How to Join
the Fashion Spot / Front Row / Designers and Collections
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

13-02-2007
fashion elite

BTW Ianastar, I didn't ignore your suggestion about Photobucket. I've signed up for an account. Just as soon as I run out of fashionspot space, I'll switch over—thanks again for the suggestion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianastar
I read recently that when Tom Ford took over Gucci, that his first two lines were completely inspired by designs of YSL from the 70s. The black and white pant suits, and the exposed chest etc. And that eventually he ran the gamut of YSL's designs, reinterpreted and modernized for Gucci.

Now that Ive read that, I can totally see it.

However, while Tom Ford was at YSL, I think he kind of flopped a little.

14-02-2007
fashion elite

I just read that YSL's couture house/design studio in Paris is now a museum and was open to the public.

Does anyone know if its still open. Im going to Paris next year, and would LOVE to go.

14-02-2007
fashion elite

This is the website for the foundation:

http://www.ysl-hautecouture.com/

It has hours, current exhibitions, directions, etc. Hope this helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianastar
I just read that YSL's couture house/design studio in Paris is now a museum and was open to the public.

Does anyone know if its still open. Im going to Paris next year, and would LOVE to go.

19-02-2007
fashion elite

SMOKING FOREVER (past exhibition at Foundation YSL)

(source: ysl-hautecouture.com)

The appearance of Yves Saint Laurent's first smoking in a haute couture collection in 1966 was a revolution. For in this way an article of male apparel was to become the symbol of female emancipation.

From 1966 until 2002, when Yves Saint Laurent bid farewell to haute couture, the famous black garment, now androgynous, would feature in collection after collection in a multitude of forms: dress, jumpsuit, bolero...

The Smoking Forever exhibition related this long story in a space transformed into a giant chessboard, synonymous with strategy and power struggles. Nearly fifty models plunge us into a universe dominated by the couturier's favourite colour, black. Yves Saint Laurent transformed woman into a queen who, in her smoking, dares to check the king.
Attached Images
File Type: png ExpoSmoking.png (161.2 KB, 13 views)

19-02-2007
fashion elite

SCREENCAPS OF EXHIBITION PHOTOS (ysl-hautecouture.com)

Last edited by tylw; 21-02-2007 at 04:05 AM.
19-02-2007
fashion elite

ibid...

Last edited by tylw; 21-02-2007 at 04:04 AM.
19-02-2007
fashion elite

more ibid...

Last edited by tylw; 21-02-2007 at 04:04 AM.
19-02-2007
fashion elite

WELL-TEMPERED SMOKING BY PIERRE BERGE

(ysl-hautecouture.com)

The world is filled with talented creators and the 20th century has had more than its share, but if Chanel and Saint Laurent are the two most important, it is precisely because transcending their craft they worked on the very weft of society.

If Haute Couture has more or less disappeared, it is because it existed alongside an art de vivre that is no more. All other explanations (costs, delivery dates, ready-to-wear, etc.) are quite unfounded. Fashion is a social phenomenon aimed at the widest possible audience. It must reflect life and not a fantasy world. This is Yves Saint Laurent's rule, forged through rigour and excellence, the rule to which he has remained faithful throughout his career. Of course we know that woman is man’s equal, but, since Saint Laurent, we know it better. Shared power, shared apparel. Perhaps it is not really a coincidence that Saint Laurent’s work has for years accompanied what is known as women’s liberation.

Today’s exhibition presents Yves Saint Laurent’s work around le smoking. Always the same and yet never the same. Etudes and scales for a well-tempered smoking. For nearly forty years, he constantly and obsessively worked and reworked his creation. His imagination and his determination to assert his legitimacy over a garment he created, and which was to conquer the world, has given rise to several dozen smokings. Presented face to face, the first (1966) and the last (2002) bear witness, as if it were needed, to the permanence of a work that was to radically change its times.

19-02-2007
fashion elite

VOYAGES EXTRAORDINAIRES (exhibit at Foundation YSL)

The armchair traveler by Pierre Berge

Yves Saint Laurent was born in Oran. Hence, from childhood onwards, he was exposed to the culture, light, and colours of a country very different from France and Europe. It was only natural for him to explore the rest of the world. Like Xavier de Maistre in his book Voyage autour de ma chambre and Pierre Mac Orlan in his Petit Manuel du parfait aventurier, Yves Saint Laurent travelled the roads of the imagination.

This armchair traveler had the genius for grasping the essential and rendering it accessible. It is hardly astonishing, then, that the bougainvilleas of the Majorelle gardens should have wound their way around couture capes, or Natasha Rostov’s wedding gowns encountered the kimonos of the Empress T’seu-Hi. No more astonishing that Lady Mountbatten’s saris frequent Carmen’s boleros or that echoes of the Queen of Sheba reach our ears from the depths of Africa.

Yves Saint Laurent’s strength was to tame these different cultures and create modern clothing. Far from any exotic bric-a-brac he has been once again the observer and the inventor of his times.

Attached Images
File Type: png yslvoyage1.png (161.6 KB, 5 views)

19-02-2007
fashion elite

Catalogue Preface

What is creation?
By Erik Orsenna of the French Academy

What is a dress?
A piece of fabric that protects a woman’s body from the gaze of others or from the cold.

What is a Saint Laurent dress?
A exclamation, the gateway to a kingdom, a dance tune, a distance too, keeping itself to itself at first, a spirit of independence.

What is a smock?
A loose-fitting coarse canvas shirt, a work garment.

What is a Saint Laurent smock?
Softness, a perfume, a veiled allusion, a window for the skin.

What is a tuxedo?
A formal garment worn by men when a suit is not appropriate.

What is a Saint Laurent tuxedo?
A fleeting dwelling place for a woman, her insolence, her resolve never to let herself be taken in.

What is a safari suit?
A short-sleeved, belted canvas jacket of military origin.

What is a Saint Laurent safari suit?
A model for women out for a stroll. Feel like an urban safari? Then follow me, young man.

Remember the game we used to play as children. You had to join a series of numbers with pencil strokes: 1 to 2 to 3, and so on. And gradually, from the blank page of Tintin, Mickey or Spirou magazine, a face would emerge.

I have never forgotten this game which I so enjoyed. And often, just as in those days, I start a new game. Close your eyes and remember. Search your memory for the gowns, smocks, tuxedos, and safari suits. Move from one to the next. And little by little, just like in the game, a miracle is born: a miracle we might call a woman’s liberty.

From year to year, this liberty is extended. It crosses borders, leaps over iron curtains, mighty walls, stretches of sea, and mountain barriers. The entire planet becomes an adventure ground.

To pay my respects to Monsieur Saint Laurent, I consulted my bible, my very own Koran, the dictionary. Couturier, in French, does not simply denote the person who directs a couture house, but also, a muscle. To be more precise the sartorial muscle that flexes the leg. In other words, one of the main muscles of movement.

What is travel?
Being receptive.

What is creation?
Recreating.

That young man called Saint Laurent annexes legends, combines periods, weaves with the ages. Roads cross: linen, wool, silk, pearls, feathers. Such a feeling of gaiety takes possession of the fabrics that the colours overflow: they become perfumes and couture shows become exotic spice stalls.

Childhood, always childhood I remember, as a small child, champing at the bit before a new Herge album came out. I didn’t wonder what story he was going to tell me, but where he was going to take me. When I became an adolescent, my question did not change: what country is Monsieur Saint Laurent taking us to this time? First of all to India, to celebrate my fifteenth birthday. For several months, I believed myself condemned to the sad career of banking. How otherwise would I find the money to buy that Maharaja dress for my future wife?

Then Africa. I trembled. If women dress in leopard print, then we should surely fear their cruelty. A delicious sense of terror, confirmed later on with the appearance of women who seemed quite at home in a toreador suit.

Ah, Russia, in 1976. It was no longer just Nathalie walking on the Red Square, but a fur hat and a beaver-lined suede coat opening onto a voluminous skirt.

The following year, China. Certain of my friends, against all better judgment, were wasting their efforts on Maoism. I dreamt only of the pagoda dress.

And then, and forever, North Africa, the bougainvillea capes, the jeliabas. Visits to the Louvre take on quite a different attraction when you know that on certain evenings the women of Algiers come down from Delacroix’s pictures.

Where is the mystery? wrote Victor Segalen in 1917, where are the distances? Variety is diminishing. This is the world’s greatest danger. This is the decline we must fight against, struggle and perhaps dies with beauty.

Thank you, Monsieur Saint Laurent, from the bottom of my heart, thank you. Nobody has fought better against this decline then you. Variety is liberty’s other name.

19-02-2007
fashion elite

EXHIBITION IMAGES (ysl-hautecouture.com)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg yslvoyage2.jpg (46.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg yslvoyage3.jpg (47.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg yslvoyage4.jpg (43.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg yslvoyage5.jpg (78.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg yslvoyage6.jpg (22.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg yslvoyage7.jpg (21.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg yslvoyage8.jpg (67.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg yslvoyage9.jpg (30.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg yslvoyage10.jpg (325.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg yslvoyage11.jpg (20.1 KB, 0 views)

19-02-2007
fashion elite

ibid...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg yslvoyage12.jpg (25.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg yslvoyage13.jpg (19.6 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg yslvoyage14.jpg (23.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg yslvoyage15.jpg (258.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg yslvoyage16.jpg (32.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg yslvoyage17.jpg (182.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg yslvoyage18.jpg (26.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg yslvoyage19.jpg (71.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg yslvoyage20.jpg (45.3 KB, 1 views)

19-02-2007
taz
MUSE

thanks tylw for the post
I visited Yves "Voyages Extraordinaires" at 5 avenue Marcue last Nov., ...the clothes are so gorgeous..truly work of art I couldn't resist my self from touching one dresses with Lessage motifs on it this is wrong i know but somthing mgical forced me to do so....love the setting, clothes & the gift shop-which is a new addition...you should go there if you havent yet -open till 15 April...check the pic of the opening gala & the exhbition on :
http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums...l-30195-8.html

Last edited by taz; 19-02-2007 at 12:15 PM.
21-02-2007
fashion elite

Thank you Taz—I had already seen your wonderful photos (they inspired me to post the official exhibition pix). I love that every exhibition theme also coincides with his greatest hits—mark of a true master!

Unfortunately, I am stuck in Ohio! Ah, Paris, land where I got a vintage YSL dress for $5.

I know what you mean about YSL's magnetism. I remember once being in a thrift shop, reaching into a sea of black skirts, and plucking out two velvet YSL's without any hesitation. It was kismet, like my hand drawn into a black hole.

Were there any catalogues available?

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz
thanks tylw for the post
I visited Yves "Voyages Extraordinaires" at 5 avenue Marcue last Nov., ...the clothes are so gorgeous..truly work of art I couldn't resist my self from touching one dresses with Lessage motifs on it this is wrong i know but somthing mgical forced me to do so....love the setting, clothes & the gift shop-which is a new addition...you should go there if you havent yet -open till 15 April...check the pic of the opening gala & the exhbition on :
http://www.thefashionspot.com/forums...l-30195-8.html

21-02-2007
fashion elite

Gonna erase and re-load the smoking photos (didn't realize screencaps were such large files)

(all photos: ysl-hautecouture.com)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg yslsmoking1.jpg (17.0 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg yslsmoking2.jpg (58.3 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg yslsmoking3.jpg (56.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg yslsmoking4.jpg (55.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg yslsmoking5.jpg (99.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg yslsmoking6.jpg (69.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg yslsmoking7.jpg (67.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg yslsmoking8.jpg (72.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg yslsmoking9.jpg (75.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg yslsmoking10.jpg (63.7 KB, 0 views)

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
laurent, multimedia, saint, ysl, yves