How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Cafť / the Art of Noise
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

15-10-2012
girl who fell to earth

Daughter
I just found them today...
Don't know a whole lot about them though.

They were the Guardian's New Band of the Day on Sept 29 of this year...

here's a write-up from that...
guardian.co.uk
I'm linking to it because there's a song sample on the page: http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011...-band-daughter

Quote:
Hometown: London.

The lineup: Elena Tonra (vocals), Igor Haefeli (guitar).

The background: Daughter are Elena Tonra and her musical and life partner Igor Haefeli. Actually, we're not sure if he is her life partner, but they are boyfriend and girlfriend. We're not saying that to spend all your days with this young woman would be a trial, but we are talking here about someone with a rather jaundiced view of relationships. "Throw me in the dirt-pit," she sings on a track called Landfill, only to add later in the same song that, "I want you so much/ But I hate your guts." Daughter's world is full of pain and drama, the kind of place you might want to holiday in if you were feeling particularly masochistic, but not necessarily live.

They are about to release an EP on Communion, and if you thought that label was all about cosy folk, Daughter are about to change your minds. If this is folk, it's the ****ed-up and ****ed-around-with variety. Not too much, though – it's not the avant-garde side of experimental, just a little moody and electronicised, brooding and ambient. Enya meets Eno, or something. Tonra, 21, began performing as a stripped-down acoustic singer but meeting Haefeli meant that Daughter would be more than just a voice, and care would be taken with texture and melody. "I got a bit bored of just me and my guitar," as Tonra, recently described as the Future of London Music, put it.

It's just as well, really, that the focus won't just be on the singing because after a while it could grate. Think the kooky/quirky axis, only more Diana Vickers than BjŲrk. It works as an element of a musical whole but you wouldn't want to leave it unadorned for too long. Luckily, Tonra seems to have come to this realisation, because from her first EP, His Young Heart, to the current one, Wild Youth, there has been an increased attention to detail, to keyboard layers and haunting atmospherics. Love, for example, the last track on the EP, builds and builds, to the point where one of the commenters on Daughter's SoundCloud compares it to the Blue Nile in terms of "sound and architecture", which we hadn't thought of but isn't too far off now that they mention it. The best tracks are the ones where Tonra merges with the music, her vocals just a spectre in the mist. Medicine is a Coldplay ballad in all but name, but we like the Joy Division/New Order-style one-word titles. Youth plumbs Ian Curtis depths of bleakness. "All our feelings are dead," she sings, adding, "You broke my chest." Notice she said chest, not heart. More visceral somehow. Her lyrics are intriguing even if they do overly self-consciously strive for the level of poetry. Then again, The Woods opens with the line, "I asked St Christopher to find your sister", which pretty neatly conflates religious piety and murder mystery. And it rhymes. Promising.

The buzz: "Masterfully blends fluttering, heart-on-the-sleeve acoustic ballads with brooding, ambient soundcapes" – vogue.com.

The truth: She can be as dolorous as Dolores and strident as Sinead.

Most likely to: Stretch out on your grave.

Least likely to: Go raving.

What to buy: The Wild Youth EP is released by Communion on 21 November.

File next to: BjŲrk, Diana Vickers, Enya, Dolores O'Riordan.

Links: facebook.com/ohdaughter.

Last edited by ChrissyM; 15-10-2012 at 05:09 PM.

15-10-2012
girl who fell to earth

They had me at
"'cause I want you so much
but I hate your guts
I hate you"...

from "Landfill"

Last edited by ChrissyM; 15-10-2012 at 05:09 PM.
15-10-2012
girl who fell to earth

Here's "Youth"

29-10-2012
scenester

She's really quite beautiful

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
daughter