How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Art of Noise
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

15-05-2012
fashion icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MulletProof View Post
she seems to have difficulty translating her sound to visuals.
Exactly. And also with translating it to live performances. I find her music deep & dreamy, so when I listen to it, I usually have something in my imagination that, of course, isn't in the video. And I don't mind.
And when it comes to live, I also don't find Grimes as somebody who can make the magic while performing (whether it's making that magic I feel while listening to the audios or the atmosphere a singer makes at a concert, when everybody's singing). But I guess she has to earn some money too

29-05-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
I think I *might* be seeing her next month at some free festival in Pasadena.. kind of excited about that.
Make Music festival? I'm going to that too!

Grimes is my latest musical obsession. A couple of friends recommended I give her a listen and I instantly fell in love. Truly exquisite music. I feel like I'm walking through a forest... in space.

17-06-2012
V.I.P.

^ did you see her performance yesterday??
Such a good show... 5-song show anyway but still.. her voice is amazing live, and I thought it was hilarious how all the guys in the crowd were totally smitten by Claire while the girls want to be Claire ... I wish things hadn't gotten tense so she could've at least played another song.
Hoping to see a full set in October

Last edited by MulletProof; 17-06-2012 at 12:15 PM.
22-08-2012
scenester

22-08-2012
fashion elite

Thats the most f**ked up video I´ve ever seen. Great photography through.

23-08-2012
V.I.P.

I'm now craving blond extensions. The Grimes complex getting to me too.

Still hoping to see her in October.. the XX are playing on the same date and apparently it's a no brainer. I hope to find someone that does prefer to see Grimes instead.

earthbound

I'm going to see her again in September! Yay!

23-08-2012
rising star

I have to agree about her having difficulties translating it all to visuals, i find most of her videos contrieved and awkward too,that said, i quite like the last one posted (genesis). Its weird enough for me to kind of like it

23-08-2012
V.I.P.

Quote:
I'm now craving blond extensions. The Grimes complex getting to me too.

Still hoping to see her in October.. the XX are playing on the same date and apparently it's a no brainer. I hope to find someone that does prefer to see Grimes instead.
I'm somehow wanting that icy blonde hair color
Was I the only one getting a Sailor Moon vibe from her look in her latest music video?

Oh, that sucks they're both playing on the same day, but likewise, I'd rather opt for Grimes than the XX. I'm now furiously debating whether or not to attend her concert in Oct.

Last edited by LagerfeldBoy; 23-08-2012 at 05:42 PM.
23-08-2012
earthbound

I've already seen the XX and Grimes live, and while I prefer the XX (musicwise), it's something I prefer listening to in my room with headphones. If I wanted to go see a show with friends between the two, I'd choose Grimes.

24-08-2012
Stitch:the Hand

is it me or does it seem like she's making some kind of ironic gesture at pop culture with that video? the courtney love look-alike....that gaga thing....britney....

24-08-2012
V.I.P.

^ I can see that but admittedly I didn't watch the video all the way through.

Wow, seems like a lot of us are going to see Grimes in October. I can't wait, I'm seeing her in a very small, intimate venue so it should we very good.

24-08-2012
backstage pass

I saw her once last year at the New Museum in ny, then I saw her again last week at a free show on the hudson river which was really cool! I really liked her set and seemed like she was having a good time. I agree about the editing though, there was one song that was pretty terrible, totally cheesy and boring. I think she's become pretty popular really fast and her live show and visuals will take some time to really synch up and be as refined as her sound. But overall still think she's fun and the music and her style is interesting. I read somewhere she built a boathouse with her bf and sailed down the mississippi?

04-09-2012
earthbound

she has such a beautiful voice here! the place looks too familiar lol.

04-09-2012
V.I.P.

^ hauntingly beautiful .. the kind of sound I always associated with Montreal for some reason, influenced by Constellation Records artists I guess.

The song is slightly similar to Skin right? (except Skin's nowhere as raw). Wish she played some of that stuff live.

Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
grimes