How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Art of Noise
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

06-01-2010
tfs star

gosh i can't believe that he is still so young - not even in his mid 20s. - last album is so grown up for them

07-01-2010
she had boys in her room

tumblr

08-01-2010
backstage pass

Awwww, how adorable.

windowshopping

Quote:
At Shoreditch House in London last night By NADIA MENDOZA

NEVER one to shy away from a party, KATE MOSS and her pals were out in force last night to celebrate her 36th birthday.
But unlike most of us who have to put up with embarrassing uncles, the model's guestlist included boyfriend JAMIE HINCE, best pal SADIE FROST and ARCTIC MONKEYS frontman ALEX TURNER.

Monkey-ing around ... Alex Turner
OPTIC PHOTOS

Kate kept things simple in black and white, showing off her great legs in a pair of tiny hotpants as she boogied the night away at trendy Shoreditch House.

There was, however, no sign of an engagement ring on her left hand from rumoured fiance Jamie.

He is believed to have proposed earlier this month in Mustique after flying out to join her on a modelling shoot.

At least there is no sign of Kate slowing down as she hurtles towards her fourth decade.

She will no doubt be partying with her zimmer frame when the time comes.
www.thesun.co.uk

Last edited by Andromaque; 22-01-2010 at 03:57 AM.
31-01-2010
front row

http://ratherbealive.tumblr.com/

16-06-2010
.my prison is your brain.

Quote:
The ‘This Is Not A Suit’ campaign rolls on, this time adding some faces you may just recognise. These pictures are part of an upcoming exhibition and focus on the ‘captains’ of each industry, whether it be music, film, sports or politics (we shudder at the thought of David Cameron making an appearance). Leap to see the rest of the pictures and don’t forget about their Tumblr. - selecticism
Looking damn fine! Posted some pics of Miles in The Last Shadow Puppets Thread.

09-07-2010

Arctic Monkeys' Alex Turner writes soundtrack for the Richard Ayoade-directed film 'Submarine'

Arctic Monkeys' Alex Turner has written the soundtrack for an upcoming British film called Submarine.

As ContactMusic.com reports, Turner has penned a number of songs for the soundtrack, which will be mixed by Simian Mobile Disco's James Ford.

Directed by Richard Ayoade, who is known for his acting roles in TV shows like The IT Crowd and The Mighty Boosh, the actor/writer has worked with Arctic Monkeys before on their 2008 live music DVD At The Apollo, plus directed their music videos for 'Fluorescent Adolescent', 'Crying Lightning' and 'Cornerstone'.

Set to be released in 2011, Submarine is being based on the debut novel of the same name by Joe Dunthorne, and is about a 15-year old boy who is trying to lose his virginity, whilst struggling to keep his parents together.

nme.com

04-02-2011

Finally a release date -- looking forward to this, and the film!

Quote:
Sundance Sountracks Exclusive: Alex Turner's 'Submarine' songs out in March

“Submarine” certainly was a unique movie at Sundance, and with it came a similarly rare soundtrack.

Alex Turner, frontman for the Arctic Monkeys, headed up the charge with a handful of brand new solo tracks, and I can happily reveal when fans outside of film festivals can get a gander.

“Submarine” soundtrack songs will be released digtally, under Turner’s name, on March 14 in the U.K., and in the U.S. some time during the same month, exact date TBA. It will be a “completely separate release than the new Monkeys album,” a spokesperson for Domino Records told HitFix. The indie Co. behind the Arctic Monkeys’ music, published via EMI.

While its still unclear which songs will be on the as-yet-untitled set, Turner and the Weinstein company have a few to choose from: the tracks “Stuck on the Puzzle,” “Hiding Tonight,” “Glass in the Park,” “It’s Hard to Get Around the Wind” and “Piledriver Waltz” all made the cue. I smell EP.

This would be Turner’s first, ehm, turn as a solo artist, all with the help of producer James Ford (who happens to moonlight as co-founder/member of Simian Mobile Disco). But don’t think big dance-rock affairs, or warped electro-freak numbers…

Turner sticks only to acoustic guitar and piano, his young voice a good tandem to the film’s teenaged protagonist. The latter spends much of his energy trying to court – and then sleep with – his new femme fatale-istic girlfriend and attempting to make his parents fall back in love. Gooshy stuff, very British (the story’s set in Wales) and funny as hell.

Stuff that Turner excels at, in his lyrical one-liners and swing zingers, like falling in love with “the polka dots type,” and “getting a pass into heaven” and needing a wristband. The loneliness, memories and sad spying-on-your-parents montages all get an equally lovesick score, thanks to the 25-year-old songwriter’s backing. Plus he looks suspiciously similar to lead actor Craig Roberts.

Meanwhile, the Arctic Monkeys themselves already confirmed that they were on for a new album to be released in 2011, which will be the follow-up to 2009's rockin' "Humbug" (produced by Ford, also). Turner may also be working again with Ford on another Last of the Shadow Puppets project, if Miles Kane is to be believed: the singer and former Rascals frontman said last year that the group was planning on another album together, on the heels of 2008's "The Age of the Understatement."

hitfix

04-02-2011
she had boys in her room

Me too, the film and the soundtrack have both been getting amazing reviews!

05-02-2011
V.I.P.

Very exciting,cant wait to hear the new songs!

07-02-2011
she had boys in her room

The trailer:

More details about the soundtrack:
Quote:
A 6-track EP of songs by Alex Turner from the film Submarine, will be released by Domino Records on Monday 14th March 2011. The EP will be available on CD/10" and via digital download.

Tracklisting below:

1. Stuck On The Puzzle(Intro)
2. Hiding Tonight
3. Glass In The Park
4. It's Hard To Get Around The Wind
5. Stuck On The Puzzle
6. Piledriver Waltz

Submarine, the debut film from Richard Ayoade, based on the novel by Joe Dunthorne will be show nationwide in UK cinemas from the 18th March 2011.
arcticmonkeys.com

01-03-2011
she had boys in her room

Preview clips of the Submarine songs:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Submarine-or...96434&sr=301-1

At an NME after party last week

entertainment.ie

01-03-2011
backstage pass

^the previews sound great and very promising, thanks for posting!! I actually want to see the film only because of his music...

Last edited by cloudyshambles; 01-03-2011 at 05:21 PM.
01-03-2011

Sounds a bit reminiscent of George Harrison's solo work, no? I'm quite excited about it. I'd love to know the process behind him writing the songs, how much direction they gave him, etc. I hope it's available digitally in the US on the 14th as well.

Last edited by HeatherAnne; 01-03-2011 at 08:16 PM.
02-03-2011
she had boys in her room

Richard Ayoade gave a few details about the process in an interview with Q Magazine last month. He originally asked Alex to submit cover versions of his choice because he thought it would be a bit rude or presumptuous to ask him to write new stuff but was secretly hoping he would. Alex had a copy of the script and online links to daily rushes when writing the songs.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
alex, turner