How to Join
the Fashion Spot / the Sidewalk Café / the Art of Noise
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Rules Links Mobile How to Join

05-07-2009
Geometric Discharge

Mazzy Star
I've just discovered this band (from a Virgin Media advert, don't you know) and I really love them . . It's just, the mood of all of their songs seems to be pretty melancholy and I don't know if I need to become more melancholy . .

I think they're an early nineties band . . Has anyone heard of them/like them?

05-07-2009
Stitch:the Hand

^they are. i used to listen to them as a teen and still has much resonance now. among my swan...so tonight that i might see which rendered their most-popular and utterly beautiful 'fade into you' are my favourites.

hope sandoval has had a nice solo career as well with the warm interventions,who are coming out with a new album in september,as well as collaborating with various artists including jesus and mary chain. she's also contributing vocals on massive attack's upcoming album.

05-07-2009
V.I.P.

Wow, I didn't know there wasn't a thread. I absolutely love this band, one of my fav, they made the most saddest songs I know. Her voice is so beautiful is unbeliavable. They made made many good songs, their most famous is "Fade into you" ... that "Into Dust" is very good. just to name a few I love: Halah, Take everything, Blue light, Ride it on.

Love this group so much.
It's just a shame that this band is over.

09-07-2009
windowshopping

New Hope Sandoval and the Warm Inventions album 'Through The Devil Softly' on September 15!

Here's an mp3 of Blanchard, the opening track: https://www.box.net/shared/static/x7rrnioi5o.mp3

hope should do a collaboration with cat power....they have such kindred styles but the voice contrasts could be lovely...

11-07-2009
V.I.P.

I've always thought that she should make a duet with mark lanegan..talk about sexy!!

12-07-2009
backstage pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by melfreya View Post
I've always thought that she should make a duet with mark lanegan..talk about sexy!!
That's a brilliant idea. I'd like to see her do another track with the Jesus and Mary Chain...that track makes me shiver it's so incredible.

12-07-2009
V.I.P.

Quote:
Mazzy Star Crooner Readies Return
With Hope Sandoval and the Warm Inventions

In 1993, Mazzy Star’s Hope Sandoval released the dream-pop gem “Fade Into You,” a dusty, lilting ballad that served as the soundtrack to make-out sessions for Converse-clad alterna-dorks everywhere. The notoriously reclusive Californian hasn’t cracked the mainstream since, opting to release a few records here and there with various projects.

But there’s good news: Sandoval is back. With her band Hope Sandoval and the Warm Inventions (which features My Bloody Valentine drummer Colm Ó Cíosóig), Sandoval is gearing up to release her second record since the act’s 2001 debut Bavarian Fruit Bread. The new disc Through the Devil Softly — out September 15th — is a lovely, 11-track collection of narcotic, folk tunes centered by Sandoval’s breathy, irresistible seductive croon. So what took so long? “I don’t really notice the time,” says Sandoval coyly. “We don’t keep track of the days and months. And the years.”

Sandoval and Ó Cíosóig cut the disc with their crack band over the last few years in Northern California and the countryside of Wicklow County, Ireland, which no doubt helped imbue tunes like the winsome “Wild Roses” with a loose, pastoral vibe. “It was really nice to go there,” says Ó Cíosóig. “It’s pretty remote. There was nothing but cows next door, a lake and a little pub down the road.”

Highlights from the record include the haunting, blues-esque opener “Blanchard” and the spare piano-and-acoustic-guitar ballad “Bluebird,” where Sandoval’s heavily echoed vocals come up so close, it’s as if she’s whispering in your ear. “Is that the devil in your sky?” she asks. “Is that what’s glowing in your eyes?”

Sandoval is notoriously terrified about performing in public. But she’s willing to hit the road with her band for some intimate club shows this fall (dates will be announced in the coming weeks). “I enjoy singing with a band playing behind me,” she says, “it’s just that the audience is nerve wracking — even if it’s just 400 or 500 people.”

As for Mazzy Star, Sandoval confirms her and her bandmate David Roback haven’t called it quits and they are still working on their anticipated fourth album. But she declines to give many specifics. “It’s true we’re still together,” she says. “We’re almost finished [with the record]. But I have no idea what that means.”

-Kevin O'Donnell
Source: Rollingstone.com

she's supposed to be contributing on massive attack's upcoming album...should be very lovely!!

13-07-2009
V.I.P.

Nice seeing you here, Filipe :-P

I like them too!
Recently converted fan
thanks to cryingdiamonds

It's not melancholy to me at all though Very nice music, and sweet voice

13-07-2009
V.I.P.

merged threads..

V.I.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary-Anne View Post
This is GREAT NEWS! I can't wait!

Thank you for posting

16-07-2009
front row

I like her track on the Cherry Blossom Girl single
http://www.discogs.com/AIR-Cherry-Bl...release/238068

17-07-2009
V.I.P.

I adore her short 'couldnt-give-a-toss' answers and responses, and that she has a fear of performing publicly is endearing and charming. She never speaks to the audience during shows.

Anyhow, Mary-Anne, thank you for posting the interview.

Last edited by LetThemEatCake; 17-07-2009 at 03:54 PM.
28-07-2009
V.I.P.

Welcome

I found the new song Blanchard on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_DA-...layer_embedded

Last edited by Mary-Anne; 28-07-2009 at 02:47 PM.
Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Tags
hope, mazzy, sandoval, star