How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Art of Noise
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

03-01-2011
backstage pass

Lately everywhere I go they seem to play Vivaldi, I don't mind but it's strange being haunted by 'The Four Seasons'.

Last week I saw a ballet on television, and ballet doesn't really do it for me but the music they used really did. I happened to be Bach, but unfortunatly I have no idea what it was called. Anyone got some recommondations what to try by Bach?

03-01-2011
dudeist

I don't know about Bach composing ballets, but if it's simply 'dances' maybe you heard the French or the English Suites.

If you want to listen to Bach I'd recomend you to start with the Cantatas, but there's such an insane amount of them that you'll probably get overwhelmed, so... you could try Matthaus Passion for example, I like Harnoncourt's version. The harpsichord concertos are really beautiful and accesible as well, No. 5 for example, maybe you could try the Glenn Gould version. But anyway, I suck at making recommendations, I'm sure someone else will be able to help you better than I

And I agree with you about the four seasons, it's just one of those things that's been really badly treated by the media (and street musicians) and now I can't listen to it normally. It's a shame.

Last edited by flyingace; 03-01-2011 at 11:25 AM.
03-01-2011
dudeist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gius View Post
nice link! I'm going to download the etudes d'execution trascendente right now and see how bad I can make them sound

04-01-2011
V.I.P.

someday i'll be able to play too, soon

only ones i know of Bach are toccata & fugue in d minor, and suite #1 for cello in g-major. probably not ballet o_o;

04-01-2011
V.I.P.

i found one more, thanks to paradeyes..

05-01-2011
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingace View Post

And I agree with you about the four seasons, it's just one of those things that's been really badly treated by the media (and street musicians) and now I can't listen to it normally. It's a shame.
You can say this again and again and again. Im raged at how people abuse classical pieces.

Anyway, If any of you like Bach, search Magnificat too. Oh magnificent music .

08-01-2011
scenester

Absolute best place to get free classical scores; http://imslp.org/wiki/

08-01-2011
Spring of Córdoba

Welcome Gius

A heavenly piece I stumbled across today

dudeist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata View Post
Absolute best place to get free classical scores; http://imslp.org/wiki/
now I feel like a fool for all those times I had to buy one of those Ricordi editions that cost like 10 euros 20 pages. For some reason I never thought of internet.
I still prefer books for big things, but if it's just a couple of pages... this is going to be really useful.

13-01-2011
scenester

Orchestral Interlude from Alban Berg's 'Wozzeck.'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7ohcKQst4U

14-01-2011
V.I.P.

subscribing!
i love this thread!

front row

i grew up listening to a cassette of "the four seasons" that my brother and i brought, for me is the most beautiful and moving classical music ever wrote. some musicians nowadays think that the faster they play it , the better they are, but they are completely wrong , it's not bout speed , it's about sensibility, and i have to say that the best version i've ever heard is the one performed by Susanne Lautembacher with the Viena camera orchestra, just perfect. Everytime i listen to it i feel adrenaline and at the same time. Vivaldi was a true genious , and i often think that if he lived today he would be a rock star, he was the classical music rocker.

16-01-2011
ysl
rising star

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJuc_wQWQG0

17-01-2011
oh! darling

Quote:
ome musicians nowadays think that the faster they play it , the better they are, but they are completely wrong , it's not bout speed , it's about sensibility
I am a classically-trained pianist and lemme just say how true this is. Some of the most difficult pieces I have ever had to play were slower.

backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_levante View Post
I am a classically-trained pianist and lemme just say how true this is. Some of the most difficult pieces I have ever had to play were slower.
What you've said is more than the truth! So many people who aren't classically trained/ who's extent of classical music knowledge doesn't go beyond Beethoven's Für Elise won't know that slower pieces are much more difficult to play well. We can't blame them of course, but we better! Every wrong note and rhythm can be heard; there's no skidding over notes unlike quicker pieces. Yes, fast peices performed well most definitely requires the performer to have good stamina and technique, but slow peices demand precesion in rhythm and greater attention to detail at times, because there's hardly room for error.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
classical, music