Coachella 2012 - Page 2 - the Fashion Spot

How to Join
16-04-2012
V.I.P.

Four words guys: GODSPEED YOU! BLACK EMPEROR

Best performance of the entire event.. beautiful, intense, so intimate.. ahh.. .. and I loved that everyone was off to Bon Iver and other stuff so it was like 100, 200 people at most at the tent. Oh and *shallow* apparently they attract a nearly all-male super-handsome super-flirty audience.

Scott, that's so sad about Feist's performance, it was probably my third favorite of the night and I wasn't a fan of her music before.. on the other hand, I felt a little blah after seeing Radiohead, I got deja vus of their Coachella 2004 performance, Thom sounded like he really hated being there (or being in Radiohead in general..), the comment about Karma Police and feeling alive by playing new stuff worried me a little, I don't think they'll break up but I wonder if they're approaching a long hiatus.. I don't know, in a way I feel like I was spoiled with their 2003 performance (best concert I've ever been to).. I've seen them 3 times afterwards and it's always been a little too awkward.. I almost feel guilty for not enjoying it more.

Justice last night was .. did it stream and anyone caught it?. The atmosphere was insane.. they really brought the entire festival to a climax.

Other highlights:
Santigold.. after the first cold days, arriving to the festival yesterday just in time for her performance felt so good, everyone was dancing and the heat finally made an appearance, it was like middle of the summer (except for the snowed mountains you could see from the show ).. and she's just so nice, I think everyone loved her.

Black Keys. rain + disco ball + Everlasting Light .. that made up for a set of all my least favorite BK songs.

Destroyer. Lovely performance to start the day..

DJ Shadow. I didn't get to see the last part as I left to ditch the traffic but he was so good last night.

The weekend as a whole was nothing short of amazing, Coachella is still 95% about music and worth every penny.. and the other 5% is whatever you want it to be (food, getting drunk, fashion, celebrity-spotting) but when the performances actually take place, it's all minor.

One thing I did notice about 'new' Coachella (in comparison to the editions I attended several years ago) is that it isn't as international as it used to be.. the amount of Australian accents, French, German, it's all gone.. it's totally American, which isn't a bad thing but I do miss the international feel of it, probably all due to current economic times and/or just how pricey it's become.

[Long review, sorry!]

17-04-2012
fashion insider

A hologram of Tupac at your 2012 Coachella, could you ask for anything more...?

Stitch:the Hand

they did stream justice and i watched a bit of it and i agree the crowd for their set was insane. i'm not much of a justice fan so i didn't watch it all the way through.

mullet,talking about justice,did you see modeselektor later that night?? they were fantastic!

17-04-2012
V.I.P.

^ No, they played at Mojave right?, cause I was at DJ Shadow's tent right after Justice and Beirut (they played at the same time) and when I left there was a lot of action at the next tent (and also for Florence & The Machine).. I wish I had dropped by but I was too tired and we still had to drive 3 hours. It gets so tricky trying to check it all out.. and I'm honestly super scared of not finding my friends again (they use T Mobile & Verizon- both saturated) so I'd rather not experiment too much on my own. Boring, I know, but I dread the lost in the supermarket feeling.

17-04-2012

yeah i clicked back to flo as they were on at the same time,simply because i wanted to see her hannah marshall-designed outfit,but the set was pretty standard F&M fare....stuff that i've already heard and seen. kind of lost interest and went back to modeselektor. it was just the kind of thing we electronic fans dream of....not that watered down dross people call "electronic".

and beirut was sublime as always.

21-04-2012
fashion insider

Gotta give the thumbs up to Coachella for their excellent quality livestream again this year, even if some bands I wanted to see declined permission to broadcast (or their record companies did).

Time difference is kinda wrong for viewing from UK but I stayed up late and watched a few sets. I mainly wanted to see Radiohead's headline set which I thought was excellent. Considering they played nearly two hours with two encores I didn't see a problem with chucking in a few newer songs. Frankly at this stage in their career they could have played an entirely different setlist and it would have still been as good. The entire thing was on youtube in HD the next day but sadly now removed.

Also very happy to see the reformed Mazzy Star, who weirdly probably have more fans now than they did when they were originally together.

Laura Marling good as usual. Even more charmed by her when she launched into a song in the wrong key and had to stop her band and apologise. I'm sorting of regretting not making an effort to get tickets for her gig at Manchester Cathedral last year.

Santigold was fun and seemed to bring a lot of fun and energy to the crowd. From watching the stream I notice people there don't seem to dance/mosh very much. Real Estate were nice and chilled out if a bit samey. Pulp were back and I think they know what to do at a festival. James and Buzzcocks are still going!

And surprisingly I really enjoyed Tune-yards. Never got into her record at all but the live performance seemed to add something. Maybe it's just fascinating seeing the way she constructs her song loops and builds it up.

Would have liked to see Amon Tobin, DJ Shadow, Feist and First Aid Kit but I'm not sure they were on the stream.

And looking at the twitter reaction I can't believe so many people still care about Noel Gallagher. I mean, his new songs aren't terrible but the way people are still idolising him...

21-04-2012
V.I.P.

^ On the Santigold part, I searched for videos of Justice's performance just to see how crazy it looked and.. it didn't look crazy at all .. I think the further you are from the stage, the more fun it gets.. Santigold's set was literally a beach party way in the back, everyone dancing their a*s off.. and taking it all off . I got to be closer to the stage the first day (with Black Keys and Pulp) and it was so awkward, no one even knew the lyrics of anything.. but I figured it was the rain and the typical Southern Californian reaction to it (utter confusion/feeling betrayed by nature ).

I agree about Real Estate.. I was with a guy that was so psyched about their performance afterwards.. I mean.. it's like the same song over and over with a few variations?

I tried to see the livestream last night and the page took me to a youtube video of Bon Iver.

21-04-2012
fashion insider

Yeah they're not livestreaming the second weekend unfortunately.

21-04-2012

noel gallagher...pfft i just haven't any tolerance for him whatsoever after he had the gall to question alison goldfrapp's use of a distorting microphone....or pretty much their authenticity as artists....meanwhile he and is idiot brother still under the deluded notion they are the bleeding beatles yeah pot calling kettle black.

i have to say i was delighted by laura marling....i watched so much through the weekend i forgot.....she was ever so charming and the quality of her performance was spot on!

22-04-2012
fashion insider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulletProof View Post
I think the further you are from the stage, the more fun it gets.. I got to be closer to the stage the first day (with Black Keys and Pulp) and it was so awkward, no one even knew the lyrics of anything..
So weird. I only think of what UK festivals are like in comparison and it's normally pretty crazy near the front. Maybe I'm not so surprised about Pulp. Their Glastonbury headline set several years ago was an absolute classic but I never really figured that they had much of a following in America.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulletProof View Post
I agree about Real Estate.. I was with a guy that was so psyched about their performance afterwards.. I mean.. it's like the same song over and over with a few variations?
They remind me of Teenage Fanclub. They've got a very good song, but it's all the same song.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
2012, coachella