How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Art of Noise
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

29-11-2005
scenester

I couldn't live without classical music, especially Chopin.
My favorite of his is Waltz in B Minor Opus 69 No.2. So beautiful!!!!

26-01-2006
rising star

How about some Erik Satie? Listen to his piano works, sparse, yet truly haunting music. If you're not into any classical you probably will be after listening to him.
When it comes to classical I go mainly for baroque, Bach being the cornerstone, and late 19th early 20th, especially Strauss, Shoenberg, Rachmaninov, Ravel, Satie. I certainly enjoy some Mozart and Beethoven, but at times the dramatic pompous symphonies and opera's, don't fit my tastes.

26-01-2006
V.I.P.

Gosh....Satie is a joy to play....some of his work is haunting. I remember listening to Gymnopedies when I was like about 5 and wanting to play it so bad even though I had only started learning. I kinda forced myself to learn it on a technical level coz I loved it so much but then for my Grade 6 exam it came up as my exam piece so I was thrilled that I got to play it properly.

My blog - Style Bubble - http://stylebubble.typepad.com/style_bubble/
26-01-2006
rising star

I like Tchaikovsky's Marche Slave and Prokofiev's Montagues and Capulets .
My alltime favorite has to be Nocturne Op.32 intermezzo by Chopin!!! Very lovely.

19-06-2007
Spring of Córdoba

my favourite is : shostakovich - eyes wide shut ( waltz 2 from jazz suite )

backstage pass

Eh... Well, I'm going to revive this thread.

I started 'studying' classical music when I was about 6, and I finished my studies over a year ago in 2006. I've come to really like soundtrack music, (think Pirates of the Carribean) and I've studied so many different composers it's not funny. But throughout my studies I've come to really like the Chopin waltzes and nocturnes, nearly everything by Debussy and Ravel- although learning and polishing them up to concert performance/examination standard is something completetly different. Swan Lake and Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy are probably some of my favourite compositions by Tchaikovsky; I was never really fond of Bach's 48 Preludes and Fugues... didn't help that most of them are very difficult to learn musically and theoretically, but I do like Bach's Cello Suites

03-01-2008
front row

I love classical music. I've been playing cello for about 12 years, and I used to play piano, so my favourites run along those veins. I'm shocked that nobody's mentioned Dvorak or Vivaldi though! They're both so dramatic and wonderful. Vivaldi's Four Seasons and his concertos for cellos are amazing. As for Dvorak, he wrote what is considered to be the single most challenging and beautiful piece of music for the cello, his Concerto in B Minor. He also wrote the New World Symphony, which is just... no words to describe. For anyone who wants to kick off their classical music experience with a bang, go for Dvorak. I also love love LOVE Mendelssohn's Scottish Symphony.

Also amazing and slightly less well-known is Elgar. I also personally love Rachmaninov and Tchaikovsky. Not such a huge fan of the Mozart-Beethoven-Bach trio of household names, but I love the Moonlight Sonata and the Pathetique by Beethoven. (everyone knows the first movement of the Moonlight, but everyone SHOULD know the third. It's amazing.) And I admit, I have a soft spot for Bach's suites for unaccompanied cello.

Last edited by seculate; 03-01-2008 at 10:21 AM.
03-01-2008
Fat Karl

I love classical music and I would say my taste in it is very eclectic. I grew up listening to a lot of classical music because my dad love it...it's rubbed off on me!

Here are some of my favorites-
Adagio of Spartacus and Phrygia by Khachaturian
Bolero by Ravel
Cappricio for Piano and Orchestra (Presto) by Igor Stravinsky (love Stravinsky)
Casta Diva performed by Maria Callas (from the opera "Norma")
Cavalleria Rusticana/ Intermezzo Sinfonico by Masgani (Dolce & Gabbana's theme song)
Everything from "The Nutcracker" (I grew up on "The Nutcracker" and Tchaikovsky...he is one of my favorite composers...boy did he know how to end a song! The last seconds of many of his songs are so stirring!)
Vorspiel by Wagner (from "Das Rheingold")
Almost everything by Michael Nyman, especially his work for "The Piano"
Fratres by Arvo Part
Hungarian Rhapsody No. 6 by Liszt
Symphony No. 5 by Beethoven (of course)
Dies Irae by Verdi (from Messa de Requiem)
Symphony No. 4 "Heroes": I. Heroes by Philip Glass
Dammi Tu Forza, O Cielo by Verdi (from "La Traviata")
Pray! Observe the Magnanimity and Poor Wand'ring Ones, Though Ye Have Surely Strayed by Gilbert & Sullivan (from "Pirates of Penzance")
Fanfare for the Common Man by Aaron Copland
Adagio for Strings by Samuel Barber
Jupiter: The Bringer of Jollity by Gustav Holst (from "The Planets")
Queen of the Night Aria by Mozart (from "The Magic Flute")
The Chairman Dances by John Adams
William Tell Overture by Rossini
Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini Op. 43/ Var. 18 by Rachmaninoff (love Rachmaninoff)

There are plenty of others, but these are the ones I listen to most on my iPod!

backstage pass

Nice list Dior_Couture1245! Theres some works you've got there that I don't think I've heard yet, but I'm writing them down! It's always exciting to listen to other people's choice of music in a certain genre.

I tend to work better with Classical music on rather than a song with lyrics (so no, no Operas, Recitatives or Arias etc when I'm studying either). The lyrics begin to distract me sometimes, because I tend to start singing along, funnily enough, humming a tune of a work helps me remember things more easily.

04-01-2008
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpop View Post
Nice list Dior_Couture1245! Theres some works you've got there that I don't think I've heard yet, but I'm writing them down! It's always exciting to listen to other people's choice of music in a certain genre.

I tend to work better with Classical music on rather than a song with lyrics (so no, no Operas, Recitatives or Arias etc when I'm studying either). The lyrics begin to distract me sometimes, because I tend to start singing along, funnily enough, humming a tune of a work helps me remember things more easily.
my problem exactly. if I'm doing anything that requires my concentration, on goes my classical playlist, and it doesn't include anything with vocals. (oh, except for Nessun Dorma, the tenor aria. BEAUTIFUL.)

trendsetter

I recently saw Dennis O Neil and Dame Kiri Te Kanewa in concert, as my first opera I must admit it was pretty special! Plus we had great seats!
I also love Andrea Bocelli, an amazing voice. I hate to admit it, but my mother's taste in music is starting to rub off on me!

front row

im studying classical violin 8) anyone else play an instrument?

trendsetter

i used to play the violin too!

front row

I play cello and piano. I mentioned it somewhere up there. ^ I also sing, but cello is my main thing.

dudeist

I play piano. I mean, I'm still studying it, and unlike some people around here I like Bach and the well tempered clavier. At the begginig I didn't like it, but my teacher told me "you'll learn to like it", and I did.
I've got a weakness for russian composers, I love Prokofiev's collaborations with Eisenstein, and Shostakovich too. And well, a really long list of things. Classical music deserves more than one thread.
Oh, I'll just mention another thing... Bela Bartok, the miraculous mandarin

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
classical, music