How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Art of Noise
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

01-09-2005
rising star

DJ Equipment
I want to purchase some decks for my birthday.
I only want to spend around $5 - 6,000 AU on everything. Is that realistic?

I think I need....
A mixer..... I would love a rane or denon but that aint gonna happen, so what should I go for?
Speakers..... there are lots of different kinds right?
Decks...... I am thinking to go for the 1200's or 1210's.

Basicly I would like to know what you guys would buy/have? What kind of set up is basicly needed, can I just use one deck?

This is not for any pro usage like gigs etc but I would like something good enough so I don’t have to replace it in a couple of years. Now I will show my ignorance.... will I need a crossover, amp or equalizer?

Cheers

Ps. I didn't know where to put this so I guess it's music?

04-09-2005
rising star

Still looking for equipment ideas? I'd suggest you ask at http://www.tranceaddict.com in the DJ forum section. They're mostly into trance music but they can help on equipment suggestions. There are also forum subsections for diffent countries and regions. Waht kind of music do you like?

If you're thinking you're not wanting to do club work but it is a serious hobby and you want to play at friend's house parties, I'd suggest looking at CD decks since vinyl is expensive and the equipment and records are bulky. CD DJing is widely accepted these days. But if you really want vinyl, the 1200 turntables are the standard and in most bigger cities it's easy to find good used decks and mixers at reasonable prices. A mixer costing about $200 - $400US is OK to start with.

Personally I don't even use turntables or CD decks - I have a laptop computer and the Traktor DJ software, and a Midi box that acts like a mixer. It works great and I feel I have a better system than using CD or vinyl. But there is still opposition to computers among vinyl fanatics. I have thousands of music tracks and all my equipment fits in a laptop bag. So I just carry that and sometimes a little table with me to events. I've done house parties and a couple of clubs too. This is not necessarily a low-cost system unless you already have a good laptop. The equipment takes some work to get familiar with and you need to be good with computers.

For speakers you can just connect to a good home stereo if you're doing a small house party, but if you like it loud, look at Mackie SRM450 or JBL Eon 15 inch self-powered speakers, you can rent them or buy for about $700US each, they sound great and are rugged and reliable and you can add a subwoofer later for more bass.

(The forum software here seems to have some bugs.)

Last edited by adams7; 04-09-2005 at 11:51 PM.
06-09-2005
rising star

Hey adam

Thanks heaps for the advice. Oh and that website has been of great help.

I like all music mainly into the hip hop though.

Is that software easy to find, is it cheap-ish? I wouldn't mind trying it out.

I have thought about it and have decided to buy, 1x 1210, 2x cdjs and a Rane mixer.
I havent looked at speakers yet but I will look into the Mackie's.

Peace

06-09-2005
rising star

Here is a place that has the Traktor software and accessories http://floridamusicco.com
click on "DJ software" link on left.
I've dealt with them before successfully and I also have a midi mixer plus an Echo Indigo DJ soundcard. Here's my system ready to go:

There is a demo download of the Traktor software here, I think it will only run for a few weeks, an hour at a time, or similar limitations.
http://www.nativeinstruments.de/inde...id=traktor2_us

Another speaker system is the B-52 Matrix 1000 (try Guitar Center) - it's 2 stereo speakers 10" plus a 15" subwoofer, all self-powered. I've talked to several DJs using this and they all like it.

I have Peavey PR15 speakers, they are low-cost 15 inch and need an external amplifier, reasonable sound and light weight (fit in a smaller car). But I need more bass.

For practicing you might want to try a biggish set of computer speakers such as by Logitech, 2 small speakers and a subwoofer. This is not pro gear but is cheap and has decent sound. You probably don't want it too loud when you're practicing in your apartment or house.

You'll also want headphones, Sony MDR-7506 is excellent. The DJ standard is Sony MDR-V700DJ but these have a reputation for too much bass.

Good luck on this!

06-09-2005
Hoppity Hop

I love my SL-1200M3Ds and spinning vinyl can't be beat but honestly going all digital is just so much cheaper which means having more tunes and that's even more fun than carrying crates or wallets.

The Allen & Heath Xone:V6 is the sweeeeeeeeetest mixer ever but it's cost prohibitive so your Rane sounds just as nice. Congrats.

07-09-2005
rising star

Hey thanks guys.

Adam thanks heaps for the info and links, I will be looking at them more tonight. Thanks again

Peace

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
dj, equipment