How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Art of Noise
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

08-09-2005
trendsetter

Fiona Apple
I was wondering if you guys had any opinion on Extraordinary Machine, the upcoming release from Fiona Apple. The situation; the music; the original recordings; the re-recordings.

Personally, i love Fiona Apple and think Jon Brion is a pretty stellar producer and a good match for Fiona. I really love the original recordings from this. From what i've heard of the re-recordings, i don't sense an improvement was made. But i will most definitely be there on 10/4 with bells on and an open mind.

Thoughts?

Last edited by bleuFunk; 08-09-2005 at 01:01 PM.

08-09-2005
V.I.P.

Where can I listen to it? I can't comment without listening. I've liked her in the past, I like her energy and her heart-on-the-sleeve approach to music.

08-09-2005
mmmmmm...fashion....

i'm looking foward to this..it's been a fair while since when the pawn..

08-09-2005
rising star

I love Fiona Apple. It makes me angry that Sony has been stuffing around with this album for so long. i think she she has a pretty loyal fan base, so i dont really know why they feel as though they needed to tweak the record as much as they have to find some marketable songs. how many singles were released from when the pawn? i only remember seeing a video for "fast as you can", so i never thought they were geared towards having a tonne of stand-alone singles hits for her.

i have heard a couple of songs on the internet a while ago, and i didnt really pay much attention because i thought the album would have been out shortly after, and i need to be left alone with them for a while (then they become like friends). i would buy the new album straight away because i absolutely trust her (and jon), and that i'd love it. i feel like the tone of the last two have exactly reflected where i have been at the time in my life, i am really looking forward to see how she has evolved.

where do you listen to the original and re-recordings? i i knew a couple of songs were leaked, but have you heard the whole album?

Last edited by flick; 08-09-2005 at 02:15 PM.
08-09-2005
mmmmmm...fashion....

three tracks were released from when the pawn

fast as you can
limp (video directed by paul thomas anderson of magnolia fame)
paper bag

(the videos were a cdextra in the uk paper bag single)

08-09-2005
seagreen serenades

Since I loved, When the pawn, I can't wait... I think

08-09-2005
rising star

^^ Really? And I call myself a fan...

limp and paper bag were great; i can't believe i missed those clips. maybe they weren't released as singles in australia. i think paul thomas anderson did fast as you can as well (and across the universe). i remember her saying in an interview that she only feels comfortable with him shooting her videos because she felt exploited after criminal.

08-09-2005
Iowa Girl Loves Fashion

I'm still a huge fan of Tidal. I actually got rid of my When the Pawn... album. Maybe my expectations were too high.

When is her new one released? I don't think it has been, but I could totally be wrong. There was some buzz around it a few weeks ago, but it's been a little quiet since.

08-09-2005
V.I.P.

I don't understand. I've downloaded about 7 songs from an Extraodinary Machine album. Its obviously already been released, why would they release it again?

I personally love anything Fiona Apple.

08-09-2005
trendsetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flick
^^ Really? And I call myself a fan...

limp and paper bag were great; i can't believe i missed those clips. maybe they weren't released as singles in australia. i think paul thomas anderson did fast as you can as well (and across the universe). i remember her saying in an interview that she only feels comfortable with him shooting her videos because she felt exploited after criminal.
I only saw the video for Paper Bag once. It was so cute too! You'd be surprised, i think. Fiona as all glammed up in a red dress and dancing with some children, if i remember it correctly. I tried to order the CD single off Amazon, but i guess it's out of print.

If you go to her site (www.fiona-apple.com) there are some clips including part of a new video.

08-09-2005
trendsetter

I think i'm assuming this is more widely known than is the case. The album was recorded 3 years ago with Jon Brion. The story at the time was that Sony had rejected the album, considering it unmarketable. Tracks of those recordings slowly began to filter out - you should be able to find those recordings pretty easily through peer-to-peer. (If you don't and want to hear them, email me privately.)

Sony came back and said that they never received a "final" version and Fiona has since stated that she wasn't happy with the original recordings. She ended up re-recording those songs with a new producer, as well as 2 new songs. One of the new songs and a re-recorded song are available on iTunes. ("Parting Gift" and "O' Sailor") I haven't heard any of the other new recordings, but i imagine there available on P2P. I think i'm going to wait it out though.

Last edited by bleuFunk; 08-09-2005 at 03:57 PM.
09-09-2005
fashion elite

love her!

09-09-2005
front row

I love Paper Bag... and I couldn't be more excited about the forthcoming release.

13-09-2005
trendsetter

I loved Tidal. Sleep to Dream is an incredible song and the rest of the album is excellent as well.

Thanks for posting the info and link to her site bleuFunk. Parting Gift is beautiful.

05-10-2005
trendsetter

I got the CD today, so now i've heard both versions. I won't bore you with a blow by blow, but for the most part the changes between the two are fairly subtle. I would say that only "Get Him Back" is noticably improved in the newer version. "Red Red Red" is drastically different, but both are nice. I think the early version matches the lyrics better, but the new version is nice as well. The one i was really disappointed with is "Better Version Of Me". The earlier version has a quirky feel to it that puts me in the mind of a warped version of "Jungle Line" by Joni Mitchell. I loved it. The newer version is very lacklaster and disappointing in comparison.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
apple, fiona