How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Art of Noise
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

15-06-2006
flaunt the imperfection

Afi
what is up with this band?..

miss murder...

15-06-2006
backstage pass

been around for a while i believe; will probably blow up with Miss Murder though. it is a good song, plus he has a good voice.
dont know but the vid has a Nazi vibe to it, maybe it is just me.:p

15-06-2006
trendsetter

Love em. And they have been around for..... 15 years now? Their new cd isnt to great but my favorite will always be Black Sails. Such a great cd.

Dorien, I also felt like he was trying to be Hitler! It's insane video but such a weak song. YUCK, i hated it.

15-06-2006
fashion elite

Miss Murder is alright, it's become very mainstream....Goth on MTV.

15-06-2006
princely

They've been around for 15 years? Wow how old are they?

Well I guess you learn something new everyday. I dont like them, I find them to be MTV goth as someone said before, and definetly not my style of music, but I first took notice of them a few years ago when with their last album.

15-06-2006
tfs star

Yeah, the lead singer scares me.

15-06-2006
scenester

I recently saw them live at a festival..and I gotta say, I was very very impressed. I wasn't expecting to like them much; I went to the festival to see The Strokes and AFI just happened to be the main act along with them. Wow..I was blown away. Davey (the lead vocals) has an incredible voice and the guys were very energetic and passionate. My eyes were opened to a very good band

15-06-2006
flaunt the imperfection

what does AFI stand for???...

15-06-2006
princely

I always thought it meant "A Fire Inside"
dont quote me on that though..

15-06-2006
trendsetter

^ it does stand for A Fire Inside.
I could not describe their style of music because it always chances. For example at first they had a punk thing going on, then a hardcore going on, then their style changed to more goth, and now its just pop in my opinion. They have great influence though, and i stand behind them for everything they do. Despite this new cd was a dissapointment, i still love everything they have created before.
If you guys want some good music, try any song from Black Sails in the Sunset or also anything from The Art Of Drowning.

I get to see them in Warp Tour, wich is a also a let down since warp tour is full of your stupid mainstream bands that are just no good. So I am just going to have to stay in the sun for hours just to see my band hahahaa.

15-06-2006
windowshopping

I have always loved there album Sing the Sorrow. I think Girl's Not Grey has been there most popular song to date, and also one of my favorites..

15-06-2006
trendsetter

Girls Not Grey was a great single. It was radio friendly but also still had their style, but the new Miss Murder single, well, it sounds extremely radio friendly, and to me, it sounds a little like Greendays first single of American Idiot.

15-06-2006
front row

Hm, I don't mind Miss Murder but Girls Not Grey was better...I haven't listened to the rest of Decemberunderground yet, though.

16-06-2006
earthbound

I see they're getting bigger and bigger. With the release of "Decemberunderground" (which I've bought just recently) I'm sure they're going to be even more popular with the rock radio stations...

It's amazing how they've become so mainstream (with the help of MTV + Hilary Duff's plug ) yet their old fans still listen to them. Seriously, I never thought there would ever be an AFI thread on the Fashion Spot.

I'm not sure what to think of their latest album. I think I still have to listen to it a few more times to criticize it. I also own all of their other albums, and "Sing The Sorrow" was my favourite. Butch Vig (drummer of Garbage, producer for the Pumpkins, Sonic Youth) produced it very well by adding bits of industrial parts to it.

To me, they're not just another MTV goth band. I don't care what their singer looks like, but, to each their own I guess...

16-06-2006
V.I.P.

I don't generally like hardcore, et al., but there are worse among the genre and Sing the Sorrow *is* a surpisingly listenable album. (La bordélique, I noticed your similarity of opinion just after I'd stated my own!) But my mind must be elsewhere, because I stared at the title of this thread for maybe a full minute before I finally made the A.F.I. connection: Affie?... no, never heard of them... wait -- Alf??... no, this is Art of Noise... etc.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
afi