How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Art of Noise
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

22-02-2006
trendsetter

They're awesome, I totally their new album! Definitely the best release in months IMO

22-02-2006
fashion insider

they are great fun to listen to but i'm not buying their album because, despite their hype as being "the sound of the new generation", they aren't that special and i know i'll be bored of them in a few months.

That one Alex Turner is also betting quite egotistical - he kind of dissed the libs music in one interview and said libertine fans are posh school kids. the libertines were way better than the arctic monkeys. and i'm not posh.

22-02-2006
front row

^ He's actually friends with Carl Barat. I don't believe what the tabloids say...

23-02-2006
front row

i think it's great how they became famous through releasing their music for free on the internet
the album is really good in my opinion, lyrics that mike skinner wouldn't be ashamed of and that's quite an amazing thing from guys that are 19 years old! i really like the way they back those lyrics up with libertines style guitar riffs to

the hype is to big which is a shame cause a lot of people will not take them serious because of those stupid tabloids, and those guys are 19 and 20 years old and now they have this huge hype to cope with and that's not easy! they are very talented and it would be a great loss if they lose it and descend into self-parody like pete doherty is doing at the moment thanks to the tabloids.......

since this is their debut i don't think you can say that they're the new libertines because they came up with 2 brilliant albums so the monkeys need to a least make another great record. and like i said i hope they don't fall apart like the libs because that break-up and talent loss was enough for this
decade!

23-02-2006
windowshopping

They are definitly the "it" band of the moment. My favourite songs would either be "dancing shoes" or "mardy bum", although it changes daily.

23-02-2006
V.I.P.

I liked Mardy Bum soooo much before the album release and thought they were gonna be something... but the album is fairly dissapointing. New Libertines? They wish. New great band? Still wishing. That said, I think Alex has a great accent and I love how it comes out. I am never saying Bum like Rum ever again. Bum just has to be pronounced like room

24-02-2006
fashion insider

yeah, it's all in the accent eh.
and electricringo, i don't know whether what i read is true or not, but it still made me kind of mad. especially since i saw pictures of alex hanging with carl in LA or something and carl was carrying alex in his arms (aw). if it was true, carl should have dropped him then and there.

25-02-2006
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yppe
Yes, The Coral support Oasis, but I couldn't see them I love The Coral, but not Oasis, so I wasn't going to pay 30 € only to see The Coral for 30 minutes.

Well, I like them both and i must say the Coral were absolutely awesome ..I've became a fan of them after I saw them live, really good. Oasis were kinda dissapointing though . They weren't bad but i guess i was just expecting more.

01-04-2006
V.I.P.

I can't believe it took me almost 3 months to look for a Monkeys thread!!
The first song I heard was Fake Tales of San Francisco, early last year, and I loved it soooo much! I have almost every song twice (because the album and the demos diverse a bit :p ).
Alex has the best accent and their lyrics are quirky and funny, not ambitious. But they climbed to dizzy heights very fast

01-04-2006
V.I.P.

Im going to their concert when they come to Australia.

Im just dreading all the screaming 13 years old I will be stuck with...

01-04-2006
I am half-sick of shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemeray
Im going to their concert when they come to Australia.

Im just dreading all the screaming 13 years old I will be stuck with...
That's what I was worried about but it was completely different. It was a small venue and about half the audience were record company execs (drooling and wearing paper name badges)...

The Arctic Monkeys were good live but the lead singer was so wasted it was a toss up whether he would (a) make it through the set or (b) fall off the stage...

01-04-2006
rising star

Hooray! They're playing in Brisbane! Anyone know how much the tickets will be approx?

01-04-2006
V.I.P.

^^ The ones in Sydney is about $64.

Apparantly Alex has become a complete wanker.

02-04-2006
front row

they sound like the libertines which is good enough for me!

02-04-2006
rising star

^they dont sound like the libertines at all!
I can't belive I said that I'd never felt this way about a band since the libs.. Im really bored with the monkeys right now... and comparing them with the libs is just wrong. the libertines are in a class of their own.

and lemeray, what's that about alex becoming a complete wanker? I wanna hear more!

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
arctic, monkeys