How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Art of Noise
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

28-12-2003
Naturellement pulpeuse

Hey, it's my droit de signeur to ramble! *Spots tight-knit circle on Bjork fans closing in* *Runs*

28-12-2003
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Dec 28th, 2003 - 4:14 pm
Hey, it's my droit de signeur to ramble! *Spots tight-knit circle on Bjork fans closing in* *Runs*
what do you expect? seriosuly

oh yes and I do listen to avant garde and id outn break my cd player

etre soi-meme

Quote:
Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Dec 29th, 2003 - 2:14 am
*Spots tight-knit circle on Bjork fans closing in* *Runs*
great idea your highness

28-12-2003
Naturellement pulpeuse

Ehm...what sounds does she use that are unique? What are these great harmonic innovations?

If you are not a musician there is very little point in listening to Avant-Garde classical and almost no point in listening to Avant-Garde jazz. It's sole objective is musical intellectualism. Unless you can immediately spot a plagal cadence played in reverse on a pentatonic scale I don't really see what the attraction can be? The whole point of Avant Garde is that it's by musicians for musicians. It's not supposed to be interesting - it's supposed to be complicated...Avant-Garde is classical ripped to pieces, unless you have a very good understanding of classical..well...just...why???

fashion insider

i agree I dont think bjork is Avant-Garde or even really groundbreaking at all i think there has been bjork types before .... i dont think she has staying power but i think the point of music is whether or not you like it or if it invokes something within you despite what "they" say similar to fashion. she is clearly different and her music might not be paving roads but it has a different sound to the lay person as does her fashion..... not many would or would even want to understand musical explanations... "If you are not a musician there is very little point in listening to Avant-Garde classical and almost no point in listening to Avant-Garde jazz. It's sole objective is musical intellectualism. Unless you can immediately spot a plagal cadence played in reverse on a pentatonic scale I don't really see what the attraction can be?" as far as music goes Prince....... i dont think at least....

28-12-2003
seagreen serenades

Quote:
Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Dec 28th, 2003 - 10:38 pm
Maybe Bjork is an artist but she is undoubtably not an auteur and hence in my opinion her taste in clothes should not be excused by saying that she is some great creative genius...
Since when does your taste in music have to be representative of your taste in clothes, or taste in general? There are many artists, stereotypically creative or not, who admit to appreciating passionately musical genres completely unlike the one which they create and in this case no-one points the finger and asks why they do not choose that said route for themself. If we are to apply your ''Her taste in clothes should not be excused by saying that she is some great creative genius...'' then we would have to claim from certain designers or style icons their position because their actual personality does not match the creativity of their clothes. Even if her music does not, in your opinion, express the abstract artistry of her unconventional fashions (to put your words politely) she is still entitled to an open canvas as is everybody else. Her work is in a creative field, if anything this buys her some time. There are teachers and doctors and secretaries employed in their respective areas who feel equally inclined to express themselves freely and using their body as their temple. If they wish to attempt heroin chic should they not be allowed because their day job is too blah?

28-12-2003
Naturellement pulpeuse

It was earlier suggested in this thread that Bjork is a great artist and that she is allowed to dress like a great artist. I am pointing out that maybe she is not a great artist...Miles Davis was a great artist (one of the founders of all rock and pop music and their derivatives) and he didn't feel a need to wear animals around his body:

If I you walked down the street wearing what Bjork wears there would be an not inconsiderable number of people who would think you were an utter pr*t.

seagreen serenades

Quote:
Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Dec 28th, 2003 - 11:52 pm
If I you walked down the street wearing what Bjork wears there would be an not inconsiderable number of people who would think you were an utter pr*t.
But i am an utter pr*t

28-12-2003
Naturellement pulpeuse

Well isn't everyone these days...it's the hip thing to be...but wearing that you'd look like a complete, total and utter prat.

seagreen serenades

Quote:
Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Dec 28th, 2003 - 11:59 pm
Well isn't everyone these days...it's the hip thing to be...but wearing that you'd look like a complete, total and utter prat.
Now you see, you're assuming and presuming (the pair of preconceptions) that Bjork wanders in and out of her street of igloos wearing that kind of attire. Perhaps I am just an utter pr*t and a slob, but I have clothes in different levels of 'dress' and 'fancy dress'. I heard from a little bird by the name of Cedric and type of robin, that some of these stars and starlets, actually consider their public appearance clothes to be quite fancy and not for an everyday trip to the market. Soooooooo, when Bjork has somewhere nice to be, she breaks out the big guns and shows something personal, special and unlikely to be spotted on the arm of every female on the arm of every male.

28-12-2003
trendsetter

um, what's a prat?

28-12-2003
gem
front row

Quote:
Originally posted by PrinceOfCats@Dec 28th, 2003 - 6:52 pm

I quite like both of them, "Your Highness"

28-12-2003
V.I.P.

First of all to answer your question of why i listen to Avant garde msuic if i am nto a msuician, i listen to ti becuas I like it, becuas it makes me happy, ok? you ahve no palce to judge my taste.

Dount make arogant remarks about me, bjork or otehr people.

front row

Quote:
Originally posted by Spacemiu+Dec 28th, 2003 - 6:14 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Spacemiu @ Dec 28th, 2003 - 6:14 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-PrinceOfCats@Dec 28th, 2003 - 3:38 pm
Musical tastes are purely objective but in musical and intellectual terms Bjork hasn't got anything on the Be-bop jazzmen or even their less skilled classical counterparts. Emotional power is purely objective but I don't think that many people would say Bjork's singing has more power than the likes of say, Bessie Smith or Billie Holliday. In technical terms Helmut Lang is very accomplished (as is Galliano) Bjork is nobody in technical terms. What's more she's nothing new - twenty years after she dies musicians will not be copying her riffs (virtually every pop musician ever to have lived owes a debt to Davis for his pioneering of Cool and Fusion styles).

In terms of lyrics there aren't many poets I know who would choose Bjork as their favourite musician (whereas I know quite a few poets who admire Dylan and Young).

Maybe Bjork is an artist but she is undoubtably not an auteur and hence in my opinion her taste in clothes should not be excused by saying that she is some great creative genius...
well iam nto a musican by any emans, btu I do apricaet music and Iam friends with many musicians and I know many very acomplished and respected muscians, almost all of these people regarde bjork as VERY inovateve in music. Bjork usses soudns that are totaly diffrent from what is going on in most music. Bjork is really a artist's artist. Technically bjork is evry acomplished ( she has been studying music sens she was soemthing like 7) she has reinvented classical harmoneys and music into soemthing totaly her own.

and poeticly? have you read nay of her lyrics , they are extreamly poetic and expressive

im sorry btu I dount think you knwow hat you are talking about [/b][/quote]
nicely put

29-12-2003
Mannikin

I haven't read everything yet but I agree with LolitaLuxe.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
björk