How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Art of Noise
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

29-03-2008
V.I.P.

Frederic Sanchez - Sound Illustrator
He collaborates on runway music for many high profile fashion houses including:

Prada, Hermes, Valentino, JPG, Chloe, Calvin Klein, Marc Jacobs, Versace, Givenchy and so forth...

It's a little sad no one really mentions him when it comes to runway music because I think he and Michael Gaubert (another sound illustrator) are genius with music which compliment the many looks on the runway. Runway music adds to the mood of a collection and can even create it...

www.fredericsanchez.com

Last edited by notmanons; 29-03-2008 at 03:20 PM.

31-10-2009
Alluring

Oh, he's a real genius, creating such musical marvels which always fit so perfectly the collections' mood! I still can't get over how brilliant his creation for Miu Miu FW 09 was, mixing the movie quotes.

Just got his CD with favourite songs, can't wait to listen to it

Last edited by mackos; 31-10-2009 at 05:04 AM.
15-11-2009
V.I.P.

^ he's released his own cd?

17-11-2009
Alluring

Well, it's just a compilation of the songs he likes, you can check it here. It's really nice

21-11-2009
V.I.P.

He is a genius and I think we should post some of his work here, no? Starting from his earliest work to his most recent? Does anyone have files from Spring 2006? I think that was when he first started putting his work online?

21-11-2009
Alluring

^I wanted to ask about that too! I'm particulary interested in his work before S/S 08 and I'm wondering if anyone has managed to get them.

23-03-2010
trendsetter

great musician of the year!

Last edited by balmain1914; 23-03-2010 at 09:43 PM.
31-03-2010
Alluring

Could someone be so nice and rip the Air France composition from his website? It's in the Sound Environment part. TIA

http://fredericsanchez.com/

08-09-2010
lost in thought

Time to revive things up here.

THE SANCHEZ SOUNDTRACKS: a decade's worth of hits from fashion's top mix master
Quote:
When Miuccia Prada or Marc Jacobs wants just the right music—or, in the case of Miu Miu Fall 2010, just the right mix of movie dialogue—to accompany their clothes down the runway, they turn, like many in the fashion industry, to Frederic Sanchez. Here, the Paris-based sound designer highlights some of his most memorable collaborations of the last decade, from Air France's in-flight grooves to that "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" moment at Marc.

Jil Sander, Fall 2000

"I played one track from the German artist Thomas Brinkmann. The title was 'Groovin' and it was just a very simple rhythm growing up into a very sexy crescendo. This was Jil Sander's last show, just 25 beautiful silhouettes—the quintessence of minimalism. At that moment you could really feel the end of the nineties."

Prada, Spring 2001

"The [show] announced a new start in fashion. I played the first album of a new artist at that time, Peaches: The Teaches of Peaches. After all these years of minimalism, it was the return of super-stylism, very much like it was in the eighties, but with a twenty-first-century approach—exactly like Peaches' music."

Helmut Lang, Fall 2003

"I did a remix of the Louise Bourgeois songs C'est le murmure de l'eau qui chante. It was very important for me, because afterwards I met Louise Bourgeois twice and we decided to make a record from this remix with a beautiful cover with one of her pictures."

Ready for Takeoff

"In 2004, I redesigned the sound inside Air France's fleet. It was the first plane company to commission that and I thought it was so contemporary. Very much in the continuation of Brian Eno's Music for Airports."
France's fleet. It was the first plane company to commission that and I thought it was so contemporary. Very much in the continuation of Brian Eno's Music for Airports."

The Hermès Connection

"My other great collaboration was with Hermès. I started working with this iconic French company with Martin Margiela, I think in the late nineties, and carried on with Jean Paul Gaultier. In 2006, they asked me to produce the music for a weekly radio program in Japan called L'air de Paris (very Marcel Duchamp) for a Tokyo station called J-Wave."
style.com

08-09-2010
lost in thought

Part II
Quote:

"In 2004, I did my first sound installation at the Musée du Louvre in Paris. My piece was called La Salamandre and was part of a group show called Contrepoint. And later, 2007, I joined the Galerie Serge Le Borgne in Paris, where I did my first solo show, Castles in the Air."

Monsieur Gainsbourg

"In 2008, I was the curator of the first exhibition about the French singer Serge Gainsbourg at the Cité de la Musique in Paris, with the help of his family. I asked all the artists that had collaborated with him, from Catherine Deneuve to Isabelle Adjani, to read the texts of his songs like poems."

Miu Miu, Fall 2010

"[This] was very much what I like to create—no music, just a mix of movie dialogue, going from Rainer Werner Fassbinder's Chinese Roulette to Luchino Visconti's Conversation Piece."

Anna Sui, Fall 2010

"The same season, you could also feel this very haute couture seventies/eighties inspiration in the Anna Sui collection, where I used the music from the French composer Georges Auric's Le boeuf sur le toit, inspired by Jean Cocteau and Raoul Dufy."

Marc Jacobs, Fall 2010

"To finish the decade, I really loved making that soundtrack for the last Marc Jacobs show, with different versions of the song 'Somewhere Over the Rainbow.' Very dreamy and full of hope."
style.com

25-09-2010
windowshopping

That style.com text made me doubt... is the fall 2010 Miu Miu show also illustrated with movie quotes? I thought it was Boy George. Or is that the unofficial soundtrack?

By the way, I would LOVE if anybody starts sharing links on pasts runway pieces by mr Sánchez.

26-09-2010
Alluring

^No, style.com made a mistake and put F/W 10 instead of F/W 09. Fall 2010 was indeed the mix of The Culture Club and Malcolm McLaren songs

I'd love other users to share some soundtrack too, especially those pre-Spring 2008. Did he put the music on his site before, actually? I'd die for some earlier Prada or Miu Miu compositions!

30-05-2011
Alluring

Frédéric Sanchez
Fantastic Man
April 2011

fredericsanchez.com

26-02-2012
backstage pass

HELP!

Desperately seeking an old Frederic Sanchez soundtrack...not sure who the designer was but it was about 5-6 years ago and starts off with a very intense, choppy score that reminds me of Danny Elfman/Batman soundtrack in the intro. Anyone../?

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
frederic, illustrator, sanchez, sound