How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Art of Noise
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

31-03-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by La bordélique View Post
What are your favorite songs from Visions? I'm completely in love with Circumambient, Skin and Nightmusic.

I'm going to see her in this Saturday! The tickets sold out awfully fast... I'm glad she's getting more and more popular.
Hope you're having a great time right now! .. I have to say, I didn't know much about her and wasn't that interested on the 'hype' but seeing you posting here made me want to find out and I've been hooked for weeks now, Colour of Music and Nightmusic are probably my favorites from Visions, and I love Darkbloom.

I got a similar impression as Srdjan while watching her vids, I feel like her live performances must be awesome (still naively wishing she makes a surprising appearance at Coachella!) but she seems to have trouble doing such extreme multitasking, which kind of breaks the mood at moments, I feel like she could benefit from some support.. I can't figure out how she'd do that though.

01-04-2012
earthbound

It's currently past 1 am... I just got back! Didn't go to the afterparty because I'm working tomorrow but still have time for the fashion spot OBVIOUSLY.

I had a really great time and wish her set lasted longer. It felt so short! I think she had only played 5 or 6 songs (Vanessa, Oblivion, Be A Body, Nightmusic, others I can't remember right now) with an elaborate intro and ending. The audience was very dance-y and singing along the the songs! Especially the Ooh-Oohs and La-la-las.

She sometimes had 2 or 3 of the supporting band's members to help her on stage so there weren't many twitches and her singing was especially great... it has really improved from her early performances that I saw on youtube of a few years ago. One thing I didn't like is how different some of her songs sounded. She'd sometimes have long interludes and come back to how the song sounds on the album. It was funny to notice a few heads nodding at the wrong beat because the songs were so warped. I guess I'm too boring, because I like hearing songs live how they appear on the album, but better and louder!

Oh yeah, and Nightmusic is AMAZING live!!!

01-04-2012
earthbound

Oh yeah and she wears Arielle de Pinto and a lot of Renata Morales, which are two awesome Montreal designers, so I have even more respect for her.

01-04-2012
V.I.P.

Sounds like you had an awesome time! .. thanks for sharing that!, I get so dance-y with Nightmusic, I can only imagine how it must sound live, gah, I'm so pissed she played near here just around the time I found out about her (feel like such a loser when that happens!).. someone better squeeze her into Coachella's lineup, I checked her tour dates and looks like she's got April off.

Ah, I knew about Renata Morales but not about Arielle de Pinto.. I love her, reminds me so much of good ol' Spacemiu (I think he was working with her or something like that? Scott might know).. not surprised to see her 'smooth' entrance into fashion then (e.g. the Dazed cover).

Stitch:the Hand

she wears arielle....i like her even more now!

yeah i'm not sure how they knew one another space and arielle but i'm assuming they sort of ran in the same fashion circles in NY.....and he was a big fan of her when he was posting here.

12-04-2012
backstage pass

I am surprised no one has mentioned Beast Infection

truly one of her best tracks
my fav is still My sister says the saddest things

the problem i have with her
is she has yet to learn when to hold back
to edit herself
some tracks can be cringe worthy
some sounds can be disturbing

saw her in NYC last year, she had some audio problems
but poor girl, was doing too much at once.
a one girl show indeed
very talented.

obvious singles from the new album
Nightmusic, oblivion, genesis

but yes, check out Beast Infection if you havent yet
and if you have some extra time

this track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtrOs-okKrE

Apparat - ash/black veil
they just started their tour
this track, live

earthbound

At Later with Jools Holland!

01-05-2012
front row

She is so good, awesome performance on Jools Holland.

14-05-2012
fashion icon

I'm surprised how people are disliking her & writing negative things in the youtube comments

Last edited by Scott; 14-05-2012 at 08:06 PM. Reason: not proper youtube code-Scott
14-05-2012

srdjan,what's the full url for the vid? it doesn't show up and when i went to edit,it was half of the link.

is anybody else in love nightmusic? it's like a nice mash-up of felt mountain era goldfrapp and the current uppity direction of royksopp.

14-05-2012
earthbound

Yes LOVE the song, but not the video... I have a problem with the frame rate of the slowmo parts in the forests. Against the beautiful sci-fi parts, it looked cheap.

15-05-2012
fashion icon

@Scott It was Nightmusic (official video)

15-05-2012

15-05-2012

i have to agree with you la bordelique....to be honest,when i first saw it my first impression was that it looked like every other contrived attempt to be artsy by commercial performers.

srdjan,as to your comment about the opinions.....sadly,that's what happens when you put stuff like this on that needless vevo format.....you get these fans who are so immune to the homogenised pop-tart standard. and of course so many are insulting the way she sings more than anything....like the whole point of music is to understand lyrics....like silly puppets on a string. and i'm sure none of these people have ever heard of elizabeth fraser or listened to goldfrapp pre-supernature.

15-05-2012
V.I.P.

I can't even finish watching that, what the hell .. it's so awkward and contrived.. what a shame as it's one of my favorite songs, but I don't think I like most of her videos anyway.. she seems to have difficulty translating her sound to visuals.

I think I *might* be seeing her next month at some free festival in Pasadena.. kind of excited about that.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
grimes