How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Art of Noise
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

04-01-2008
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingace View Post
I play piano. I mean, I'm still studying it, and unlike some people around here I like Bach and the well tempered clavier. At the begginig I didn't like it, but my teacher told me "you'll learn to like it", and I did.
that reminded me. I was looking through old piano music the other day in my piano bench and I found the well-tempered claviere, a really old version of it, falling apart. it excited me because we learned about it in my music theory class, and then it was just sitting in my bench.

05-01-2008
oh! darling

I thoroughly enjoy Yanni's piano playing.

A CD from the 90s called "In My Time" is absolutely breath-taking.

Absolutely.

dudeist

Quote:
Originally Posted by seculate View Post
I was looking through old piano music the other day in my piano bench and I found the well-tempered claviere, a really old version of it, falling apart. it excited me because we learned about it in my music theory class, and then it was just sitting in my bench.
oh, mine is in a very good state. And it has terrible fingering notes by Andras Schiff, he likes to make things more difficult than they already are, really extrange, I guess that's because he's a hell of a piano player and I'm not

Last edited by flyingace; 05-01-2008 at 04:55 AM.
05-01-2008
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingace View Post
And it has terrible fingering notes by Andras Schiff, he likes to make things more difficult than they already are, really extrange, I guess that's because he's a hell of a piano player and I'm not
hahaha, I have trouble like that with the cello. when I was still taking classical lessons (I stopped about five years ago, I just play irish music now) I would never do the right fingerings, I'd skip second and third position unless they couldn't possibly be avoided. I have the world's laziest technique.

dudeist

^well, lets leave the impossible fingerings for the virtuosos

Currently I'm discovering the alpen symphony by Richard Strauss. I hadn't heard much of him apart from the typical also sprach zarathustra and a few more things. It's really good, the beginnig is absolutely incredible.

06-01-2008
oh! darling

Since many youngins can't stand classical, I know that kids my age enjoy Trans-Siberian Orchestra. Incredibly magical and amazing music!

Enya's instrumentals are beautiful. Specifically "Watermark" and "A Day Without Rain."

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_levante View Post
Since many youngins can't stand classical, I know that kids my age enjoy Trans-Siberian Orchestra. Incredibly magical and amazing music!

Enya's instrumentals are beautiful. Specifically "Watermark" and "A Day Without Rain."
I think that was the same with me. I started the piano when I was about 6, and now I'm 17, so yeah, it's been a pretty long time and whenever someone told me to listen to Classical Music, I'd start to groan and say 'not again!!' but I think that was because I was very serious about learning Classical music that I couldn't stand to hear anymore of it. But now I've finished learning, Classical music is the best companion to study with , and there are so many works I like from so many composers spanning from the Baroque through to the neo-classical period (and beyond!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aMMbitious
im studying classical violin 8) anyone else play an instrument?
Do you mean Classical violin as in with examinations? I don't think I would have coped if I learnt traditional Violin as well as piano!

Well, as I said previously, I started piano when I was 6, finished piano when I was 16 with my L.MUS.A (woo!), started violin in year 4, (did the Suzuki Method) and if you count the recorder as a serious instrument, I played 3 of them, and I sing!:p but only in Madrigals and Choirs, heavens, I don't think you'll find me singing solo anytime soon. Yep. Music has played a pretty big part of my life.

27-01-2009
backstage pass

I like Stravinsky, Le sacre du printems and L'oiseau de feu.
And at the moment I hear Die Zaubeflöte from Mozart everywhere.

Classial music is something I really need to be in the mood for though..
Mostly played in the evening/night..

27-01-2009
Wanderlust

Ah yes! Le Sacre Du Printemps is a stunning piece!

26-02-2009
rising star

Finally I've found someone who loves classical music! Everyone I know irl doesn't even care about it..

My favorites are mostly piano/violin concertos...

-Shumann Piano Concerto in A Minor(cadenza is my favorite)
-Grieg Piano Concerto
-Every Brahms Symphonies (especially no.4)
-Brahms Violin Concerto (I'm learning it right now...and it's so difficult!)
-Mendelssohn Violin Concerto
-Every Rachmaninoff Piano Concertos
-Schubert Impromptus no.2 D.935
-Everything by Tchaikovsky (symphony no.6 "Pathetique", nutcracker, romeo and juliette, swan lake... Truly magical...)
-Debussy 'Beau Soir' and 'La Mer'
-Chopin Piano Concerto no.2
-Chopin Piano Sonata no.2
-Beethoven 'Waldstein'
-'La Mamma Morta' by Maria Callas...I cry every time I listen to this..
-Everything from opera 'Carmen', 'The Magic Flute', 'Madam Butterfly' and 'Tosca'
-Beethoven Symphony no.5, no.9(esp. conducted by Herbert Von Karajan!)

still...I have a lot to know...I have no idea about half of the composers mentioned here...

Has anyone seen the movie called 'Vier Minuten'? (aka. 'Four Minutes') It's a German movie about a prisoner who is very gifted at playing piano...love this movie.

Last edited by mandolux; 26-02-2009 at 01:52 AM.
02-03-2009
front row

I've been listening to the Four Seasons nonstop now for four days. It's so lovely and magical

windowshopping

I play the flute and piano and am a great fan of classical music. My favourite pieces are the Pomp and Circumstance Marches by Elgar; Mars, Jupiter and Neptune from Holst's Planets Suite; 1812 Overture by Tchaikovsky and The Carnival of the Animals by Saint-Saens.

03-07-2009

Anyone recommend any of Shostakovich's works?
~I'm currently listening to 'Leningrad' Symphony No. 7

rising star

^ well, he composed some of the most marvelous string quartets, although I love his piano concerto as well.

I found Tchaikovsky's piano concerto 2&3 and string quartet no.3 ridiculously underrated such a shame that the intro of piano concerto 2, mov 2 was cut out in many recordings. It's utterly beautiful.

also, I recently finished Bruch violin concerto and started learning Korngold violin concerto, which I loved. The more I learn, the more I enjoy

Last edited by mandolux; 08-07-2009 at 08:44 AM.
13-07-2009
V.I.P.

I'm hoping someone here could recognise the piano piece in this show?
Mostly at the beginning with the footsteps..

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
classical, music