How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Art of Noise
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join
View Poll Results: well who is your fav rapper
tupac 10 17.54%
eminem 11 19.30%
nas 6 10.53%
biggie 6 10.53%
jay-z 9 15.79%
nelly 3 5.26%
luda 1 1.75%
dr. dre 2 3.51%
ice cube 1 1.75%
ice-t 0 0%
rakim 1 1.75%
run-dmc 1 1.75%
any member from beastie b. 6 10.53%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

27-01-2005
backstage pass

jay-z is not bad

27-01-2005
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcoldricex
haha i'm listening to um mc's critical beatdown album right now

hiero fell off.
so did the gravediggaz.

coflow and canoxneeds to come back.. but def jux is doing crazy things nowadays..
Def Jux always sucked to me...I could never get into their ****.

I never liked Blackalicious or Black Eyed Peas either. But Black Eyed Peas these days aren't exactly hip-hop, eh?

27-01-2005
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady grey
what about the UltraMagnetics?!!

Who can forget the Ultra Magnetic MC's??

One time for the old skool underground!!
a 19th century dandy who likes Kool Keith! You are truly one of a kind.

BTW are you male or female? Despite having the word 'lady' in your name i can't quite tell from your posts.

28-01-2005
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAUS
Wow, that's not exactly an elaborate list. Definitely not one that represents a global scope of 'hip-hop'. For me, even though I don't listen to much hip-hop nowadays, over the years I've always tended to lean towards the underground.
Artists that come to mind from over the years would be;

Freestyle Fellowship
Company Flow
The Roots
De La Soul
Jurassic Five
Black Moon
The Pharcyde
Aesop Rock
Afu Ra
The Artifacts
Smif n Wessun
The Alcoholiks
Masta Ace
The Hieroglyphics crew(Del, Souls, Casual, etc...)
Das Efx
EPMD
Jungle Bros.
Common (Sense)
Rass Kass
Bush Babies
Planet Asia
UMC's - (HA!)
Black Eyed Peas
Cannibal Ox
The Gravediggaz
A Tribe Called Quest

The list could go on I'm sure, but these are the few that immediately came to mind. Although some of these groups have become more socially acceptable, and are enjoying mainstream success, their roots are definitely in the underground, and the overall structure of their music remains so.

Well, hey I thought it was elaborate, and it is, still is to me to be exact.:p But I can see where you are coming from on the underground part, i like de la soul and the roots too.

28-01-2005
scenester

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady grey
what about the UltraMagnetics?!!

Who can forget the Ultra Magnetic MC's??

One time for the old skool underground!!
I have now idea who in the blue hell they are , but anyway thanks for mentioning them though, now I know something about them

28-01-2005
tfs star

Bx
Quote:
Originally Posted by misskra
I have now idea who in the blue hell they are , but anyway thanks for mentioning them though, now I know something about them
the ultramagnetics were an underground rap act I think from the bronx that was huge in the hip hop underground and had amazing 4 part rhymes and production but always kept it real & underground. since Im from nyc they were much respected but they never went pop so only the true hip hop aficionados know them but they are held in high regard as far as late 80s/early 90s hip hop. no sell out. other rap experts will know much more about them than I do but i was given 2 cassettes of them back in the day & I still treasure the 1 that I have.

kool keith later went on to solo fame & infamy. still mad skills. that **** was hard.

Last edited by lady grey; 28-01-2005 at 03:00 AM.
28-01-2005
kLm
front row

We're talking emcees here right? Well, that opens some serious arguments , no doubt.

Anyway--
Biggie for sure.
Nas
Rakim (with Eric B.)
Kool Keith
MF Doom
O.C.
Ghostface
Raekwon
GZA
(don't even try to tell me Meth, ODB, or RZA can compare with those three)
Guru in Gangstarr
Talib Kweli
Jeru
Ludacris (Ahh, he's not a great emcee but I love him anyway)

And the latest--The Game, his album is stunning.

If we're talking groups, then:
Wu-Tang
NWA
EPMD
Gangstarr
Roots
Mobb Deep
OutKast

30-01-2005
fashion insider

No Kanye West?

30-01-2005
scenester

I like...

Jigga
Dr. Dre
Nas
Wu-Tang
Freeway
Lil Flip
Mobb Deep
Kanye

30-01-2005
backstage pass

I forgot to say Nas, but realy his album Illmatic. When he samples Ahmad Jamals " I love Music" , I forgot the name of the song "whos world is This" ?
That is quite possibly my favorite song ever Next to the Roots " Distortion Of Satic" in terms of music. I really Like "Handsom Boy Modeling School" also by P.Paul and Dan T.A. Oh Yeah and much respect to Gang Star!

As you see I like old stuff. What ever happened to X-Clan? Anybody know?
And Black moon still rocks, recently they have doing some stuff or atleast Buc Shot has. I have a few Cd's from his manager Prince. I dont get to listen to them often, but what I remember is good. Maybe Ill put it on now.

Mike Geranamo?? he still around??

kLm
front row

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo21
No Kanye West?
Great producer, fun first album. He isn't a great emcee, but maybe he'll become one. I do like his album, but compared to everyone else I listed (except the Game), he has a lot of work to do.

And yeah, Illmatic is one of the most ridiculous albums ever. Probably the perfect rap album, in my opinion.

31-01-2005
wabisabi*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kLm
We're talking emcees here right? Well, that opens some serious arguments , no doubt.

Anyway--
Biggie for sure.
Nas
Rakim (with Eric B.)
Kool Keith
MF Doom
O.C.
Ghostface
Raekwon
GZA
(don't even try to tell me Meth, ODB, or RZA can compare with those three)
Guru in Gangstarr
Talib Kweli
Jeru
Ludacris (Ahh, he's not a great emcee but I love him anyway)

If we're talking groups, then:
Wu-Tang
NWA
EPMD
Gangstarr
Roots
Mobb Deep
OutKast
wu-tang? the only good thing the released together was 36 chambers. everything else was ehhhhhhhhhhhh after that.
ghostface is probably the only one that can put out solid solo albums consistently. rae and gza following. i hated how meth always disappointed... especially when he teamed up with redman. what the hell was that.

kool kieth as one of the greatest? don't get me wrong, i'm a kool kieth fan.

i love luda outta all the jiggy rappers. he just got a great voice, delivery, and stupid smart lyrics. haha.

what about gorilla black? hahaha. biggie reincarnated, with a lot less talent.

the new handsome boy modeling school is pretty fun- white people. y'all should check it out.

oh and jean grae should be added to the list to rep the fem emcees.

Last edited by xcoldricex; 31-01-2005 at 12:21 PM.
31-01-2005
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kLm

The Game did indeed drop an incredible album...i've been bumpin it hard every day for the past month and it doesn't lose it's appeal....potential classic. BUT I believe the album's cohesion and strength is more attributed to the incredible production (Dre, Just Blaze, Kanye, Timbo, Hi-Tek ALL on your DEBUT?! Dre and Jimmy gave Game one helluva budget to work with) rather than the Game's actual MC'ing. I think The Game is lyrically a rather mediocre MC, but his mic presence and flow are strong enough to keep me listening.

Also as much as people want to hate on him for being overly commercial and saturated on the airwaves, 50 Cent is probably my favorite rapper of the moment. Whether you like him or not, the man knows how to craft a song like no other, even though his lyrics are far from great (or even good), he has a lot of charisma, a good ear for beats and knows how to make an album with superior replay value (I can still listen to GRODT front to back without pressing fast forward today). The same can be said for The Game and Young Buck, which I guess is why I like G-Unit so much...their **** just bangs hard. They know how to make up for their shortcomings on the mic by making the songs around the beats...except for Lloyd Banks, whose robotic delivery and punchline style has gotten tiring. It's surprising that the best MC in G-Unit dropped their worst album.

We'll probably never see albums with a mixture of superior lyrics and top-notch production like we did in the 90's with Illmatic, Resurrection, Reasonable Doubt, Soul Food, etc...or even albums with complex and groundbreaking soundscapes like The Chronic, Death Certificate, Doggystyle, but I think rap in its current state isn't as bad as some people make it to be.

31-01-2005
V.I.P.

iam.

01-02-2005
fashion icon

Wow so I revisited 50 Cent's "Power of the Dollar" album...which he recorded before he got shot and jumped on Dre's back. Comparing his style/voice then and now is like two totally different rappers...the only similar thread I notice is the penchant for making catchy hooks. Aftermath-50 has dumbed down his style a lot...it's still appealing, just a lot more commercial, and his flow now is more sing-song and drawl-like with much simpler lyrics. PotD-50 is just raw as ****...great NYC thug rap album, reminds me of Biggie in the way he found that perfect balance between commercial and hardcore, it's interesting to speculate where his career would've gone if he hadn't got shot and signed with Dre. It's a shame this album never saw an official release either.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
artists, favorite, rap