were better in my young days...but the thing that was better is his curiosity.
but almost every time a new Y's thread is started, you are only in nostalgia moments.
I cannot help but thinking that's a sad thing.
although it's very nice to know how much you are fond of Y's under nagano.
I wouldn't complain about what's going on at Y's if it was for the fact that they'd show similarily strong collections and pieces as in this Beijing presentation and the last Red Label collection also to their international buyers... as I said before, this was NOT the case for their F/W 08 sales campaign... and yes, I think Y's (not Yohji Yamamoto Femme) had been treated somewhat like a step-child in the last few years - You could tell that there was a group of anonymous designers each contributing bits and pieces, but without a clear focus on what it shall look like as a whole - It shows in the difficulty to merchandise it in terms of looks, fabrics and colours. Certainly that was different when Nagano was head of design at Y's and also now with Michiko Suzuki (was that her name?) doing Y's Red Label - Then again, the collection wasn't entirely finished by the time the Paris sales started, so only bits and pieces of Red Label were hanging next to the regular Y's collection, to me that didn't make for a 'complete' concept in itself.

Not to go too deep into their company politics, but a lot of things have changed at Yohji Yamamoto Inc. over the course of the last few years - Their Paris branch was closed and there is an Italian agent involved in the whole marketing process of the company (insuccessfully at that, trying to launch a Y's Pre-Collection for S/S 2008, but discontinuing after only one season). It was also around that time that people like Nagano and the former CEO of the company left to pursue other projects (the former starting his own line and the latter taking on a similar position as CEO of Rue Du Mail).

Coming Soon probably has to be the least convincing addition to the Yohji universe, it simply doesn't work the same way as with McQueen, Moschino Cheap & Chic or See by Chlo to do a Yohji collection with cheap entry price materials. It only resulted in Y's pricing going steadily upwards, but without further refining the product.

Other than that, I still regard Yohji's own design for the Femme line to be of outstanding imagination, the last show and the pieces I could see in the showroom were all breathtakingly beautiful in the cutting... just crazy expensive as usual.

21-05-2008
fashion elite

hmmm i love the pull over on the 2nd pic of the 1st post

22-05-2008
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by runner View Post
gius, he was saying in the interview that now his idea has become so intricated that it is usually very difficult to explain it in words, although there is an absolute image in his head.
it seems that he wanted to be like ango sakaguchi. but he is not that talented in that field. so he is expressing it in clothes.
so you prefer the idea untold?
actually i really like talking about ideas
it's interesting to hear how a person develops a design
creating silhouette, choosing specific details (like the belt straps)
i think it helps my own work too to hear about this.

it's great he looks up to a writer
then his ideas must be quite abstract
i was looking at some information on sakaguchi... seems like he is a bit of a philosopher or analyst too.
something poetic ...

23-05-2008
front row

i love it

fashion icon

surprisingly, i like it too

17-06-2008
El Viaje Definitivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casius View Post
Does anyone know where I can find more pictures from this collection? I'm trying to find a few more pictures of the mens.
there are some more pics here.
http://www.cnga.org.cn/engl/News/Vie...5999&Typeid=64
http://www.cnga.org.cn/engl/News/Vie...5984&Typeid=64
http://www.cnga.org.cn/engl/News/Vie...6000&Typeid=64
http://www.cnga.org.cn/engl/News/View.asp?NewsID=16001

also from jp1.chinabroadcast.cn
(the last look is womens of course)

Let the stars decide

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
0809, beijing, f or w, yamamoto, yohji